You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

We all knew he was going to be shit and a waste of space when he was first linked with us. What is frightening is that professionals who are paid a hefty salary to know that, didn't. And so an enormous quantity of, let's face it, our money, was essentially pissed down the drain.

• Upvote 1

We all knew he was going to be shit and a waste of space when he was first linked with us. What is frightening is that professionals who are paid a hefty salary to know that, didn't. And so an enormous quantity of, let's face it, our money, was essentially pissed down the drain again.

Fixed that!

He was terrible tonight in a game where you would expect him to at least fight from the front.

First time I've thought it might be worth cutting our losses

He DID fight from the front.

We weren't slinging in crosses, so he was dropping in trying to link up play and get involved.

He had one decent chance and the keeper pulled off a top save (some would say "world class" save...).

He is not producing enough goals, but you couldn't fault his efforts tonight.  He wasn't a shining beacon, but he was playing with lads who've never been on a pitch with him before.

He tried hard, and did some decent things.

• Upvote 3

Benteke was shite and hardly tried.If that was trying then please just dont bother and find another club.

He looked worse than a bunch of lower league players and young kids with no senior game experience.

I think Klopp is giving Bogdan and Benteke,maybe even Enrique,enough rope to hang themselves and justify him fucking them all off at the first opportunity.

• Upvote 1

We weren't slinging in crosses, so he was dropping in trying to link up play and get involved.

He had one decent chance and the keeper pulled off a top save (some would say "world class" save...).

He is not producing enough goals, but you couldn't fault his efforts tonight.  He wasn't a shining beacon, but he was playing with lads who've never been on a pitch with him before.

really-animated-reaction-gif.gif?gs=a

• Upvote 2

His general play is absolutely dreadful. You basically need to avoid him like the plague in the build-up because he'll lose the ball in an instant. I remember seeing a stat that the amount of times he get's dispossessed is ridiculously high and his pass accuracy is ridiculously low.

And this isn't just because he used to play for a dreadful Villa side. When you watch him play for Belgium, the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, etc. have no idea what to do with him besides crossing it and it's the same here. Nevermind Coutinho or Firmino, you could see today that even most of the youth players avoided passing it to him in tight areas.

Not to mention that he looks physically shot. I think his achilles must still be bothering him as there is no other possible explanation why he's lost the ability to run fast or even jump to win headers. He's always been poor technically but at least when he first came to England he used to be able to run and to dominate defenders physically. He can't even do that anymore.

Even disregarding the fact that imo he's lost some athleticism, I do feel bad for the guy because everyone knew what we were getting when we were buying him; a striker with a good scoring record but pretty limited skill wise and coming off a debilitating injury. He's not meant to be Zlatan with the ball at his feet and if Rodgers and the club thought he would be than that's their fault, not Benteke's.

Basically, the only way we'll be able to be effective with him is to constantly pump balls into the box and hope he finishes one of them off. He'll offer absolutely nothing else besides that. 

He can and will score goals...but in our side nowhere near enough to justify his place.

It is simply a case of the wrong player in the wrong team and we should jib him now and cut our losses.

Why Rodgers thought he was a good fit I just do not know and I suppose we will never know....he isn't a terrible player, he will do alright in the right team and he will have a decent career - sadly I can't believe it will be here with us.

Sell - quickly.

Lovren, Lallana, Borini, Allen, Lambert, Milner and Benteke. Rodgers' sole scouting method was watching MOTD the white-teethed, perma-tan mountebank cunt.

We spent over a hundred million pounds on those players.

We're being used to wash money, I'm fucking sure of it.

• Upvote 1

Lovren, Lallana, Borini, Allen, Lambert, Milner and Benteke. Rodgers' sole scouting method was watching MOTD the white-teethed, perma-tan mountebank cunt.

I think you are giving Rodgers too much credit there saying he did his scouting watching MOTD. His recruiting strategy was pretty much limited to buying players who impressed against us (Benteke, Lovren, Bogdan, Milner). I guess given enough tries, he eventually had to get one right in Clyne.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers parting fuck you. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew he was getting sacked in the summer after they had him pull the trigger on his lieutenants. So he concocted a payback by writing a 40 page dossier on Benteke and how he'll use him to a bunch of gullible Americans that bought it hook, line and sinker.

He's currently laughing maniacally to himself on a speedboat, holding a mojito, somewhere in the Pacific. 

Rodgers parting fuck you. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew he was getting sacked in the summer after they had him pull the trigger on his lieutenants. So he concocted a payback by writing a 40 page dossier on Benteke and how he'll use him to a bunch of gullible Americans that bought it hook, line and sinker.

He's currently laughing maniacally to himself on a speedboat, holding a mojito, somewhere in the Pacific. 

If he hadn't bought the likes of Borini, Balotelli, Aspas and Lambert previously, your theory would be a very plausible one.

His movement is shocking. Murphy was moaning on comms all night that we werent putting crosses in for him, but when he is stood at the edge of the box all the time why bother.

He never tries to get across his marker so near post is out of the question.Never plays on the shoulder of the last man.  And i would personally love to see how many tap ins he has had in his career because he treats the 6 yard box like the Bermuda Triangle

And as for the stupid little flicks.... well.........

His movement is shocking. Murphy was moaning on comms all night that we werent putting crosses in for him, but when he is stood at the edge of the box all the time why bother.

He never tries to get across his marker so near post is out of the question.Never plays on the shoulder of the last man.  And i would personally love to see how many tap ins he has had in his career because he treats the 6 yard box like the Bermuda Triangle

And as for the stupid little flicks.... well.........

There was a point where Sheyi Ojo ran towards the byeline and crossed into the box inviting a tap in.  Benteke was stood on the penalty spot.

• Upvote 1

I think you credit him with far too much foresight . The simple answer was that he was allowed to spend huge sums of money doing a job he was under-qualified to do.

I've said it many times but Rodgers had some success and got plaudits for what he did at Swansea ,with a small budget and modest squad, where CL qualification was not expected.

Its a whole different ball game at Liverpool where it soon became clear he was clueless in the transfer market and very poor in managing a big squad. It's the owners fault for over promoting a rookie and sticking with him so long,

Never was the "Peter Principle " so starkly illustrated than with Rodgers spell as Liverpool manager

Feel sorry for him to be honest he is obviously not cut out to play in a team that tries to play football, if next season he plays for a Pulis or Allardyce side he would be an incredible handful. You only have to see the pre season volley, the header v Norwich the goal against the Mancs and some for Villa to know he's got talent....

It just be that we won't be hopefully seeing it next season here.

The really annoying thing is, on the very rare occasion when he does engineer some space for himself, no team mates notice it, because they (quite rightly) assume he'll be stood there like a post.

Last night there was one instance when he'd managed to get his back to the fullback, side on, and with the CB looking elsewhere. He pointed into the space but the midfielder never even thought to look to him.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy now, and I doubt anything will break the cycle. He doesn't move; no one looks to play it to him; so he doesn't move. It's getting painful to watch, and made all the more painful by the knowledge that everyone called it in the summer, and it's cost us £32.5m to see it unfold.

• Upvote 1