You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Fucking pissing me off so much. He's supposed to be an animal in the air yet whenever he gets into the box, (which is almost never) he fucking stands stationary at the top of the eighteen and points to the ground where he wants the ball.

You would think someone who has the ability to score a lot of headed goals would try to get a run up and attack the front or back post like Carroll did to us 2 weeks ago. Instead he lazily hangs around the edge of the box like he thinks he's Frank Lampard or something.

Complete bonehead.

• Upvote 1

if we sell him this month so be it. if we don't then klopp has to show his coaching skills and make him the focus of the team.

tired of 'hes not my type of player' excuses.

He's tried that, we score more without him in the team.   Klopp has been more than fair to the lump as far as giving him a chance to show his worth.

There was one moment last night when Ibe I think it was rolled it across the 6 yard box and the stupid twat was stood on the penalty spot complaining. It was begging for a tap in.

That bit reminded me of Balotelli at Old Trafford (when Sterling was one on one ) except Mario was 15-20 yards further back and moaning louder.

Same last year with balotelli. managers have to find a way of using these players even if it means temporarily chaging their own ideas.

why cant we just play to Benteke's strengths til the summer then get rid instead of having him here earning a fortune sitting on the bench?

• Upvote 1

top scorer. 1 in 2 player at villa. even if hes 1 in 5 for the rest of this season he ll score more than anyone else.

if hes here he has to be used especially when we re scoring so few

We score far more when Benteke is out of the team. We scored 3 past Arsenal, 4 past City and 3 past Chelsea, all games where Firmino started upfront with Benteke on the bench (although he did score one of them goals against Chelsea).

I couldn't care less if he ends up our top scorer. As someone rightly pointed out before, he takes far more goals out of the team than he brings to the team due to his tendency of getting in other players' way. Plus he offers nothing in the build-up so the team ends up creating less goal scoring chances in the first place.

last 6 league games

3-0 away to watford

1-0 leicester benteke

1-0 sunderland benteke

2-0 west ham

3-3 arsenal sets up allen equaliser

0-1 united

7 points from those games and he scored winners for 6 of those and set up allen for point against arsenal.

3 games he hasnt started and we havent scored.

im no fan of his but if hes here he needs to be used better than he has.

Benteke isn't a simple problem with a simple solution though. 

When he's in the team and we try to play a pressing game and score by playing our way through a packed opposition defence he's dogshit. He offers nothing.

Maybe theres an argument that the likes of Lallana and Coutinho behind him arn't doing enough for him. But there's been enough analysis done on his performances that have clearly showed he's not suited at all for the way we like to play. 

But in saying all that he will score goals if hes used properly. For Villa he lived off crosses and quick counter attacks where he'd have wide forwards either side of him bombing down the pitch trying to play him in within the box.

We don't do that. If we had the personnel to do that I'd guess Klopp would be doing it right now. 

In saying all that I think he will get goals but only if we be more pragmatic and abandon the current way of playing. Just play ugly lump it up to him football if it's at all possible. Or drop the team deep and try and play on the counter. 

There's no easy solution to any of it thats palatable.