You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - 06/12/15

ZonkoVille77

Allen is the perfect example of how our club has gradually come to embrace mediocrity. He is a consistent 6 out of 10, barely having any meaningful influence on a game for months on end, and then he will finally have a decent game, and suddenly a whole bunch of people will be crowing "See, Allen is great! All you idiots writing him off, he's fine our squad is fine! You Sky generation losers, always on a players back!".

Then Allen does fuck all for another two months, but (say) Lallana has his one good game in 10, and they are at it again: "See, Lallana is great! All you idiots writing him off, he's fine our squad is fine! You Sky generation losers, always on a players back!".

And so we continue to just plug away, being good in some games, crap in others, and the fans arguing individual trees as the forest slowly withers away.

You can apply that point to every single player in the squad.  No one has been any good with any degree of consistency.   It's pointless picking on Allen and ignoring far worse performers than him.  The same with Lallana.  At least he looked like he gave a fuck when he came on and actually set up a chance from which any premiership striker should score.  I'd like to see all of our midfielders replaced.  Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Can, Milner.  None of them are good enough to turn us into a successful team.  

• Upvote 1

We do have a poor squad, and this "when the setup is right we can beat anyone" is probably the weakest argument you could possibly make for justifying the current players. Newcastle just beat us, so obviously when the setup is right for them, they too can beat anyone. Would you care to take on their squad?

The squad is mediocre. Deeply mediocre. To think otherwise is to fool yourself. 

It's a fair point you make. I'd agree that a team can be setup right. 

But I think "mediocre" is utterly utterly wrong. Mediocre is Sunderland, Villa, Norwich etc....

We are not that mediocre. Not a chance. 

Yep Klopp can claim credit for bring Lovren back from the dead but he was let down badly by most of them yesterday. When a 19 year old is the only player that looked interested there is something badly wrong. Klopp should have gone with more pace and played with two up top . Origi deserved to be selected and we didn't need both Allen and Lucas playing deep, 

Lallana instead or Firmino and Origi instead o Allen and we would have pissed that game.

Manager got it wrong yesterday and tried to wing it with a statue up front and only Jordan Ibe 

with any pace about him supporting.

When you play shite just go for the fucking jugular and don't piss about.

I think people would rather point fingers everywhere else but the manager for yesterday. Not to say any of the players covered themselves in glory. But we were setup badly. I fail to see how anyone cannot see that. 

And its no shame, Klopp is still adjusting to this league and the players at his disposal. It won't be the last time this happens this season. 

Having slept on that one it still doesn't get any better! I hate losing, especially when it looked like we were gaining some momentum and belief was coming back. 

In the cold light of day we were quite right to start to believe again, because we are getting better, and Klopp is very much the man to take us forward. But yesterday's result showed us we won't get to the top in one fell swoop. It will be step by step. And I'm OK with that. I've seen plenty so far to fill me with hope. And setbacks have a way of revealing some things that you don't see when it goes well. I'm confident Klopp is learning a heck of a lot about these players. Equally, I'm confident that we have some good players, and under his tutelage some may become very good indeed, even world class. But there will be others who won't make it. And I think he will be ruthless. Not in a nasty way, as that's just not in his character. Not in a cowardly way either. But when the opportunity comes to make a few changes, he will sit the player down and tell them straight, and he will do what needs to be done for the good of the club. 

So, disappointed about yesterday, but overall a timely reminder that we remain a work in progress. 

• Upvote 2

Having slept on that one it still doesn't get any better! I hate losing, especially when it looked like we were gaining some momentum and belief was coming back. 

In the cold light of day we were quite right to start to believe again, because we are getting better, and Klopp is very much the man to take us forward. But yesterday's result showed us we won't get to the top in one fell swoop. It will be step by step. And I'm OK with that. I've seen plenty so far to fill me with hope. And setbacks have a way of revealing some things that you don't see when it goes well. I'm confident Klopp is learning a heck of a lot about these players. Equally, I'm confident that we have some good players, and under his tutelage some may become very good indeed, even world class. But there will be others who won't make it. And I think he will be ruthless. Not in a nasty way, as that's just not in his character. Not in a cowardly way either. But when the opportunity comes to make a few changes, he will sit the player down and tell them straight, and he will do what needs to be done for the good of the club. 

So, disappointed about yesterday, but overall a timely reminder that we remain a work in progress. 

I agree with this especially the bit about him being ruthless. He needs to be with some of those lads yesterday, We all know they were not the best 11 he could have put out yet he gave them a chance and they failed him ( or at least a number did) . It wasn't our defense this time  .. Allen , Firmino, Benteke, Milner were the principal culprits should be give 40 lashes. Klopp needs to look at himself as well ; that was an unnecessary defeat yesterday. I just hope he has learnt enough about his squad and himself to make it ultimately worthwhile

I'm not sure how Klopp can be held responsible for Milner and Firmino refusing to move around a little bit

I don't agree that we lost yesterday because of Klopp, the team selected was good enough and performed well enough to win.He also made the subs I wanted to see at the right time when the score was still level, it was the same old story of not being clinical enough and not finding the final pass.

Prople underestimate newcastles squad, they have their best one since they finished fourth and it's better then squads they had a few years before that.No pressure on them and their fans were fully behind them for once,it was clear they were going to turn up and we dominated them more then I thought we would before the game.

• Downvote 1

I don't agree that we lost yesterday because of Klopp, the team selected was good enough and performed well enough to win.He also made the subs I wanted to see at the right time when the score was still level, it was the same old story of not being clinical enough and not finding the final pass.

Prople underestimate newcastles squad, they have their best one since they finished fourth and it's better then squads they had a few years before that.No pressure on them and their fans were fully behind them for once,it was clear they were going to turn up and we dominated them more then I thought we would before the game.

They're in 18th place with a minus 14 goal difference, what the actual fuck.

• Upvote 4

Just thinking out loud here really, but how does a bad decision like Moreno's 'offside' affect a result?

If that goal had stood, as Newcastle team boss, at that point would you change tactics?

Collectively, would the mood around the team have changed?

I know its not an ideal world, but these shit decisions make me angry.

Just thinking out loud here really, but how does a bad decision like Moreno's 'offside' affect a result?

If that goal had stood, as Newcastle team boss, at that point would you change tactics?

it's gone mate.  Klopp was right.  I'm just hoping he is going to beat the shit out of them from now until Thursday.  

Just one of those things, we got a lucky decision last week 

They're in 18th place with a minus 14 goal difference, what the actual fuck.

I meant since they challenged for fourth when they had players like Cabaye, Ben Afra and Demba Ba.Its also better then squads they had years before that, their start has not been great but they do have some good players and should be midtable atleast come the end of the season.

The way some people are going on, you'd think mclaren had pulled some amazing tactical master stroke and his players majestically played us off the park!

He didnt and they didnt. We were just poor.Its not what we want but it happens. More so when a new manager has only been in situ for a few weeks and is playing with a squad he inherited.

As I said yesterday, some people seem to think just because Klopp is manager, we're title contenders. Or alternatively, the same players who stank the gaff out last season and for some of the early part of this as well wouldnt fall back into old habits for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 2

Anyone who thinks he won't bring players in as soon as he can is living in lala land. He is using psychology to get the best out of a bad bunch at the moment. Plenty will be off their pop as soon as he can do it. He's not going to come out now and say " oh Milner is shit and Benteke moves slower than a diseased bowel " is he. He needs all hands currently. He will be ruthless as fuck when he gets the chance....

I hope you're right VD.