You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

No idea, it would help if we had could free up a couple hundred grand a week to throw at someone though - that would mean binning off Benteke and Sturridge.

I think at this point we would struggle to convince players the level of Higuain or Cavani ( and they are a cut above the top strikers in the world and both will be available) to come here so it means we will need to find some traction elsewhere or throw bigger wages than another team would.

Have you looked at his stats other then the year he played with Suarez?

He was a 1 in 3 before and has been since. In fact even including that time he is barely above that.

Never have I said he is not a good player (though I cringe when I hear him mentioned in the same company as Suarez, Fowler, Rush etc)  but I don't believe he is a world class striker nor is he the player we can start the season with thinking he has the ability to lead Liverpools line to challenging at the top because he will not play more than 20-25 games a season. That is not really opinion that is based on 10 plus years of performances.

He will be 27 beginning of next, do you think he will string together three 35+ game seasons at the top of the game?

No, I'd definitely be surprised if he did string together a large number of games anytime soon. I'm not massively pro-Sturridge in any way. I'll be happy whatever Klopp decides he wants to do with him in the summer. I'm pretty sure you are wrong about Sturridge's goal record without Suarez though. Reason I know this is because I remember looking it up and posting about it when we first bought him and I realised we'd basically robbed Chelsea blind. I'll see if I can find my post.

• Upvote 1

I just saw a post where I pointed out that only Van Persie (when he was good), Tevez and Aguero had a better goals per minute record than him over the previous 2 years. That was when he was 23 and we'd just signed him. There was another post way later on about him being around a goal every 106 minutes for us. Either way, all it takes is to look back and remember just how many matches Suarez missed for us at times due to getting into trouble. Sturridge was scoring just as many during those spells. His goals were getting us through those spells.

Because the overriding feeling is that he's selfish and not willing to put a shift in for the team. He was shite on Thursday and instead of applauding the support and accepting the manager's decision he stropped off like a stroppy child.

That just illustrates how worthless "the general feeling" is.

When he's fit, he generally scores goals and scares defenders.  Even the other night he very nearly scored an absolute beast.  His apparent "selfishness" isn't a problem; strikers are supposed to take a shot on from time to time (especially when they are clearly the best finisher in the squad).  Nor is he unwilling to put a shift in; I don't expect him to be as busy as Suarez (nobody is) but he's certainly no Balotelli.  And as has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with a player who has been accused of not wanting to play wanting to continue playing.  The rest of the stuff about his "attitude" is just the latest version of the bullshit that goes round about all injured players; spurious, unsubstantiated claptrap from knobs who want to tell everyone "the real reason he's not playing".

What about the time when Suarez went mental after being subbed off? where's the consistency here? Sturridge was wrong to snarl at Klopp when he came off, but maybe it's his way of showing us that he does care about playing for the club.

He's been getting dogs abuse for supposedly faking injuries and has been accused of not wanting to play because of slight niggles, basically challenging his commitment to the cause. Then when he's visibly angry about not being able to continue playing for us....he gets slagged off for that as well, so it's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't.

He's an openly proud black man who doesn't feel the need to try and fit in to white culture. Of course he's going to suspicion cast on him. 

Btw, I happen to think he's a prick, but not for the reasons others do. All rich people are pricks in my eye. 

Exactly the same as last year. His return to the lone striker role in place of Sterling helped derail the run we were on, despite him being a far better player and it not being worth the wasted breath comparing their finishing ability.

Play him in a two or from the bench for the moment. I don't blame him for his current condition, but it will cost us if he carries on starting games on his own up there.

Yep 100%

He cannot play up from in his own anymore.

It was a disaster last season when he came in.

He's an openly proud black man who doesn't feel the need to try and fit in to white culture. Of course he's going to suspicion cast on him. 

Btw, I happen to think he's a prick, but not for the reasons others do. All rich people are pricks in my eye.

Disagree, mate.

I think it's because this forum is full of absolute lunatics.

He'll score 6 in his next 10 games, and the consensus will shift, like it did 2 months ago.

Really good posters see their arses and get hysterical, 'cause he's the guy who gets us a place in the champions league and could decimate Dortmund.

• Upvote 2

When he's fit, he generally scores goals and scares defenders.  Even the other night he very nearly scored an absolute beast.  His apparent "selfishness" isn't a problem; strikers are supposed to take a shot on from time to time (especially when they are clearly the best finisher in the squad).  Nor is he unwilling to put a shift in; I don't expect him to be as busy as Suarez (nobody is) but he's certainly no Balotelli.  And as has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with a player who has been accused of not wanting to play wanting to continue playing.  The rest of the stuff about his "attitude" is just the latest version of the bullshit that goes round about all injured players; spurious, unsubstantiated claptrap from knobs who want to tell everyone "the real reason he's not playing".

Although it is true that the internet can generate hysteria in a bubble, I think that you do a disservice to those fans who watch the team regularly, either in person, or on television. The “general feeling” can be far closer to the truth than you suggest.

Sturridge’s ability has never been in question. Any suggestions of selfishness merely part and parcel of being a top striker.

However you go off the rails when defending his preparedness to put a shift in and his attitude. The absence of songs celebrating him tells its own story. He didn’t leave Chelsea and Man City because his ability was in question, it was his attitude. And anyone who has ever had any experience of the Sturridge entourage is unlikely to be leaping to his defence.

With an EL final in sight, and the Euros just beyond that, few of us doubted that Sturridge’s appearance record would not improve.

The "general" frustration with him is not that he isn't a good player- it is because he is.

He's the most talented English striker by a distance. Hopefully his lack of sharpness at the moment is residual tiredness at a new fitness regime that might finally sort his issues out.

All that said, his absence for effectively most of two seasons means that he hasn't earned the right to react like he did when subbed on Thursday. Did he even acknowledge Origi?

Anyway, hopefully he'll be banging them in again soon and nobody will give a shiny shite about this storm in a shot glass.

I wish he didn't have to go to the euros in the summer, so Klopp could give him the most rigorous pre season ever and have him so fucking ready to explode out of the blocks when the season starts. Having said that, there are serious question marks about his body's ability to pass that test. The least he can do from now on is acknowledge the supporters, instead of acting like a petulant child.

When he's fit, he generally scores goals and scares defenders. Even the other night he very nearly scored an absolute beast. His apparent "selfishness" isn't a problem; strikers are supposed to take a shot on from time to time (especially when they are clearly the best finisher in the squad). Nor is he unwilling to put a shift in; I don't expect him to be as busy as Suarez (nobody is) but he's certainly no Balotelli. And as has been mentioned, there's nothing wrong with a player who has been accused of not wanting to play wanting to continue playing. The rest of the stuff about his "attitude" is just the latest version of the bullshit that goes round about all injured players; spurious, unsubstantiated claptrap from knobs who want to tell everyone "the real reason he's not playing".

Except it's not really is it? Our biggest game of the season, we're winning it, he gets subbed having been shit and he trudges off the pitch looking like he's swallowed a wasp. How's that anything other than a poor attitude? I really don't get the apologist stuff re Sturridge. Yes he's a good player, somewhat overrated on here imo, but he's a bit of a tit, let's be honest and nothing he does ever really screams "team player" or "commitment"

Lost his pace I reckon after the injuries. Whether he can rebuild and regain it remains to be seen, but I have my doubts. Owen, Torres and others have gone the same way. Once it's gone it's gone, and the player will never be the same again.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He scored a great goal, today.

Not really sure why it's his fault that Skrtel and our midfield bottled it.

Again. Cunts.

• Upvote 1

Lost his pace I reckon after the injuries. Whether he can rebuild and regain it remains to be seen, but I have my doubts. Owen, Torres and others have gone the same way. Once it's gone it's gone, and the player will never be the same again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was wondering during the game if he's simply lost his pace or he's being lazy, still don't know tbh.

I think he gets sold this summer if this is actually him now.