You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

He hasn’t sprinted for 6 years.  He shits out of headers from long balls.  He’s not interested in passing the ball when he’s on the pitch and didn’t put his foot in when he was at his peak so he won’t be doing it now.  Scoring 1 goal over two years in the champions league against a lazy PSG side at home in one of the hardest working sides to have ever graced the game does not mean he should be getting a game for anybody in this league.  The further you drop down the league the harder the forwards have to work and the less chances they get.  Fulham are shit and Mitrovic isn’t great but he’s better than what Sturridge would be for them now.

He’s not good enough to play for the top half teams and he doesn’t have enough to his game to play for the lower half clubs.  The minimum requirement for a player at any club in this league now is hard work and commitment on the pitch and he doesn’t have those.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

He hasn’t sprinted for 6 years.  He shits out of headers from long balls.  He’s not interested in passing the ball when he’s on the pitch and didn’t put his foot in when he was at his peak so he won’t be doing it now.  Scoring 1 goal over two years in the champions league against a lazy PSG side at home in one of the hardest working sides to have ever graced the game does not mean he should be getting a game for anybody in this league.  The further you drop down the league the harder the forwards have to work and the less chances they get.  Fulham are shit and Mitrovic isn’t great but he’s better than what Sturridge would be for them now.

He’s not good enough to play for the top half teams and he doesn’t have enough to his game to play for the lower half clubs.  The minimum requirement for a player at any club in this league now is hard work and commitment on the pitch and he doesn’t have those.

That's up there with your Dirk's flying challenge was never a red card.

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Which brings us back to injury issues and how real or not they were . He was outstanding with Suarez then nothing. 

I think there's a bit missing in that last sentence.

He was outstanding, then he missed a season through injury (or through not wanting to play, if you want to take the word of that bloke down the pub who reckons his brother-in-law had the tea-lady from Melwood in the back of his cab and she said it's just his attitude) then he was a shadow of his former self.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Torres was overrated and Daniel underrated. 'Nowhere near Torres level good' is an embarrassing take, go have a nap.

Ermm, no.

Wor Dan had a purple patch playing alongside the best player in the world at the time. We know he was nowhere near Suarez level good.

He scored more than 10 league golas in a season twice - that is in his entire career. What is that, like 15 seasons?

Torres did that 8 seasons in a row, 3 for us, playing with fellas like Crouch and N'gog.

The greatness that was Dirk Kuyt scored more than 10 league golas 10 times in his career - three times just for us.

Heck he probably scored more golas for us overall than Sturridge.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

Yet he never received a red card or was banned retrospectively.  Sturridge also hasn’t signed for anybody in the premier league either.

Yes, he never received a red card because Clattenburg says he didnt have a good view of the incident and if VAR had been in use, he would have given a red for it.

Like I said, the acid test for me is, if Dirk was an oppo, would I have expected a red for it and my answer is yes. Dirk wasnt a dirty player. He was just wild there and for him, lucky he didnt make contact.

Such insight you have regarding Sturridge's current situation as well.

Sturridge was a massive talent. For various reasons his career didn't match his ability, but he was a lovely player to watch when he was on song.

I have no negative feelings towards him at all, I just wish he'd have been able to fulfil his potential with us.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Sturridge was a massive talent. For various reasons his career didn't match his ability, but he was a lovely player to watch when he was on song.

I have no negative feelings towards him at all, I just wish he'd have been able to fulfil his potential with us.

Agree here 100%

Part of being a world class footballer is the ability to play world class football regularly.

For any number of reasons known and unknown he was unable to do that. 

Players mentioned, like Torres and Suarez, were. In Suarez' case he still is and he is a couple years older.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, he never received a red card because Clattenburg says he didnt have a good view of the incident and if VAR had been in use, he would have given a red for it.

Like I said, the acid test for me is, if Dirk was an oppo, would I have expected a red for it and my answer is yes. Dirk wasnt a dirty player. He was just wild there and for him, lucky he didnt make contact.

Such insight you have regarding Sturridge's current situation as well.

Then why wasn’t he banned retrospectively.  He didn’t make any contact with the player at all.  He wasn’t lucky he made no contact because he goes nowhere near Neville. His studs and feet are literally turned away from him.  Neville eventually comes closer as Kuyt’s upper body slides along the floor and he jumps in the air.

In regards to Sturridge it’s the same insight anyone with a pair of eyes should have.  He was great when he first arrived for about 2 years before he completely deteriorated.   The reason he’s not signed by anyone is because he’s no longer good enough.  If a club panics and offers him a deal you will see how bad he is again.  The article says that the reason he hasn’t been signed is because people think he’s got a bad attitude and that’s wrong and is making excuses for how bad Sturridge become.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think there's a bit missing in that last sentence.

He was outstanding, then he missed a season through injury (or through not wanting to play, if you want to take the word of that bloke down the pub who reckons his brother-in-law had the tea-lady from Melwood in the back of his cab and she said it's just his attitude) then he was a shadow of his former self.

I think the answer as usual lies somewhere in the middle. No doubt he did have injury issues but he certainly wasn't a player like VvD that would play with a leg hanging off if he could. Anyway no one can take away the season with Suarez when the pair of them damn nearly won the title for us. 

On 27/10/2020 at 11:24, The Guest said:

While I think there's hyperbole in the that, with the criticism toned down, I can see valid points about his performance. I would agree that Mitrovic is more important to Fulham than Sturridge would be; Mitrovic played 82 league games with 40 goals for Fulham, Sturridge has played 17 league games, scoring 4 goals in Turkey within the same 3 year time frame. He's also without a club due to a 4 month worldwide football ban.

Micah Richard's article reads like a friends justification, but it's neither insightful or enlightening. It opens with "Daniel Sturridge is far too good a player to be out of the Premier League after only just turning 31 but, let's face it, the reason he is currently without a club has got nothing to do with his age, or his ability. It's not because of his injury history or wage demands, either - it's down to the label he's been given as being difficult, or a problem player. I have no idea where that perception has come from, but it is a reputation that is completely undeserved."

If I was calling it for reasons he's without a club, I'd say wage>injury history>age>attitude>ability - ultimately he chooses to sign or refuse what he's offered, given that it's October it's fairly natural to assume his desire to play will be questioned. Talent is the last of my worries, I hope he doesn't let it go to further waste while weighing up his options.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ElishaScottBC said:

While I think there's hyperbole in the that, with the criticism toned down, I can see valid points about his performance. I would agree that Mitrovic is more important to Fulham than Sturridge would be; Mitrovic played 82 league games with 40 goals for Fulham, Sturridge has played 17 league games, scoring 4 goals in Turkey within the same 3 year time frame. He's also without a club due to a 4 month worldwide football ban.

Micah Richard's article reads like a friends justification, but it's neither insightful or enlightening. It opens with "Daniel Sturridge is far too good a player to be out of the Premier League after only just turning 31 but, let's face it, the reason he is currently without a club has got nothing to do with his age, or his ability. It's not because of his injury history or wage demands, either - it's down to the label he's been given as being difficult, or a problem player. I have no idea where that perception has come from, but it is a reputation that is completely undeserved."

If I was calling it for reasons he's without a club, I'd say wage>injury history>age>attitude>ability - ultimately he chooses to sign or refuse what he's offered, given that it's October it's fairly natural to assume his desire to play will be questioned. Talent is the last of my worries, I hope he doesn't let it go to further waste while weighing up his options.

If he went to Fulham and said I’ll play for you for £500 a week I’m sure Fulham would take it so you’re probably right on the wage front.  After about a month of being there I don’t reckon he would start another game for them because he’s physically finished.