You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NO MORE FLAGS ON THE KOP

kop77

Maybe 1 or 2 but there wasn't that many it was scarfs that people held over their head during ynwa. You weren't allowed them in the ground.

Defo more scarves, yeah - and maybe the flags and banners were more for "special" occassions like big european nights and of course the last standing kop. I do recall seeing flags on the old kop though in good numbers.

The sort of organised flags are new, yeah.

I find it quite ironic that there are so many fans up in arms over the fact that the tradition of flags and banners on the kop is under threat when it is a relatively new thing. When the Kop was a terraced stand there where no flags or banners as you weren't allowed them in the ground. The flags and banners have only started after the 2005 final. What's more if fans want to show their support for the team then why don't they leave their flags at home and instead of their 5 minutes of flag waving before the game actually do what the Kop traditionally done and sing and make some noise during the match.

Utter bollocks to say flags only started after 2005!

• Upvote 2

Being an old twat, I can remember flags appearing on the Kop in the mid sixties. Not the elaborate, factory products like today but homemade efforts, often with stitched on lettering that would detach with use or over energetic waving. One flag just had '-HAMPIONS' on it at the end of this game. It was my banner; a medium sized St George thing with masking tape lettering (I couldn't stitch) picked out on the red cross. The 'C' hardly made it through the first couple of waves. I was no craftsman.

Old naval flags were often used, with just the addition of a deformed Liver Bird or more dodgy lettering a Red Duster could become a banner worthy of the Durham Gala.

Yet the thing that made The Kop was its 'roar'. Not constant singing but an almost primal noise that rose from the throats of the twenty odd thousand fans, at the kick off or, as at times yesterday, when we were attacking incessantly seeking a match saving or, more frequently, match winning goal. Even on less manic occasions the crowd noise would rumble on throughout games. The mute button was never really used.

I'm not a regular at the games these days, a financial thing, but I was at the Swansea game with my brother. The section of the main stand we were in was very placid. My brother and I are fairly vocal; not singing and chanting but just general screams of encouragement mixed with passages of foul mouthed abuse. Even through the tedium of that game we still found enough to get us all shouty and animated. Yet all around us was near silence. Ok, the Asian and the Scandinavian visitors, and there were a lot of them, can't be expected to be quite as emotionally unstable as a pair of local dinosaurs, but, by fuck, they were quiet. 

Yet when you restrict and reduce everything that made The Kop what it was - a self regulating assembly of passionately opinionated, humorous, angry, devoted and very, very vocal individuals - you produce what you have now. When you curtail the freedom of expression and the outlet of emotion that going to the match allowed, when you insist on rigidity of movement (standing up and that) and when you produce a list of 'unacceptable' words that will turn you into a social leper should you utter a single of them, then you are turning supporters into mere onlookers. 

The strenuous attempts of some Kopites to whip up some singing and some atmosphere at the Swansea game was laudable but even I would resist joining in with that fucking awful 'Every Other Saturday'. Just stick to shouting encouragement....or abuse. Make a noise, any noise, and make it until it becomes a roar. The odd song is fine Yet, as in the 60s, the emotion flows when it  isn't quite as melodic. 

Anyway, excuse the ramble. Here's The Kop, with flags, in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGLzC2LXd0

• Upvote 19

I was speaking to the guy today who owns the massive flag that gets passed over everyone before the game(Frank who lives in halewood)and he said that he thought It had all been resolved between the club and other flag owners at the last meeting they held,the club were going to put up signs in the kop and a note on the back of tickets to the effect that views may be restricted before kick off by flags but before kickoff all flags would be lowered and put away.

Frank said that he fully expected to unfurl his flags on Sunday(he has the Hillsborough flag and the one with five European cups and eighteen league cups on)but on the day,no signs had been put up,and tickets for the match were printed a while ago without the bit about the flags.

Frank told me that his flags have been accredited with the club for years,tested for fire resistance etc.and he agreed to support the other flag owners on Sunday,but he said he will definitely be flying his flags at next home game.

He said that on the spion kop 1906 website it explains in a bit more detail about the flag owners position,about tradition,ticket prices etc.I've not been on yet to read it but will do

I just wanted to come back on after saying that the flags would be back on Sunday ,which I was told by my brother in law who is one of Frank's best mates.

At the time of writing,we all thought the matter had been fully resolved.

Apologies for the duff info !

• Upvote 6

I've just had a look on the 1906 face book account - I might be using it wrong as I don't have a facebook account myself, but I can't see any update beyond the one that has previously been posted on here that was released through SoS. 

Same on their twitter account. No updates.

• 2 weeks later...

The club are planing to put signs around the Kop making it clear that if you are in that stand you will have disruption to your view from time to time due to flags and other displays of support.
well done kop1906/SOS,Lads

the atmosphere was great on Saturday with loads of flags and no one leaving early.

the klopp effect maybe, lets hope its the turning point, 

a few big games coming up now so lets all do our bit

and get the fucking place bouncing       

Jurgen Klopp on how he plans to transform the Anfield atmosphere - just like he did at Dortmund 

Klopp doesn't care what other teams think as he plans on creating a 'common atmosphere' at Anfield

Jurgen Klopp has revealed how he plans on transforming the atmosphere at Anfield - just like he did at Borussia Dortmund.

The German was criticised by some fans and pundits for taking the players to salute the Kop after Divock Origi’s late strike secured a 2-2 draw at home to West Brom in early December, but Klopp says that he simply doesn’t care what other clubs think of his actions.

Speaking on BBC Football Focus, Klopp told of creating a “common atmosphere” at Anfield, just like he did at Dortmund. Contrary to popular belief, Klopp said that Dortmund also suffered from a poor atmosphere at the Westfalenstadion before he arrived in 2008.

He said: “When I came to Dortmund and we started to work together, it was not the best atmosphere.

“They (the fans) felt they had to wait too long for the next success. What we did we created a common atmosphere, only for us. The team started show the crowd that from this moment on that we were prepared to do more to make it easier for the crowd to enjoy what we were doing.

“That we are talking about this shows me, in my understanding, that something is wrong at the moment in the football world,” he said about the West Brom “salute”.

“If it is not possible for a team to show they are thankful for the atmosphere, and somebody is then saying ‘this is only for special moments’, why? The people are celebrating each goal. There will always be a gap between us. We play, they watch. That’s not the way I understand life.

“We don’t know how long we live so we have to take the day, we have to take the moment and if there is a moment to celebrate, do it.

“For example, you can go home to your family and celebrate Christmas like you want and it’s not interesting what anybody outside of your four walls says about this.

“They might say ‘they have the trees blinking blue and green, are they crazy?’ And you say it’s a colour you like. It’s not interesting what everybody else says.

“We are not in the world to do what everybody wants. We have to be a group. sometimes it’s family or friends and, how I understand it, LFC is family and friends.”
  •  
  •  
  •  

• 7 years later...
On 14/12/2015 at 09:39, torahboy said:

Being an old twat, I can remember flags appearing on the Kop in the mid sixties. Not the elaborate, factory products like today but homemade efforts, often with stitched on lettering that would detach with use or over energetic waving. One flag just had '-HAMPIONS' on it at the end of this game. It was my banner; a medium sized St George thing with masking tape lettering (I couldn't stitch) picked out on the red cross. The 'C' hardly made it through the first couple of waves. I was no craftsman.

Old naval flags were often used, with just the addition of a deformed Liver Bird or more dodgy lettering a Red Duster could become a banner worthy of the Durham Gala.

Yet the thing that made The Kop was its 'roar'. Not constant singing but an almost primal noise that rose from the throats of the twenty odd thousand fans, at the kick off or, as at times yesterday, when we were attacking incessantly seeking a match saving or, more frequently, match winning goal. Even on less manic occasions the crowd noise would rumble on throughout games. The mute button was never really used.

I'm not a regular at the games these days, a financial thing, but I was at the Swansea game with my brother. The section of the main stand we were in was very placid. My brother and I are fairly vocal; not singing and chanting but just general screams of encouragement mixed with passages of foul mouthed abuse. Even through the tedium of that game we still found enough to get us all shouty and animated. Yet all around us was near silence. Ok, the Asian and the Scandinavian visitors, and there were a lot of them, can't be expected to be quite as emotionally unstable as a pair of local dinosaurs, but, by fuck, they were quiet. 

Yet when you restrict and reduce everything that made The Kop what it was - a self regulating assembly of passionately opinionated, humorous, angry, devoted and very, very vocal individuals - you produce what you have now. When you curtail the freedom of expression and the outlet of emotion that going to the match allowed, when you insist on rigidity of movement (standing up and that) and when you produce a list of 'unacceptable' words that will turn you into a social leper should you utter a single of them, then you are turning supporters into mere onlookers. 

The strenuous attempts of some Kopites to whip up some singing and some atmosphere at the Swansea game was laudable but even I would resist joining in with that fucking awful 'Every Other Saturday'. Just stick to shouting encouragement....or abuse. Make a noise, any noise, and make it until it becomes a roar. The odd song is fine Yet, as in the 60s, the emotion flows when it  isn't quite as melodic. 

Anyway, excuse the ramble. Here's The Kop, with flags, in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGLzC2LXd0

What a brilliant post, and I’m only 8 years late to read it.