You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

10 minutes ago, Captain said:

I thought he made us a weaker team. He scored one free header and missed another.

We looked a completely different team when Bobby came on.

What did you expect? He scored and was decent with the ball. That what he does now, he was never gonna run a marathon or make us as good as we are with Firmino. You can admit he was good for what he is, it's not that hard to admit that even for a player you may not like.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

What did you expect? He scored and was decent with the ball. That what he does, he was never gonna run a marathon or beat Thiago Silva for pace. You can admit he was good for what he is, it's not that hard to admit that even for a player you may not like.

I expected pretty much what I saw, a previously top player who hasn't got the legs anymore and is detrimental to the overall all play of the team because he can't run. His 'pressing' was more or less embarrassing, Gini even went past him to press their defenders in the first half!

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain said:

I expected pretty much what I saw, a previously top player who hasn't got the legs anymore and is detrimental to the overall all play of the team because he can't run. His 'pressing' was more or less embarrassing, Gini even went past him to press their defenders in the first half!

I get what you’re saying but we’re comparing him to Roberto Firmino. There are no other #9’s that can press like he does. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Captain said:

His pressing and defending were fine. PSG did nothing with the ball. We beat one of the most talented teams in Europe with him playing up front and scoring (albeit PSG were shite but that's not his fault). He's a part time player now and the time he was called upon, he did his job. There's nothing more he can do. 

• Upvote 1

Seen a stat that indicates that he was on pace to run 11.3km if he'd stayed on for the full 90. That's excellent, better than Firmino usually does!

Obviously he's not as good at pressing as Bobby - it doesn't come naturally to him, but he worked very hard tonight. Hard to fault him for anything, especially as he's scored a good goal.

Klopp after the game, speaking about Sturridge:

"Daniel (Sturridge) played a super game. I have never seen him as fit as he is in the moment. He was everywhere. He helped left and right and he was in the box when he was needed."

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I get what you’re saying but we’re comparing him to Roberto Firmino. There are no other #9’s that can press like he does. 

True enough, but that's the biggest problem with our squad: The massive drop in quality from any of the front three.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

His pressing and defending were fine. PSG did nothing with the ball. We beat one of the most talented teams in Europe with him playing up front and scoring (albeit PSG were shite but that's not his fault). He's a part time player now and the time he was called upon, he did his job. There's nothing more he can do. 

No, it wasn't. Like I said before, at times in the first half Gini was doing his job for him. Sturridge was just jogging around.

Fair do's to Sturridge tonight...i was vocal about not wanting him in team tonight - concerned about his suitability to how we are best set up...but he scored and after not doing much 1st half aside from the goal i thought he worked hard in 2nd and tried to get involved a lot and did....ok he is limited now and can't really run but he tried his heart out 2nd half to do what he could and got stuck in and left one on keeper (ok a better touch he scores) but still.....fair do's to him.

7 minutes ago, Captain said:

No, it wasn't. Like I said before, at times in the first half Gini was doing his job for him. Sturridge was just jogging around.

That's patently untrue as Ne Moe has pointed out with his KM's run stat. I get it, you're at the point where nothing he does will be good enough, so it's no point discussing.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's patently untrue as Ne Moe has pointed out with his KM's run stat. I get it, you're at the point where nothing he does will be good enough, so it's no point discussing.

I haven't commented at all on how far he moved during the game, I've commented on how he did it and how one of his team mates had to do his job for him in the first half.

I'm delighted we managed to still look fucking rampant with him starting, first time in many a year.  He wasn't great by any means but managed to get on the score sheet in the first half & actually played much better second half, contributing to us bossing them off the fucking park.

If he can do that when it's needed it'll be a massive fucking help to our hopes of success & he can sign off on a relative high after stealing a living at the club for donkeys.  Obviously Bobby came on and showed us all why we hope it's not needed too often.

Delighted for him and it really was a nice moment and I think an important moment, that was a huge game and played at such a high intensity, it's been a long long time since Sturridge delivered for us on the big occasion, probably West Ham away 16-17 last time. For Sturridge to show that he's capable of being relied upon in a game of that magnitude could really be a blessing this season. It was a great header and thought his touch and passing were generally excellent, some of those cute flicks around the corner were gorgeous, only thing lacking for me today was those quick stepovers, in his prime he was an absolutely superb dribbler always put defenders on the back foot and got past them, he didn't back himself tonight in that regard but fair play tonight Studge, well in lad.

• Upvote 1

He did what you expect him too, other than miss that second header

He was ok, but showed how important Bobby is to our play. 

He is still probably the best penalty area striker at the club but he doesn't have the physical skills to do do what he once did which is a massive shame. Still reckon he will score some important goals this year.