You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City 1 Liverpool 4 (Nov 21 2012)

tlw content

cityreport1.jpg

That’s easily the best we’ve played since we hammered Arsenal 5-1 and when you look at the circumstances surrounding it, it’s pretty amazing what we just did here. Our best defender was missing, our best midfielder (and club captain) was missing, and we started the game without our three best strikers. Yet we absolutely battered City and the 4-1 scoreline flattered them big time. Are we back? We might just be you know, although we'll need to hammer some mediocre sides at home before we can truly say we've arrived.

A combination of below par finishing from Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke and some great goalkeeping by Joe Hart kept the scoreline from being majorly embarrassing for City. This should have been seven or even eight and they should be thankful it wasn’t. They began the day at the top of the table but from watching this you’d think that it was us who were the leaders and title favourites. Give us a couple of months and maybe we will be. I’m not even kidding, if we can play like this then why not?

We’ve still got weaknesses and things we need to work on, but any team that can win 3-1 at Chelsea and then 4-1 at City within the space of a few weeks has to be taken seriously, surely? Of course we lost at home to Palace and drew with Southampton in that same period, and that is the thing holding us back now. Sort out the home form and why can’t we be up there? It’s not like anyone else is pulling up trees. I mean Leicester are top of the table for fucks sake!

I was confident before the game that we wouldn’t lose, the main reason being that we’ve shown already under Klopp that we can play well in the difficult away games. I’m not worried about these games, I’m worried about our inability to beat shite at home. That said, I didn’t think for a second we’d be able to do THIS. It was just brilliant. Not perfect, as Klopp rightly pointed out afterwards, but still pretty fucking good like.

The decision to not start with Benteke was a gamble and no doubt there’ll have been some mutterings from fans about the wisdom of playing without a striker. It worked at Chelsea, but that doesn’t mean it would work in this one, and let’s not forget that two of our three goals at Chelsea came AFTER Benteke was brought on. Yet it did work. It worked like a fucking charm. 

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 1

One of the key moments for me in snuffing out any chance of them getting back into it was watching the footage as the half-time whistle went and seeing Klopp purposefully bombing off towards the dressing room.

We were wobbling a bit there after they scored, and City upped their game for a spell after the break, but we mostly felt assured and comfortable once we came back out.  No wonder the players' belief is blossoming; watching his know-how and focus on what's needed at this remove is impressive.

Interesting you mention 'below par finishing' when this was the most accurate we've been under Klopp. We had 14 shots of which 9 were on target compared to 22 shots with just 4 on target against Palace and 23 shots and 6 on target against Rubin Kazan for example.

If we couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo against Palace, the same cow would have woken up with a right red rump this morning!

• Upvote 3

Great read that,can feel the buzz you wrote it with,when firmino scored my son shouted,that's a barca goal!,firmino needs to watch luis second goal in the Classico last night,just a last second delay before the strike,takes nerves of steel,I think we might have a real player here,it's just great that you can't wait for the next game

It's good to see someone acknowledging that you don't have to go back to Rafa, or even further, to see performances like that. I think where there may be a difference from two years ago is that it's hard to believe that Liverpool could have gone out and did that again to Arsenal the following week, Suarez and all (in fact, they didn't). I'd be confident Liverpool could dish out a similar hiding to Man City next week if they were asked. Now if he can come up with a plan for the Palaces of this world, we're laughing.

I was in the city section for the match well the first 7 mins got ejected moved further round got ejected and finally ended up in a section right down the other end .

Quick word on the cityfans who apologised as one twat was moaning and kept getting me moved credit for their sporting words to me given they were 3 down.

Point is I sat in 3 areas of the ground and they fuckin love De Bruyne and they detest sterling to a fuckin man

Never heard one single word of encouragement for him.

Instant dislike for his agent.

It's going to take a real effort to win them round so guess he will be off in 3 years .

• Upvote 3

Look forward every week on reading your reports Dave especially now with Klopp in charge .He's definitely bought the feelgood factor back to Lfc !!!!! Looking forward to thursday night albeit with a different line up and I definitely wont be leaving early and singing my b**ls off for this man !!!! Very proud and excited once again (a grown up man of 47 for fucks sake ) Let the good times roll !!!!!!♥♥

Stop this now it's getting silly...We ain't going to win the league getting in the top four would be an incredible achievement, so can we please go back to the old Liverpool way of keeping everyone's feet on the floor and taking one game at a time. There will still be the Palace type slip ups but hopefully they will be less and less as the season goes on.

It's just fucking brilliant to have such a great manager in charge once again of our club.  

All I said was it happened in 2013/14, Sticky.  When I was nowhere near as excited about the manager as I am now.

I'm happy to sit it out this term. I've waited 25 fucking years, I dare say I can wait a little longer.

I think we can win a trophy this season though. Nothing wrong with that I hope.

• Upvote 1

Skaro I'd love you to be right ......it's just being burnt with hope too many times over the last 25 years.....

Agree though I think we can win a trophy or get close to it.....

As I said it's just nice to have a manager who is getting everyone excited and putting the pride back In the shirt...

To be fair to Roger's he kinda did the same in 2013/14, it's just that you never got the feeling it would last with him,