You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City 1 Liverpool 4 (Nov 21 2012)

tlw content

No idea. Pretty sure the commentators made some reference to them not being used to playing together though.

On norwegian telly, one expert said Mangala and Demichelis had played together 12 times before, winning 10 drawing two. Probably league matches, so 14 in all sounds about right. Also, with Kompanys injury record... each central defender at City must be pretty used to playing with any of the others.

Skaro I'd love you to be right ......it's just being burnt with hope too many times over the last 25 years.....

Agree though I think we can win a trophy or get close to it.....

As I said it's just nice to have a manager who is getting everyone excited and putting the pride back In the shirt...

To be fair to Roger's he kinda did the same in 2013/14, it's just that you never got the feeling it would last with him, 

Yep he did for sure, although six games into the following season the consensus pretty much was that that was that. 

The difference now might be that it's not just about one player, but a manager.

On norwegian telly, one expert said Mangala and Demichelis had played together 12 times before, winning 10 drawing two. Probably league matches, so 14 in all sounds about right. Also, with Kompanys injury record... each central defender at City must be pretty used to playing with any of the others.

Wow! They have experts analysing football in Norway!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good read and analysis Dave but we still have a way to go both at home and away against ropey teams that will sit back en bloc trying to hit us with a set piece or break away. In our successful away performances have generally been against better teams who have tried to play/beat us...as City tried to and failed.

A different formula is needed at home and I am not sure how we will do it...Sturridge would help if ever it. More width maybe? Ibe/Clyne duo down the right? It is so difficult to play a fast pressing game when 10 men sit back as many will do....so we tend inevitably to slow down, play in front of them, and too often try to play through the middle of them. Better set pieces would help too....delivery of corners/free kicks has been rank most of the season (though there were some better ones Saturday and against palace)

If Klopp cracks that one....well exciting times

We coped with Chelsea's parked bus at Stamford Bridge a lot better recently, than we managed to in April 2014.

Beating the attacking Champions of 2014, 1-4, and the defensive Champions of 2015, 1-3... with a defeat to a perennial bogey side sandwiched in between... gives me hope that this guy will find a way to have us consistently beating parked-bus shite some time very soon.

Better crosses/set pieces to a Benteke target could be one key to this.  Perhaps more so than a fit Sturridge, which is still too oxymoronic a situation to rely on.

Whatever the case, I can't contain my excitement for the times ahead.

I was in the city section for the match well the first 7 mins got ejected moved further round got ejected and finally ended up in a section right down the other end .

Quick word on the cityfans who apologised as one twat was moaning and kept getting me moved credit for their sporting words to me given they were 3 down.

Point is I sat in 3 areas of the ground and they fuckin love De Bruyne and they detest sterling to a fuckin man

Never heard one single word of encouragement for him.

Instant dislike for his agent.

It's going to take a real effort to win them round so guess he will be off in 3 years .

Sterling's decision to move is looking more and more vindicated. How else would he have been sure of first team football?

• Upvote 4

Good read and analysis Dave but we still have a way to go both at home and away against ropey teams that will sit back en bloc trying to hit us with a set piece or break away. In our successful away performances have generally been against better teams who have tried to play/beat us...as City tried to and failed.

A different formula is needed at home and I am not sure how we will do it...Sturridge would help if ever it. More width maybe? Ibe/Clyne duo down the right? It is so difficult to play a fast pressing game when 10 men sit back as many will do....so we tend inevitably to slow down, play in front of them, and too often try to play through the middle of them. Better set pieces would help too....delivery of corners/free kicks has been rank most of the season (though there were some better ones Saturday and against palace)

If Klopp cracks that one....well exciting times

One twos and plenty of movement in and around the box. Getting wide, down to the bye line and pulling the ball back to on rushing forwards. Allied with players running at speed into the box with the ball, and ensuing penalties aplenty. As Dalglish used to say when quizzed on the number of penalties we used to get "It's quite simple. We have lots of players hitting the box at all angles. If defenders can't tackle properly, that's not our problem." Simples.