You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

His Substitution last night was the most obvious sub ive seen all season. Yet he had the gall to pull a face about it.

World class players turn up and make themselves noticed in big games.

Carling cup final

Man U Home Europa

Man U Away Europa

Those 3 games he has been pretty much anonymous, his attitude stinks to high heaven.

And ive never been more certain of anything, than Jurgen will be mightily pissed off with what he has seen. Seems the antithesis of a Klopp player.

I don't want players made up to be subbed but that was fucking disgraceful last night. I've always had him down as a sulking fucker but that was selfish as fuck. Clop should have a word there. 

giphy.gif

I imagine part of his rehab has involved building up the muscles around the problem area, which can leave a player feeling a bit heavy legged for a while after. He's a great player when on form, but he snubbed the fans when he walked off the pitch yesterday and that's a bit pathetic.

He's angry with us for doubting his desire. Well within his right too may I add. How dare we question someone who is constantly injured, with comments from ex and current colleagues about his ability to play through a niggle adding to that, plus having watched him wander around at barely a jogging pace for 60 odd minutes away at our fiercest rivals.

Great ability he may have, shite attitude he definitely has.

Exactly the same as last year. His return to the lone striker role in place of Sterling helped derail the run we were on, despite him being a far better player and it not being worth the wasted breath comparing their finishing ability.

Play him in a two or from the bench for the moment. I don't blame him for his current condition, but it will cost us if he carries on starting games on his own up there.

• Upvote 2

He was very good when Suarez was the best player in the world.

It is concerning, though probably not surprising, that he has been very much like he was before he came here since Suarez left.

I think that's an extremely simplistic analysis.

I think his ability is beyond question. He has simply scored too many goals of technical brilliance to suggest he isn't a world class striker on his day. Sadly, he's made of stilton, and doesn't appear to have a particularly robust mentality either, and for those reasons we don't see a consistently world class striker.

The one good game he had was early on when Ings came on and scored on a two on one with him. He needs energy next to him in a front 2, like he had with Suarez. His attitude is still shite but it would be more apparent to him and everyone else if played with another striker whose work rate embarrasses him. Divlock will do for now.

The top strikers in every league have that kind of return.

He is not world class.

You can tell with your eyes if he's a top talent or not. He clearly is. A fit and firing Daniel Sturridge is worth 20 goals a season, the problem is he isn't fit or firing at the moment.

• Upvote 1

What about the time when Suarez went mental after being subbed off? where's the consistency here? Sturridge was wrong to snarl at Klopp when he came off, but maybe it's his way of showing us that he does care about playing for the club.

He's been getting dogs abuse for supposedly faking injuries and has been accused of not wanting to play because of slight niggles, basically challenging his commitment to the cause. Then when he's visibly angry about not being able to continue playing for us....he gets slagged off for that as well, so it's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't.

• Upvote 5

Can't for the life of me understand anyone who says he's not that talented.  Clearly he is, it's not even in question.

And to be perfectly honest, if we had top-quality depth behind him, even his fitness issues wouldn't be that big of a problem.  I mean, it's not ideal, but it's much better than having an average player instead of him who's fit all season but scores 10-12 league goals.  Sturridge will average 10-12 league goals a season even if he's only fit for 20 games.  And the games he doesn't play, we get to play another player.

As long as we don't depend on him, we'll be fine.  The problem is that he's been our only good striker for 2 seasons now so we depend on him, and when he's out we don't score enough goals.  Add another goalscorer up front and go into the season knowing Sturridge can only give us 1500 minutes or so and we'll be laughing.

• Upvote 1

What about the time when Suarez went mental after being subbed off? where's the consistency here? Sturridge was wrong to snarl at Klopp when he came off, but maybe it's his way of showing us that he does care about playing for the club.

He's been getting dogs abuse for supposedly faking injuries and has been accused of not wanting to play because of slight niggles, basically challenging his commitment to the cause. Then when he's visibly angry about not being able to continue playing for us....he gets slagged off for that as well, so it's a case of damned if you do damned if you don't.

Because the overriding feeling is that he's selfish and not willing to put a shift in for the team. He was shite on Thursday and instead of applauding the support and accepting the manager's decision he stropped off like a stroppy child.

I dont know what Howie is talking about to be honest. You only have to look at his career goal stats. His goals per minute has always been up there with the best in the world. Playing with Suarez hasn't made a blind bit of difference. 

Have you looked at his stats other then the year he played with Suarez?

He was a 1 in 3 before and has been since. In fact even including that time he is barely above that.

Never have I said he is not a good player (though I cringe when I hear him mentioned in the same company as Suarez, Fowler, Rush etc)  but I don't believe he is a world class striker nor is he the player we can start the season with thinking he has the ability to lead Liverpools line to challenging at the top because he will not play more than 20-25 games a season. That is not really opinion that is based on 10 plus years of performances.

He will be 27 beginning of next, do you think he will string together three 35+ game seasons at the top of the game?

I actually feel sorry for him. His goal scoring ratio is up there with the greatest strikers we've ever had, including players under Paisley and Shankly. He's never once came out saying he wants to leave us, nor has he ever said a bad word about the club.

Why hasn't he got a song being sung at Anfield? He's been here for 4 years scoring almost every time he plays and all we do is sing about Steven Gerrard. Gerrard doesn't even live on the same continent, he doesn't even play for us anymore. Yet that's the only song i hear sung about a player.

How do you think Coutinho and Sturridge feel when they're producing the goods on the field and the fans are singing about Steven Gerrard? Or more precisely how do you think he felt the other night when Origi gets his name chanted when he's done nothing to deserve it? 

• Upvote 2

I actually feel sorry for him. His goal scoring ratio is up there with the greatest strikers we've ever had, including players under Paisley and Shankly. He's never once came out saying he wants to leave us, nor has he ever said a bad word about the club.

Why hasn't he got a song being sung at Anfield? He's been here for 4 years scoring almost every time he plays and all we do is sing about Steven Gerrard. Gerrard doesn't even live on the same continent, he doesn't even play for us anymore. Yet that's the only song i hear sung about a player.

How do you think Coutinho and Sturridge feel when they're producing the goods on the field and the fans are singing about Steven Gerrard? Or more precisely how do you think he felt the other night when Origi gets his name chanted when he's done nothing to deserve it?

Very, very good and deep post.

We need new songs and Sturridge deserves more respect and support.

• Upvote 1