You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

His performances lately stink, it all looks like one big inconvenience for him to be playing football.

Maybe the injuries have done him? Maybe he's not fully fit? ...but does that really excuse him not bothering to even attempt to close down or jump for 50/50 headers and generally just swan around the pitch like it's a warm down training ground game?

Always had faith in him coming back and being that player again but have doubts now, maybe he will, hopefully he will but it's hard to see it right now.

A couple of average performances and some are asking him to be sold.

Yet, he almost scored from a free kick which hit the bar and he scored the crucial first goal/penalty in the first leg of the EL draw against united. He needs some time to get fit again. He has lost a bit of acceleration and explosiveness, but I'm sure this will improve as he spends more time on the pitch.

• Upvote 2

A couple of average performances and some are asking him to be sold.

Yet, he almost scored from a free kick which hit the bar and he scored the crucial first goal/penalty in the first leg of the EL draw against united. He needs some time to get fit again. He has lost a bit of acceleration and explosiveness, but I'm sure this will improve as he spends more time on the pitch.

I agree. He hasn't played well recently but I still think he will be a tremendous asset next season if he can stay fit. No long term concerns about his quality, only his fitness.

I don't want him sold but he was shite yesterday. It really stands out when the rest of the team works so hard on and off the ball, and he's just standing around looking uninterested and admonishing his teammates if the ball isn't played to feet. And when he does get the ball to feet he doesn't pass and just gets dispossessed or fires a shot into the stands or a defender. He needs to up his game because Origi is the better option at the moment.

It usually takes a player upto 10 games to get back to peak levels, also usually after the initial first few games are got through by adrenaline. Don't see a problem in being annoyed at coming off. He's also used to playing as a 2 up top and is still adjusting to klopps new way of doing things.

It is a similar and familiar pattern with him....he is out for ages then come back and looks the business for a game or 2 then is out again, comes back and looks disinterested, not at full pelt, sluggish and plays selfishly/wastefully and before long is out again....

I wouldn't sell him, I'd look at bringing a clinical finisher into the team. I think he works harder under competition. 

When you're up against: 

• Origi (he's younger and you could say he's just above Borini with better positioning);
  • Benteke (barely moves, sometimes clinical, often naff); 
  • Firmino (midfielder, good movement and skills - on his day, Sturridge can be the more clinical finisher which isn't surprising as it's a midfield v striker argument) 

There's no driving force there; there's no "fuck, if he scores 3 in the next 5 games I'm going to look like a utter joke here". There's nobody screaming in his ear every game to make sure he's putting them away or passing it. 

A couple of average performances and some are asking him to be sold.

Yet, he almost scored from a free kick which hit the bar and he scored the crucial first goal/penalty in the first leg of the EL draw against united. He needs some time to get fit again. He has lost a bit of acceleration and explosiveness, but I'm sure this will improve as he spends more time on the pitch.

It's pretty obvious why this is the case. 

Looks fine in games where we are the side doing all the attacking and getting support from midfield runners but looks ineffective in games where we have to absorb pressure and play on the counter attack. Performances like last night make you think Sturridge doesnt fit in with Klopp's preferred style of play. He needs to either buck up or he will not be here much longer.

For the record,Fowler was able to adapt in the way Sturridge needs to in European games without being less effective domestically.

A couple of average performances and some are asking him to be sold.

Yet, he almost scored from a free kick which hit the bar and he scored the crucial first goal/penalty in the first leg of the EL draw against united. He needs some time to get fit again. He has lost a bit of acceleration and explosiveness, but I'm sure this will improve as he spends more time on the pitch.

Spot on, the last two games it has looked like his pace has been affected but writing him off after two games is ridiculous.

They are the worst games I have seen from him in a LFC shirt but I'm not worried, he didn't get much service and we struggled to keep possession in their half.We'll play teams not as strong in the next few weeks where he will shine and score a few goals and everyone will be saying he is world class again.

I imagine part of his rehab has involved building up the muscles around the problem area, which can leave a player feeling a bit heavy legged for a while after. He's a great player when on form, but he snubbed the fans when he walked off the pitch yesterday and that's a bit pathetic.

Forgetting any subjective analysis of his reaction, it's totally understandable he's like this physically. It's pointscoring clowns acting like he was already back at his level, after scoring in his first game back from a season and a half filled with injuries, who were predictably wrong.

His first game or two back from injury will always show he still has the class, of course he has, but then the rest of the season will show if he can stay fit at even a reduced pace. If yes then next season will show if he can recover physically, and trust his body enough, to be anything like the old player consistently. Owen often used to be like this for 10 games or so coming back from the later injuries with us. He never looked like a footballer at times, running in sand, then suddenly it would all click into place again.

If he breaks down again before the end of the season we probably do lose any choice in the matter, as many have said. It's if he remains fit until the end of the season it becomes interesting (ish!). Especially if he shows signs of recovering his physical attributes, because we're then gambling either way whether we decide to keep that version of the player or try to sell him.

Our wage bill is FSG's problem, and it's not like the club doesn't bring in enough cash, so the ideal situation is to keep a version of him who can mostly stay fit in the squad and take whatever he can give us next season from a position of strength rather than desperation, having for once spent our lorryload of cash on a similar class of striker rather than a duck egg.

Groundhog Day. Hopefully Ian doesn't give us a leaving present.

Good post Dr there's a lot of sense in what you say.But going back to Hunt,Rush,Fowler,and especially Suarez we have always defended from the front,the work that these boys did off the ball always made the task easier fir the rest.Sturridge offers very little.If you could have seen him at Wembley(you can't pick it up on tv)or maybe you were there he put no pressure on Kompany and co at all.He did the same last night it was like we were playing with ten men.The point is can we carry a player like that all the time.Sure he knows where the net is,but surely he has to offer more than that.Aguaro has had his share of injuries this season but he comes back and works his socks off.