You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

Hope for his sake he’s done what they’ve suggested.To have missed the amount of football he has in the past 5 or 6 years and then have this happen would be tough to take for anyone, if it’s not justified. 

To be honest I agree with him that this betting on players going to different clubs shouldn’t even be a thing. Sounds like a load of bollocks for degenerate gamblers who’ll bet on anything.

• 7 months later...

Nice lad and on his day a brilliant striker, but there were far too many noises coming out of the club about how he wouldn’t play if he didn’t feel 100%, and when your club captain has to take you for a long walk and chat to convince you, virtually beg you, to take the field against Utd, well that’s not good.

5 hours ago, aws said:

I think he had a reputation for being arrogant at one time but I never saw it with us. 

If there was any problem with his attitude Klopp would have binned him off way before he left us.

Its obliviously his injury record, and his unwillingness to risk himself if he's not 100%. Interestingly in the last year of his contract here he didn't miss any games through injury and looked rejuvenated at the start of the season, ultimately it was too little too late for him here under Klopp. 

In the current climate, not many clubs would be interested in taking on a player with his injury record and lack of commitment, understandably so. Qatar, China or USA would be his best hope. 

33 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

In the current climate, not many clubs would be interested in taking on a player with his injury record and lack of commitment, understandably so. Qatar, China or USA would be his best hope. 

Jack Wilshere has a shittier attitude. Not sure if his injury record is any better, but I’d rather than Sturridge on the bench than Wilshere.

Ravel Morrison had Premier League contract last season. He managed one game for Sheffield United of course, before they binned him off on a loan deal. Sturridge’s attitude and reliability is on a different planet to that tosser. 

And we’ve had both Sturridge and Balotelli at the club simultaneously. One of them will be remembered with warmth and appreciation. The other is, at best, a future pub quiz question. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

At his peak he was at good as Torres in his pomp. That first 20 months he felt like a guaranteed goal, unbelievablely good dribbler too always went past the defender with ease.

Oh come off it. He was good but nowhere near Torres level good. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Richards is chatting some shite in that article.  He might be blinded because he’s his mate but Sturridge isn’t getting picked up by anyone because he’s completely and utterly finished at the premier league level.  There was talk of him leaving for good and when he went on loan to West Brom and I think he realised the best place for him was on the bench at Liverpool where he could come on in games where we just needed a goal and he didn’t have to do at lot of running or holding the ball up.

I don’t think he had a bad attitude in terms of being a knobhead or influencing players around him negatively but to assume that’s a fact because Klopp didn’t bin him off I think is daft.  He was our Ozil/Sanchez.  He was on 150k a week with a shocking injury record.  He provided more for the club as a sub than just paying his contract up and telling him to leave.

I doubt he’s demanding 150k a week now or even half of that but giving him anything is throwing money down the drain and clubs are now more intelligent than they’ve ever been.  Lesser clubs handing contracts to past it players from bigger teams is happening less and less because of how often it’s failed.

6 hours ago, magicrat said:

My issue was when Suarez left he just basically refused to step up and lead the line.  Quite happy as a sidekick but didn't like pressure or responsibility. 

Yeah, in his 2 league starts and 5 sub appearances, he really should have stamped his authority. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Guest said:

Richards is chatting some shite in that article.  He might be blinded because he’s his mate but Sturridge isn’t getting picked up by anyone because he’s completely and utterly finished at the premier league level.  There was talk of him leaving for good and when he went on loan to West Brom and I think he realised the best place for him was on the bench at Liverpool where he could come on in games where we just needed a goal and he didn’t have to do at lot of running or holding the ball up.

I don’t think he had a bad attitude in terms of being a knobhead or influencing players around him negatively but to assume that’s a fact because Klopp didn’t bin him off I think is daft.  He was our Ozil/Sanchez.  He was on 150k a week with a shocking injury record.  He provided more for the club as a sub than just paying his contract up and telling him to leave.

I doubt he’s demanding 150k a week now or even half of that but giving him anything is throwing money down the drain and clubs are now more intelligent than they’ve ever been.  Lesser clubs handing contracts to past it players from bigger teams is happening less and less because of how often it’s failed.

Can't be arsed reading a Micah Richards article about anything to be honest but IMO the only reason Daniel is without a team right now is COVID. Certainly isn't finished at Premier League level, in his last season for us he scored against PSG in the Champions League group stages and I'm supposed to believe he wouldn't be a better option for Fulham than Aleksander fucking Mitrovic or whoever the heck WBA play up front? I see your point re: clubs being more cautious but simply can't agree giving him anything is throwing money down the drain - he was fit more often than not at the end of his time here but would never get a game because he simply was not good enough for European champions and PL champions elect. Neither was Danny Ings (and he was also injured far more than Sturridge) and he's currently ripping up the league and trending to be a golden boot winner.

Anyway who cares - we all probably have different opinions on it. However I think any sane Liverpool fan loves the lad and only wishes him well, and you'd have to be a bad meff to believe any talk about a bad attitude (not that anyone on here does). Contrary to that, I think Sturridge was actually one of the first positive tone-setters at the start of Klopps reign, I'm pretty sure Hendo would be the first to attest to as much.

Really hope he finds somewhere to end his career. He was a class act all round and world class on his day.

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Neither was Danny Ings (and he was also injured far more than Sturridge) and he's currently ripping up the league and trending to be a golden boot winner.

A lot of Premier League sides play with one striker. I’m not sure that Sturridge could do that, certainly not nowadays, but Southampton play twin strikers and I reckon he’d be a decent Christmas signing for them on an OK basic wage plus a big goal bonus. 

Hodgson fucked him in England training when he should have been rested. That injury fucked him up at precisely the wrong moment. The ‘attitude’ issue was refusing to play through pain and Klopp took a view on that. Huge sympathy for the lad. Remember Owen talking about it and how it feels when you know you’re hamstring will snap? Some unbelievable goals (2 v West Brom, Chelsea away, Sevilla) and a fantastic record against the mancs and the shite. He carried us when Suarez was banned at the start of 13/14 too.

• Upvote 4