You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

He was very frustrating last night. Never looked to pass once, always looking to shoot from silly angles and fucked up a few moves that he was at the end of. Being unfit is one thing but that has no bearing on his decision making, which was shocking last night. And he offers nothing when we are under the cosh. He could learn so much from MSN, and doesn't seem like he's learned much from playing with Suarez.

A great talent for sure when fit and guarantees goals most of the time, but I don't expect him to last under Klopp.

The scary thing is,  he is exactly the player he was - before Suarez.

A couple of average performances and some are asking him to be sold.

Who said he should be sold? 

Since Suarez left he is a 1 in 3 striker with a questionable attitude. That is what he was before Suarez cuz, well that is what he is.

Our team is not quite good enough yet to jib him off. Plus anyone who thinks we would get any kind of substantial fee for him is delusional. 

I'm starting to see why him and Suarez didn't get on. Polar opposites in terms of mentality.

I remember Suarez being subbed once or twice and his reaction was worse then Sturridges.I don't like to see it but I would have thought most fans would have been happy with his reaction with all the stories before saying that he didn't want to play.

Most strikers are not like Kuyt and Suarez as they like to save their energy to make runs, I think the main problem last night was Sturridge was frustrated no one was keeping the ball or linking the play, he was guilty of that himself aswell though.

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry I don't buy into some of the well written posts offering explanations as to why he is playing so poorly. He has shown a woeful lack of commitment since Wembley. 3 big games where has had zero impact and not even a flicker of improvement. I stick by my view that he is soft pedaling , looking towards the Euros , fully fit, and then away, All this sullen behavior and anger at being hooked is not real imo. He claims he is recovered and ready to do what is required by the manager but the reality is plain to see on the pitch, Football for Danny has become a non-contact sport played at a gentle stroll . Sturridgeball !

• Upvote 1

I remember Suarez being subbed once or twice and his reaction was worse then Sturridges.I don't like to see it but I would have thought most fans would have been happy with his reaction with all the stories before saying that he didn't want to play.

Most strikers are not like Kuyt and Suarez as they like to save their energy to make runs, I think the main problem last night was Sturridge was frustrated no one was keeping the ball or linking the play, he was guilty of that himself aswell though.

Man, he didn't try a fucking leg and broke up so many promising attacks by dwelling on the ball oe not passing it.

Suarez would be pissed at getting subbed, but that's because he was a winner who wanted more goals and always worked for the team. Sturridge is a princess, he had the gall to moan at his teammates last night if he didn't get the perfect ball to his feet yet it was like playing with 10 men with him upfront. There was oceans of space behind their defence last night and he was too fucking lazy to make the runs. I'm glad he saved his energy though.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry I don't buy into some of the well written posts offering explanations as to why he is playing so poorly. He has shown a woeful lack of commitment since Wembley. 3 big games where has had zero impact and not even a flicker of improvement. I stick by my view that he is soft pedaling , looking towards the Euros , fully fit, and then away, All this sullen behavior and anger at being hooked is not real imo. He claims he is recovered and ready to do what is required by the manager but the reality is plain to see on the pitch, Football for Danny has become a non-contact sport played at a gentle stroll . Sturridgeball !

I'm still hoping that it's just rust he's been showing and is working his way to fitness. Your point could well be true though . Hope it isn't

It will be interesting to see what happens with Sturridge. As Dr Nowt said, if he can stay fit to the end of the season, we will have a choice to make. If he breaks down again then we will be coaxing him back to fitness, over time, again, at our expense. 

The two things that are most clear to me are:

1. Origi is growing as a player and he should play more next season

2. Benteke needs to be replaced

If Sturridge stays fit we will see offers for him. West Ham will give us decent money, I'm sure of it. And there may be others. Arguably a CL team might even take him off our hands - not to be their main man, but to be one of the group of strikers who could come in and make a difference for them. 

I'm not saying this will happen, but as an example, at Man City they have Aguero as the best striker. He plays week in week out. But then he gets niggly injuries. So let's say Bony plays 15-20 times and scores a few. Maybe Man City could sell Bony and buy Sturridge, giving Sturridge a similar amount of minutes, but with a likely higher goal return? 

It won't be Man City, as he's been there, but I wouldn't rule out Sturridge at a CL club next year on this sort of basis, if he stays fit for the rest of the season. 

If he stays here, he may have to accept not being the main man. We are trying to go places, and Sturridge might not be the man to get us there. Then again, if he can come to terms with this reality, he might still be useful to keep around. 

Lots of possible ways this one could go. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

I don't think there's any way Klopp will be beholden to, or dependent on, Sturridge, either way. He will be a 'nice to have' sort of option if he stays. 

Daniel Sturridge supports Daniel Sturridge FC. not Liverpool FC.

others are buying into the new philosophy and he isn't. time is running out for him. the boss man ain't got room for passengers.

shame. a fully firing Sturridge, with a team-minded attitude, would be as good an asset and weapon as you could get.

Wouldn't sell to a potential rival, that means City or better right now. WHU are actually better than us so I wouldn't risk a suddenly and miraculously fit, London based, Sturridge rattling them in.

Bony, we dodged a heavily weighted object there. He cost a million per stone, at least.

He won the ball in our right full position in the early stages last night and I saw some signs that he was working but the 2nd half he was poor. I think he should be used for home games and lesser teams away from the start and from the bench for the rest of the aways.

I'm still hoping that it's just rust he's been showing and is working his way to fitness. Your point could well be true though . Hope it isn't

I hope I am wrong too but you would expect to see some signs he is getting up to speed.

Just nothing last night apart from a wicked fk which grazed the crossbar. Open play he is not involved physically in the slightest way. Saving us money in laundry bills I suppose.

He's lost all of his pace, and he's not physically strong enough to hold the ball up meaning he's not suited to playing up front alone. 

He's still magic with the ball at his feet, but I'm concerned that he's not going to get back to the level he was at in 2013/2014. 

Yesterday he had a bit of a stinker but he's never going to be a player that chases every ball and hassle defenders for 90 minutes. I doubt Klopp would instruct him to play like that either. He knows his strengths and weaknesses. Running around for 90 minutes isn't one of them.

He's hardly going to be all smiles getting pulled off in one of our biggest games of the season either, is he? People are also suggesting he's miraculously made himself fit now in time for the Euros but on current form, and the form of others, he might not even make the squad.

He's only been back 'fit' for 6 games and people are expecting him to be at his best. He might not even get back to that level again, but if he's going to he's going to need a bit more time.

• Upvote 3

Thats the big one for me at the minute. It just keeps happening and its nothing to do with fitness.

Hes just making stupid bad decisions over and over and over.

Stupid bad decisions or the margins are very small. The latter for me. And he has been getting dispossessed a lot since "coming back" however i think its down to him trying maybe a bit too hard to make things happen for himself.

Think we would be mad to get rid of Sturridge, unless he is physically indeed fucked.

He has been out for pretty much two years, i think its going to take a little time for him to adapt to the new regime. He should be perfectly suited to play under Klopp. But its whatever cause Jürgen will do what he thinks is best.