You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Belated happy new year.

The mummy will be gone soon it was all so predictable. Allardyce will hopefully buy him and bail us out.

Sterling plus 15 million for Benteke is even worse than Carroll plus 15millions. At least Torres was on the way down whilst Sterling is on the way up.

QPR took a chunk too.

He reminds me a bit of Djibril Cisse in that it's not entirely clear he has ever learnt how to play football. 

Cisse relied on his speed and a bullet shot but he couldn't make runs for toffee. Rafa eventually gave up attempting to teach him how to play.

Benteke is the same but has probably relied on his strength and size. But in terms of any game intelligence or nous he's clueless. He's always seems to be the wrong side of his man, he comes short when he should go long etc.

Such an infuriating player because technically he's not bad and with his physique he should really dominate games. But his mentality is so poor and he has no footballing brain whatsover.  

Even Tim Sherwood warned him not to sign for Liverpool as he would struggle to adapt to the style.

The collective lack of logic, football knowledge, or imagination under the previous management regime and the current board is an absolute disgrace. I don't know why matchgoing Liverpool fans aren't going absolutely mental and protesting it. Peasant mentality.

He made andy fucking carroll look like pele today. nuff said.

we made him look like Eusebio when he was at villa and carroll was probably playing for us against him.

its one thing doing it for newcastle west ham and villa its another thing doing it at a big club.

• Upvote 1

He reminds me a bit of Djibril Cisse in that it's not entirely clear he has ever learnt how to play football. 

Cisse relied on his speed and a bullet shot but he couldn't make runs for toffee. Rafa eventually gave up attempting to teach him how to play.

Benteke is the same but has probably relied on his strength and size. But in terms of any game intelligence or nous he's clueless. He's always seems to be the wrong side of his man, he comes short when he should go long etc.

Such an infuriating player because technically he's not bad and with his physique he should really dominate games. But his mentality is so poor and he has no footballing brain whatsover.  

I reckon if you go in the Balotelli thread you would find very similar posts. If not word for word.

50 odd million out the wazoo.

It seems after careful analysis Rawk have found something our scouts overlooked, his slopping fod is impacting on his aerial ability.

BOBSCOUSE

You'd think so with his height, but when he skied a header in the last game over the bar that looked as though the cross was at a decent height, I wondered how he got the trajectory wrong?

Then I saw a replay and close up shot of him side on, and I realised that he has a forehead which slopes really sharply and that, my friends, is why he will struggle to score from headers more frequently than he should.

The problem is the team can't play with a target man as the only striker, I honestly think a prime Shearer would struggle playing up front alone in our team.

They don't know how to make runs off him and no one does anything when he lays the ball off, he done a few nice layoffs yesterday only for the midfielders to constantly lose the ball.Hes also getting a lot of criticism which is unfair and not helping his confidence.

I saw the wba highlights last night where Lambert played up front alone, he had players running ahead of him and feeding off his layoffs.He had the same problem at LFC that Benteke has now, Benteke needs to play in a 2 up front here and I think that's what he was signed for considering we have 3 other strikers in the squad.

Anyone blaming Benteke for yesterday is deluded

The amount and type of service he got was disgraceful

Coutinho and Ibe were a disgrace offensively and defensively

The slow build up and delivery is not bentekes fault -  its a simple game when he plays - get the ball wide quickly and whip it in - if he's not there then we ask questions 

• Upvote 1

The "service" malarkey is nonsense, top players don't depend on service they create and do for themselves. You're telling me Suarez or Sturridge ever have games where they lament their lack of "service", they create chances by great movement and capitalising on opposition mistakes. Benteke just stands there and reacts 2 seconds later than everyone else and throws his arms in the air.

• Upvote 4

He's got 6 goals, I think if he knocks in 15-18, that's a very respectable return for his first season.

For the millionth time, the measure of a good attacking player is not solely how many goals he scores as an individual, it is how many goals the team scores while he is on the pitch.

We are averaging less than a goal a game while Benteke plays.  We have over 1.5 goals/game when he doesn't play.