You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle 2 Liverpool 0 (Dec 6 2015)

tlw content

newcastlereport1.jpg

Jurgen Klopp readily admits there’s plenty of things about the club that he doesn’t know yet. In midweek for example he was caught out by not knowing when we last won the League Cup. He’s learning more and more about us every day, and this weekend he learned that any time it looks like we’re going places, and any time all of our rivals drop points and open the door for us, we piss down our own leg like drunken tramps. It’s what we’ve been doing for years.

I had hoped that we might have left all that behind and that Klopp’s influence could rid us of that shit, but sadly that’s not the case. He was asked before the game if he was worried about over-confidence but he didn’t even know what that meant! When it was explained to him that it meant “everyone expects you to beat Newcastle, are you worried about that?” he replied “We expect to beat Newcastle too, but we have to show respect”.

The fans confidence levels were at ridiculously high levels, with many expecting another six goal blast and even those who weren’t quite so cocky were still expecting a win. I certainly didn’t think we’d score six (I went with 3-1 beforehand) and I expected it to be a more difficult game than many did, but I also didn’t see any way that we would lose to what is, let’s face it, a fucking terrible Newcastle team.

Unfortunately it looked like half the team (and by half I mean the midfield and forwards) felt all they had to do was show up to win. That’s what it boils down to for me, I’ve got no doubt the reason we were so poor was complacency. They turn up for the big games knowing they have to put in a performance but they rolled up here just expecting to wallop Newcastle, and instead they had their pants pulled down and their arses spanked. This is exactly why we were all “doubters”, Jurgen, because any time we start to become “believers” it blows up in our fucking faces. We’re mentally scarred from years of this kind of shit.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking all the same things during the match. Newcastle were virtually begging to be beaten. It was obvious right from the start how nervous their players were and how edgy the crowd were. We didn't have to be awesome. Competent would have been more than enough. Instead we produce that sloppy, complacent crap and you can slowly sense Newcastle getting into the game and their fans getting behind them and the jammy deflected goal seemed like the perfect punishment to our players for that performance.

Klopp seems to have been all smiles and pats on the back towards the players so far but I'm sure he has a far less pleasant side if he doesn't think a performance is acceptable. I imagine maybe the players maybe saw that side to him after the game yesterday.

• Upvote 1

I don't buy into this 'being hurt again' bullshit

Was gutted yesterday...really gutted

But that's ok. By the end of last season it was getting to the point of me not caring wether we won or lost.

I'm happy I'm back to being made up when we win and gutted when we lose.

It's how it should be

• Upvote 8

I love your accidental(?) Lucas typo - "He continued in that vain throughout..." Fucking right. Almost everything he did was in vain.

Milner. Every time I watch him I can't criticise his commitment. He seems to fight for everything. Slower than you might be stretching the bounds of credibility somewhat. Continental drift is quicker than you.

• Upvote 1

Klopp seems to have been all smiles and pats on the back towards the players so far but I'm sure he has a far less pleasant side if he doesn't think a performance is acceptable. I imagine maybe the players maybe saw that side to him after the game yesterday.

jurgen-klopp-pissed.gif

I can't imagine a player enjoying being on the end of that! 

• Upvote 1

Thought it was baffling why we dropped 2 forwards who were on fire the previous game to the bench. Think at least one of them should have started. Having said that the team had more than enough to beat an awful Newcastle.  I hope Benteke isn't going to become our new Heskey.  Capable of the spectacular and a cracking game in between a lot of games where he's invisible and contributes zip.   

• Upvote 1

I hope Benteke isn't going to become our new Heskey.  Capable of the spectacular and a cracking game in between a lot of games where he's invisible and contributes zip.

Heskey? He looked more like Balotelli, hardly moving at all. He improved in the 2nd half, though, and should have stayed on the pitch instead of Lucas. A switch to 4-4-2 with Lallana on top of the diamond would have been better, I think.

It seems all of our strikers are much better when they play with another striker on top. We should use 4-4-2 more often, and especially against the teams that come to Anfield only to defend, or in a match like this when the opponent prefers the long ball to avoid the "gegenpress".

• Upvote 1

I haven't been so angry after a defeat in a long while either this was just shocking. If you are a club that raises your game to suit your opponent then you might as well be a Middlesborough or some lower league shite like that. I agree it is a disease that has poisoned this club for twenty five years and counting.

I love your accidental(?) Lucas typo - "He continued in that vain throughout..." Fucking right. Almost everything he did was in vain.

Milner. Every time I watch him I can't criticise his commitment. He seems to fight for everything. Slower than you might be stretching the bounds of credibility somewhat. Continental drift is quicker than you.

Wasn't deliberate as firstly I'm not that subtle and secondly I can't spell.

As for the second point, from anybody else I'd just shrug that jibe off, but from you that hurts man. That hurts.

The last time I was that pissed off after a game was actually Hull two years ago. Another game where they thought all they had to do was turn up to win.

We followed that up with Suarez scoring four against Norwich I think and we all know what happened in the second half of the season. Hopefully Sunday will act as a wake up call to this group of players too.

The last time I was that pissed off after a game was actually Hull two years ago. Another game where they thought all they had to do was turn up to win.

We followed that up with Suarez scoring four against Norwich I think and we all know what happened in the second half of the season. Hopefully Sunday will act as a wake up call to this group of players too.

The players might not be the world's best, unlike Suarez, in fact they're definitely not... but they have shown enough signs, under Klopp, as a unit to suggest that in a League much much worse than the one we finished 2nd in two seasons back, there is everything to play for.

Newcastle could not have been any worse.

It is behind us.

Yes, you're only as good as your last game.

But, just as likely, the next one might yield the same as the penultimate 3.

3 points Sunday and Newcastle, just like Hull - annoying as it was and in convenient retrospect, costing us the title 2 years ago - it will be forgotten.

Until we have reason to lament it later of course, in retrospect.  (Hopefully not.)