You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

He’s utterly mental. His talent is that of a once in a generation striker — take a compilation of his greatest goals and the likes of Kane will pale in comparison — but he’s just let years of what should have been his peak slip. Incredible knowing that we finally have at least one world class talent ready from the bench.

7 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

Great goal, great contribution, and he can be a good option for us this season. But I'm honestly a bit conflicted - seems more than coincidence that he's playing at something like his "normal" level all of a sudden. Like he's suddenly decided to be arsed. But hopefully he keeps banging them in, obviously. 

It's because he's out of contract this summer so it was easy to predict that he's gonna step it up this season. No matter as it's to our benefit. 

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's because he's out of contract this summer so it was easy to predict that he's gonna step it up this season. No matter as it's to our benefit. 

Utter bollocks. We’re not Stoke City or Aston Villa. It’s fair to assume his motivation this season isn’t monetary. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DimReaper said:

Great goal, great contribution, and he can be a good option for us this season. But I'm honestly a bit conflicted - seems more than coincidence that he's playing at something like his "normal" level all of a sudden. Like he's suddenly decided to be arsed. But hopefully he keeps banging them in, obviously. 

He plays at his normal level when he's fully fit.  That really is all there has ever been to it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

For good reason. He has hardly fucking played for 3 years. He's wasted the best part of his career, incredibly frustrating.

His injuries have wasted the best years of his career.  He's this century's Alf Arrowsmith.  The fact that he can go through that - not only the frustration of being unable to play, but also having to watch as the club fill his place either with turd like Balotelli and Benteke or with genuinely lethal strikers who threaten his ability to ever reclaim a place - and still come back with cameo performances and goals like we've seen this season is a testament to a strength of character that everyone claims he doesn't have.

I think I love him.

• Upvote 3

Fit until December last year.  Never once broke a sweat.  So it’s nonsense to suggest it’s all been injuries.

If he keeps doing what he’s doing, we all win.  We get a back up striker worth a few goals.  He gets a contract at a West Ham type club and then we finally free up the wages we have been wasting for years to bring in someone who can actually run.

Maybe he is just more likely to play through the pain when there's more at stake. 

2013/14 apparently Gerrard has to go out of his way a few times to get Danny on the pitch instead of nursing his bruised Vagina. This year is our best chance since then for us to challenge for the title, so he's stepping up. 

Or maybe he's playing through the pain now because he isnt as worried about the lasting effects of doing so, he's getting towards the end of his career anyway so he's thinking fuck it I'm going balls deep. 

Maybe it's money.

Maybe he's put on some extra muscle over the summer, and that's made him less injury prone. 

There's something about him that's changed anyway, and it's can only be a good thing that he's getting his form back. 

37 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Fit until December last year.  Never once broke a sweat.  So it’s nonsense to suggest it’s all been injuries.

If he keeps doing what he’s doing, we all win.  We get a back up striker worth a few goals.  He gets a contract at a West Ham type club and then we finally free up the wages we have been wasting for years to bring in someone who can actually run.

This. He has a massive incentive to play well and stay fit this season, and lo and behold he's consistently scoring goals again. That's all there is to it. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Utter bollocks. We’re not Stoke City or Aston Villa. It’s fair to assume his motivation this season isn’t monetary. 

People like Gerrard and Klopp have openly and publicly questioned his mentality in the past. Remember the "Daniel must know the difference between pain and serious pain" quote? Do people actually think he's been trying his hardest these past few years? Come on. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This. He has a massive incentive to play well and stay fit this season, and low and behold he's consistently scoring goals again. That's all there is to it. 

People like Gerrard and Klopp have openly and publicly questioned his mentality in the past. Remember the "Daniel must know the difference between pain and serious pain" quote? Do people actually think he's been trying his hardest these past few years? Come on. 

I get people giving him grief when he’s anonymous and ineffective. I don’t get the trawling around for negative motivations when he’s scoring huge goals in our domestic and European campaigns.

It’s almost like you’re gutted that he’s undermining a long-held conviction of yours. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I get people giving him grief when he’s anonymous and ineffective. I don’t get the trawling around for negative motivations when he’s scoring huge goals in our domestic and European campaigns.

It’s almost like you’re gutted that he’s undermining a long-held conviction of yours. 

Your last sentence is bollocks. I said this summer that he'd be brilliant this season and I explained why I thought that was gonna be the case. Almost everyone on here disagreed with me. Read the thread for proof. 

I've given him zero grief. I don't give a crap if he's now trying compared to other seasons. In fact, my thought process for thinking he was gonna be good this season was precisely because he couldn't possibly keep giving less of a shit if he wanted to have a decent future.

Yeah - I don't think anyone is frowning on him as so long as its working now who cares about the past, but as above, it is a pretty funny coincidence that this upturn was predicted. Its never been in doubt that he's an exceptional player - it's also not in doubt that he bounced around, from City to Chelsea to us, had a great initial 18 months rewarded by a bumper contract .. then faded .. and we all know the comical December stat. The quotes also mentioned above (and others) are also there in writing .. and the rumours of not getting on well with Suarez .. well, he's certainly an interesting personality. Today was up there with his absolute best goals (like the chip against West Brom in '13) -- he's outrageously gifted and long may it continue.

There's never been any doubt over his class. He's probably the best natural penalty box finisher we've had since Fowler, the question has always been over his attitude to his body and his injuries. If he can put a cork in that and find his form once and for all then great.

Players like him have to come to that conclusion on their own. Realise that it's  a short career and he can grasp it now and win things with a big club and maybe get his England place back, or fizzle out at somewhere like West Brom and fade into shouldda coulda woulda obscurity.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

His injuries have wasted the best years of his career.  He's this century's Alf Arrowsmith.  The fact that he can go through that - not only the frustration of being unable to play, but also having to watch as the club fill his place either with turd like Balotelli and Benteke or with genuinely lethal strikers who threaten his ability to ever reclaim a place - and still come back with cameo performances and goals like we've seen this season is a testament to a strength of character that everyone claims he doesn't have.

I think I love him.

His injuries? The ones that the medical team regularly couldn’t find? He’s been good this season so far. He has it all to prove and I won’t trust him him until he’s been available for 90% of it. 

• Upvote 1