You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Old Firm games

Harry Squatter

A couple of my mates have suggested going to one of these should Rangers get back in the Premier League. I'm no real fan of Scottish footy and think the religious aspect of the game is wank. However, I'd probably still like to go just to see what it's like plus I like Glasgow as a city having been up there a few times with work. It was always during the summer so never got to see a game.

Has anyone on here been to one, if so:

How easy would it be to get hold of a ticket if you didn't know anyone up there?. Would you have to go through one of those rip off ticket sites?

Are there always scraps in Glasgow after the game, basically are a couple of English fellas likely to get glassed by a load of angry Scotsmen?

Atmosphere wise is Ibrox or Celtic Park the best?

Now that it's a one horse race and Rangers have been out of the top division is it likely to be much of a spectacle compared to years gone by?.

I would imagine the absence of the fixture has only heightened even further the emnity...

I went to one at Parkhead back in the late 80's and it was fucking unbelievable - never heard noise like it and i am guessing that even in todays sanitised environment it must still be something.

There is clearly a lot of shite attached to the fixture but my view is like with anything you can find or avoid aggravation - it's up to you.

No idea how you get tickets nowadays.

• Upvote 1

I would imagine the absence of the fixture has only heightened even further the emnity...

I went to one at Parkhead back in the late 80's and it was fucking unbelievable - never heard noise like it and i am guessing that even in todays sanitised environment it must still be something.

There is clearly a lot of shite attached to the fixture but my view is like with anything you can find or avoid aggravation - it's up to you.

an tha knows.

Worst celtic team in years and while they initially rejoiced in the demise of rangers the reality is they ve both suffered. A long way away from the teams of the early to mid 2000s.

They used to do a deal were you both 4 or 5 tickets for home games and one of them was rangers. Prob best to wait to.next season when they play each other 4 times in the league instead of trying to get tickets this season for a one off cup game that may or may not happen this season. Theres still a big demand I reckon.

The Celtic lads looked after us any time we went up there when we played them. They had alot of time for scousers and were very supportive of our fight for justice. Never any hint of bother and i know from speaking to my blueshite supporting family/friends, any time they went up to Glasgow, there was no bother either with Celtic.

I met a few Rangers fans around the city. They were pretty sound. Alot of them liked chelsea...make of that what you will.

Two massive clubs. Pity their rivalry is built on sectarianism.

I'd veer towards Celtic Park but that's just my opinion.

Rangers demise was funny to laugh at, at the time. The reality is it has fucked the SPL. Even though it was agreed that TV money would remain similar, the only pull the SPL has had since the mid 80's is the old firm. 

I've been to quite  a few through the years and it is an atmosphere like no other but I can honestly see it being different next year. It will still be an experience but for me Celtic's atmosphere has been ruined by the green brigade. All that 'Celtic Ultras' stuff is just cringeworthy and the singing at Parkhead is dictated by whatever the fucking drummer in that corner decides he wants to pump out next. Years ago as a kid I went to Old Firms that kicked off at 5 past 6 on a sunday night and the atmosphere was outrageous. Nothing like say, Anfield on a European night or even Celtic Park for that matter. The venom in the air is mental. 

The best atmosphere next year will be at Ibrox I would imagine but I would never condone sitting amongst them lot. I know a few r*ngers fans and they are sound but collectively they are fucking horrible. I'm not just saying that either (and I know a few Celtic fans who are pricks to be fair) but r*ngers fans cause murder anywhere they go. Chelsea are r*ngers light when it comes to spouting bile and acting like twats. I've been to Ibrox 4 times with Celtic and we get the whole Broomloan road, two tiers and the generates some serious fucking noise. Especially if Celtic score/win. 

As for the quality of Celtic. It certainly is the worst Celtic team since the early 90's. R*ngers right now are a mid-table spl club who over the course of the season still won't get near Celtic. Obviously they will bring in players but a two horse race I can't see happening for a few years yet. 

It's not as bad as it used to be around the city. A few mates went the semi-final last year at hamden and said it was a bit shit. Remember this isn't r*ngers anymore it's sevco! (I don't agree with that last statement, they will always be "them lot" '. 

• Upvote 2

Rangers demise was funny to laugh at, at the time. The reality is it has fucked the SPL. Even though it was agreed that TV money would remain similar, the only pull the SPL has had since the mid 80's is the old firm.

I've been to quite a few through the years and it is an atmosphere like no other but I can honestly see it being different next year. It will still be an experience but for me Celtic's atmosphere has been ruined by the green brigade. All that 'Celtic Ultras' stuff is just cringeworthy and the singing at Parkhead is dictated by whatever the fucking drummer in that corner decides he wants to pump out next. Years ago as a kid I went to Old Firms that kicked off at 5 past 6 on a sunday night and the atmosphere was outrageous. Nothing like say, Anfield on a European night or even Celtic Park for that matter. The venom in the air is mental.

The best atmosphere next year will be at Ibrox I would imagine but I would never condone sitting amongst them lot. I know a few r*ngers fans and they are sound but collectively they are fucking horrible. I'm not just saying that either (and I know a few Celtic fans who are pricks to be fair) but r*ngers fans cause murder anywhere they go. Chelsea are r*ngers light when it comes to spouting bile and acting like twats. I've been to Ibrox 4 times with Celtic and we get the whole Broomloan road, two tiers and the generates some serious fucking noise. Especially if Celtic score/win.

As for the quality of Celtic. It certainly is the worst Celtic team since the early 90's. R*ngers right now are a mid-table spl club who over the course of the season still won't get near Celtic. Obviously they will bring in players but a two horse race I can't see happening for a few years yet.

It's not as bad as it used to be around the city. A few mates went the semi-final last year at hamden and said it was a bit shit. Remember this isn't r*ngers anymore it's sevco! (I don't agree with that last statement, they will always be "them lot" '.

do you think a 10 in a row now would be tainted given the current state of the league or do you not give a fuck?

• Upvote 1

I would give it a miss, Celtic and Rangers are both as bad as each other, the games are turgid, the 'atmosphere' is a load of songs about stuff that happened in Ireland about 400 years ago and the city centre will be the same as Glasgow every other night of the year, fucking horrible.

My Dad and my brother are both Rangers daft and I thank my lucky stars I wasn't indoctrinated.

do you think a 10 in a row now would be tainted given the current state of the league or do you not give a fuck?

When it comes to winding them up I don't think any tim will give a flying fuck.

Same as none of them cunts care that they won about 4 of their titles illegally.

Its still all bollocks.

Oh and give me Glasgow over Edinburgh anyday mook yer friggin ned

• Upvote 1

When it comes to winding them up I don't think any tim will give a flying fuck.

Same as none of them cunts care that they won about 4 of their titles illegally.

Its still all bollocks.

Oh and give me Glasgow over Edinburgh anyday mook yer friggin ned

CCS ya cunt.

CSC isnt it you backward twat

No.

If I was backwards it would've been SCC. Which sounds like an exam board or something.

"Have you sat your SCCs yet?"

"No, but I fisted your Mum last night you fucking titwank."

Just for some context.

I'll try Hearts Vs Hibs instead then.

Nice one everyone for your posts. I worked about 2 minutes away from Ibrox when I was up there, went round the stadium and did the tour of Celtic park on another day.

The World Cup was starting the day after I was leaving, these two security guards had the paper out on their desk and the front page was all anti English and how they would laugh when England got knocked out. They were going on a bitter rant about England saying they would watch every game and support whoever played England. They didn't see the irony that they were too shit to get there themselves.

Some woman who was working up there with me genuinely knew nothing about football and said "oh and who have Scotland got in their group". Obviously they weren't in it but these two security guards thought she was being sarcastic and started threatening her. I had to step in and explain she wasn't taking the piss.

Scotland, the Evertonians of international footy.

• Upvote 1