You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Overweight Haters Ltd

Bjornebye

• 3 years later...

15540296-0-image-m-14_1562084117904.jpg

Obesity is now a bigger cause of many types of cancer than smoking, scientists have revealed. 

Excess weight causes thousands of more cases of bowel, kidney, liver and ovarian cancer than cigarettes every year.

And people who are dangerously overweight now outweigh smokers by two to one, experts say, with almost a third of British adults classed as obese. 

Smoking remains the leading preventable cause of cancer but the number of smokers is falling while obesity rates rise. 

The figures were released by Cancer Research UK in the midst of a 'fat shaming' row centred around their latest campaign raising awareness of the dangers of obesity. 

The charity has revealed around 1,900 more cases of bowel cancer are caused by obesity than smoking in the UK each year. 

Being dangerously overweight also causes 1,400 more cases of kidney cancer, 460 more cases of ovarian cancer and 180 more cases of liver cancer than smoking does.

And although smoking is more damaging, sheer numbers mean the burden of obesity-related disease is swelling.

There are around 13.4million obese people who don't smoke, compared to 6.3million smokers who are a healthy weight. 

It's a problem which isn't showing signs of slowing down, either, with one in 10 children now obese by the age of five and a fifth of them overweight by age 11. 

Live and let live eh? My body my choice, they say. Well in a nation where there is a shared responsibility for paying for the health service, no. You have a responsibility for your health if it ends up costing everyone else billions. It is estimated that the NHS spent £6.1 billion on overweight and obesity-related ill-health in 2014 to 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-matters-obesity-and-the-food-environment/health-matters-obesity-and-the-food-environment--2

Yes, the government and large companies that peddle the shit that causes a lot of obesity have a massive responsibility. Poor advice, criminally bad advice and ignoring the warning signs for years have all contributed to where we are now. In this current crazy world we live in warnings about your health are being classed by those in the permanent denial stage as fat shaming. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cancer-research-uk-slammed-yet-again-for-shaming-advert-likening-obesity-to-smoking_uk_5d19d29ce4b03d61163e64ed?ncid=other_moreonthis_csjr20wby6g

I get that as we age it's more difficult to keep the pounds off, also for some there's a medical reason. Nobody is really pointing the finger at people with a little flab, or a bit of a belly. But when you have baby wrists and cankles it's not fat shaming, it's pretty serious stuff.

I don't have answers, they're not going to stop fast food from being sold. Not that long ago the poor were skinny and malnourished, now they're morbidly obese and malnourished. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3313629/

We watch appeal videos of starving kids and it quite rightly plucks at our heartstrings, today's obese children malnourished and need help too, but very little will be done. Schools robbed of essential cash sold off their playing fields. Not that it would matter, we had one kid that always brought in a note to excuse them from PE. In today's world, there might be one kid with a note that permits PE. 

Shit food is so cheap, in a world where there is almost nothing for the modern housewife (or househusband) to do as technology does all the work, is it too much to ask that they turn off the tv, put the ipad down and fucking cook a proper meal for their family? 

I find it all really sad, young people with racing metabolisms at the height of what should be their healthy years and they are morbidly obese. Nobody really cares it seems. Maybe the government has finally found a way to be able to afford pensions and free bus passes. 

Discrimination and stigmatization against obese people have become pervasive, occurring in schools, public places, public transports and in workplaces. The reasons for this level of discrimination might not be unconnected to the perceived and genuine problems associated with obesity. However, the effects of stigmatization and discrimination on the physical and mental health of the obese individuals call for drastic actions to curb these social injustices.

Most people have the belief that obesity is preventable and controllable. They see obese people as architects of their condition due to physical inactivity and excessive eating. As a result, they show negative attitudes towards the obese seeing them as people who are lazy with lack of willpower and therefore treat them with less respect. Obese people experience a lot of stigmatization from healthy weight individuals by calling them unacceptable names or passing derogatory comments on them. They may also experience physical aggression and social isolation.

Obesity has been associated with many diseases that negatively impact the quality of life and some that are even life-threatening. Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea with its attendant daytime sleepiness, are conditions that can affect the productivity and efficiency of an obese person at work. Managing these disease conditions also come at a higher cost to the employers of labor. It is therefore not surprising that most companies often deny obese individuals employment.

https://renewbariatrics.com/obesity/discrimination/

2 hours ago, Champions of Europe said:

Obesity is now a bigger cause of many types of cancer than smoking, scientists have revealed. 

Excess weight causes thousands of more cases of bowel, kidney, liver and ovarian cancer than cigarettes every year.

And people who are dangerously overweight now outweigh smokers by two to one, experts say, with almost a third of British adults classed as obese. 

Smoking remains the leading preventable cause of cancer but the number of smokers is falling while obesity rates rise. 

The figures were released by Cancer Research UK in the midst of a 'fat shaming' row centred around their latest campaign raising awareness of the dangers of obesity. 

The charity has revealed around 1,900 more cases of bowel cancer are caused by obesity than smoking in the UK each year. 

Being dangerously overweight also causes 1,400 more cases of kidney cancer, 460 more cases of ovarian cancer and 180 more cases of liver cancer than smoking does.

And although smoking is more damaging, sheer numbers mean the burden of obesity-related disease is swelling.

There are around 13.4million obese people who don't smoke, compared to 6.3million smokers who are a healthy weight. 

It's a problem which isn't showing signs of slowing down, either, with one in 10 children now obese by the age of five and a fifth of them overweight by age 11. 

Maybe get the fat cunts back on the tabs then eh?

I gave up smoking 15 years ago and I thought it was the best decision I could have made. Turns out I might have been wrong. 

Just now, arthur friedenreich said:

Maybe get the fat cunts back on the tabs then eh?

Almost every single person I have spoken to that gave up cigarettes has said they just ate more to compensate. This was before vaping though, so I don't know if that makes any difference these days. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I gave up smoking 15 years ago and I thought it was the best decision I could have made. Turns out I might have been wrong. 

When you consider the toxins that you inhale when you smoke and the work your body has to do to try and fix the damage every day, I don't think you were wrong to give up. 

Live and let live eh? My body my choice, they say. Well in a nation where there is a shared responsibility for paying for the health service, no. You have a responsibility for your health if it ends up costing everyone else billions. It is estimated that the NHS spent £6.1 billion on overweight and obesity-related ill-health in 2014 to 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-matters-obesity-and-the-food-environment/health-matters-obesity-and-the-food-environment--2

Yes, the government and large companies that peddle the shit that causes a lot of obesity have a massive responsibility. Poor advice, criminally bad advice and ignoring the warning signs for years have all contributed to where we are now. In this current crazy world we live in warnings about your health are being classed by those in the permanent denial stage as fat shaming. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cancer-research-uk-slammed-yet-again-for-shaming-advert-likening-obesity-to-smoking_uk_5d19d29ce4b03d61163e64ed?ncid=other_moreonthis_csjr20wby6g

I get that as we age it's more difficult to keep the pounds off, also for some there's a medical reason. Nobody is really pointing the finger at people with a little flab, or a bit of a belly. But when you have baby wrists and cankles it's not fat shaming, it's pretty serious stuff.

I don't have answers, they're not going to stop fast food from being sold. Not that long ago the poor were skinny and malnourished, now they're morbidly obese and malnourished. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3313629/

We watch appeal videos of starving kids and it quite rightly plucks at our heartstrings, today's obese children malnourished and need help too, but very little will be done. Schools robbed of essential cash sold off their playing fields. Not that it would matter, we had one kid that always brought in a note to excuse them from PE. In today's world, there might be one kid with a note that permits PE. 

Shit food is so cheap, in a world where there is almost nothing for the modern housewife (or househusband) to do as technology does all the work, is it too much to ask that they turn off the tv, put the ipad down and fucking cook a proper meal for their family? 

I find it all really sad, young people with racing metabolisms at the height of what should be their healthy years and they are morbidly obese. Nobody really cares it seems. Maybe the government has finally found a way to be able to afford pensions and free bus passes. 

I find it sad that these article always talk about the financial cost before anything else. There is an epidemic of obesity,no doubt,but lets look a little bit further into it before simply blaming obese poor people,because it generally does.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I find it sad that these article always talk about the financial cost before anything else. There is an epidemic of obesity,no doubt,but lets look a little bit further into it before simply blaming obese poor people,because it generally does.

Fixing it will cost a fortune, leaving it alone will cost a fortune. My particular comments take on the "It's my body so I can do what I want" which while true, is a selfish attitude because it costs us all, not just in money. 

We have a free health service that is crumbling before our very eyes, partly because it's been starved of money, partly because of mismanagement and partly because it's dealing with conditions it was never designed to deal with, as well as a lot of other factors. 

I do not have answers, but denial isn't an answer. Like many issues, the government either won't deal with them because it could lose votes or won't deal with them because it could lose money. One day peddlers of junk food might be treated the same way as tobacco companies, one day. Not in my lifetime I fear. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

Fixing it will cost a fortune, leaving it alone will cost a fortune. My particular comments take on the "It's my body so I can do what I want" which while true, is a selfish attitude because it costs us all, not just in money. 

We have a free health service that is crumbling before our very eyes, partly because it's been starved of money, partly because of mismanagement and partly because it's dealing with conditions it was never designed to deal with, as well as a lot of other factors. 

I do not have answers, but denial isn't an answer. Like many issues, the government either won't deal with them because it could lose votes or won't deal with them because it could lose money. One day peddlers of junk food might be treated the same way as tobacco companies, one day. Not in my lifetime I fear. 

It's not free at all, taxes, NI contributions and to a smaller extent patient charges for certain things fund the NHS. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The NHS is tax payer funded. 

Plus the other two things I mentioned. In other countries taxes/wage deductions in other areas are less, but you pay a health insurance which is deducted from your wages. In the end, it all works out more or less the same or cheaper/ or in certain countries more expensive. The NHS is excellent if run and funded properly, but it has never been free, which is what a lot of people take as fact. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Plus the other two things I mentioned. In other countries taxes/wage deductions in other areas are less, but you pay a health insurance which is deducted from your wages. In the end, it all works out more or less the same or cheaper/ or in certain countries more expensive. The NHS is excellent if run and funded properly, but it has never been free, which is what a lot of people take as fact. 

Agreed. 

The American insurance system costs people double! 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Had a really interesting discussion with a Professor who works at University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. 

His point was that within 25 years a tory government would use the type 2 diabetes epidemic and its associated costs to privatise the NHS. 

It wouldn't surprise me. Although I reckon privatisation will happen a lot quicker than that timescale.