You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Benteke will be sold. With the money floating about with the new TV deal we will get close to our money back - I'm guessing £25M. Prices for other players will go up too, so that £25M won't be what it was last year, but still, on the books at least, I don't expect much of a loss. But then again, I don't really care about the books (to a point).

Benteke is not a good fit for us. We need to sell him and replace with someone with pace, movement, finishing... It will be interesting to see if we get a young player for Klopp to shape, or someone a bit older. I suppose what happens with Sturridge might influence that. I can see Origi growing in prominence for us too.

Lots of permutations, but Benteke's departure is looking more and more likely. I don't mind that he's sort of sticking up for himself in his comments, but I think it does indicate he knows he is going. If he was staying he would keep his head down and try harder to do what the manager wants, but his comments are a bit feisty and read like, "I'm a good player when I play to my strengths."

He might well be, but it won't be at Liverpool.

Klopp never bought him or promised him a starting berth. He has played plenty and done next to nothing. Basically in his own words not bothered his arse to adapt. The Klopp talk about buying him for Dortmund was a bit of psychology that failed on the thick cunt. I fucknig hate modern players. People talk about our attacking greats, forget the greats, he is not fit to lace David Johnson's boots, he is not even fit to lace David Hodgson's the lazy bastard. Can we not put him and that other wastrel Balotelli in a package deal to China for a container of toys or something. Pallet of Sui Mai's would be a fair swap. Just.

West Ham are one of a few clubs that are poised to break out and, with a fair wind, could find themselves competing to try to get a CL spot on a regular basis. So I can see how a case could be made that selling Benteke to them would be a mistake. 

On the other hand, we'll just have to see what options come up. Ideally a Chinese team will offer us a bundle of cash, and the wages will be such that he will go there. But I'm not confident that will happen, as I get the impression that Benteke sees himself as a player who has years of his prime to go, and he wants to make his mark in the Premier League.

West Ham seems the most likely destination, but you never know. Unfortunately, if and when he plays against Liverpool in the future, he will be in full on beast mode. Still, we have to worry about ourselves first and foremost. He's not a good fit here and we need something different.  

Here is the full article from Barrett:

Christian Benteke has questioned Jürgen Klopp’s reluctance to pick him for Liverpool, insisting that he suits the team’s playing style, and admitting that he is perplexed by the lack of faith his manager has shown in him.

Benteke has started only six Barclays Premier League games since Klopp became manager on October 8 and he has increasingly been used as an impact substitute despite becoming the second most expensive player in Liverpool’s history when he joined from Aston Villa in a £32.5 million deal last July.

The forward’s ongoing struggle to convince Klopp that he is worthy of a regular starting place has increased the likelihood that he will leave Liverpool this summer, with West Ham United among a number of clubs monitoring his situation at Anfield.

Benteke still hopes to establish himself at Liverpool, but his admission that he is mystified by his treatment at the hands of Klopp, who once looked into the possibility of signing the Belgium striker while in charge of Borussia Dortmund, is the first public indication that he is becoming frustrated by his current plight.

“Some team-mates have said that I was lucky with the arrival of Klopp, because I certainly would play,” Benteke told Sport/Voetbalmagazine. “When your coach says he wanted to take you to Dortmund and a little later you sit at the same club and he ignores you, it is hard to understand.”

Asked what he makes of claims that he does not fit in with Klopp’s preferred high energy, high pressing playing style, Benteke was dismissive. “I find that weird,” he said. “I don’t understand why people stay that. I can press, I can move. It’s not like we are playing the Barcelona way.

“[Klopp] has told me to be more involved in the game. That seems to me one of my qualities: I like to combine, I like to get the ball. But maybe I don’t ask the ball in the right positions and maybe that’s why the team-mates don’t find me. “I’ve taken his remarks into account and I was ready to change my style like he wanted it. I’d thought that Liverpool had bought because of my qualities. It’s ideal to stay yourself, to keep your identity, while you adapt to the style of the manager. And if that doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.

“He still tells me that I’m a striker who can do everything: score goals; holding-up the ball, play one-two’s, heading. If I have that many variations in my game, why don’t I play? But, he makes the choices and I have to respect them.”

While Benteke readily concedes that he is yet to show his best form for Liverpool, with the benefit of hindsight he admits that it might have been better not to move to Anfield had he known he would not be a regular starter.

“What’s annoying me the most is that I would have never signed for Liverpool if I wasn’t the manager’s first choice. Everything was there to play a good season at a big club and it started well,” Benteke said.

“I am the first to admit that I haven’t shown enough my worth for a team like Liverpool. On the other hand, under Brendan Rodgers, I knew I would get the opportunity to show my qualities, to show that I was worth the money and that I deserved to wear the shirt of Liverpool. But now?

“Since I went to England in 2012 I’ve never been on the bench for such a long period. It hurts, especially since I never was as fit as now. That’s why I try to grab my chance when I get five or ten minutes playing time. I don’t want people to blame me for a lack of professionalism.

“Even my father, who initially was worried about my status, told me that I can’t do a lot about my situation. I’ve talked with Eden Hazard and Marouane Fellaini and they all answered the same: if a coach does not count on you, you can’t do a lot about it.”

Benteke was the subject of interest from clubs in the Chinese Super League during the January transfer window but opted to remain at Liverpool. However, he admits that he will have to consider his options at the end of this season if his situation does not improve. “In January I did not want to leave, it is my desire to succeed at Liverpool. I want to continue. At the end of the season we take stock,” he said.

Be a mistake to sell benteke to west ham imo.

It's hard to tell if he's been made lame by his injuries or not, but if his static performances here are only related to a loss of competitive spirit that he could rediscover, then he may be half decent at his next club, as before at Villa.

I don't really understand how he'll be of great benefit to the games of West Ham's more skilful attacking midfielders though so I'd welcome it. In general they play Carroll as a super(?)sub or a plan B and it works okay, so maybe they just want an upgrade on that.

Better to lose 6 points to the lumbering head stone a season if that is to be the case, than keep the lumbering head stone and have him bitch and moan while costing us many more points a season from his a. not knowing the offside rule b.not getting in the box c.missing many an easy chance and d.being a non pacy, tricky, intelligent ruthless goalscorer which is what we really need. Other than that he's been a massive success and he should be a fixture here for years to come. YNWA

• Upvote 2

West Ham are one of a few clubs that are poised to break out and, with a fair wind, could find themselves competing to try to get a CL spot on a regular basis. So I can see how a case could be made that selling Benteke to them would be a mistake. 

Really?

Because I think that a case could be made that that is the exact reason why selling them Benteke is an absolute stroke of genius.  Selling them Christian Benteke for 20-25m hurts them almost as much as it helps us in the same way that selling them Andy Carroll for 18m did.

If we consider West Ham a threat to us, then that's just all the more reason to sell them Benteke.  Unless you actually think that 25m undervalues him and they'd be getting a bargain, in which case I don't think I'll waste my breath arguing with you.  He will score 15 league goals a season there but their overall team goal output will actually decline.  I can think of few realistic options for selling Benteke that would please me more than West Ham.

Really?

Because I think that a case could be made that that is the exact reason why selling them Benteke is an absolute stroke of genius.  Selling them Christian Benteke for 20-25m hurts them almost as much as it helps us in the same way that selling them Andy Carroll for 18m did.

If we consider West Ham a threat to us, then that's just all the more reason to sell them Benteke.  Unless you actually think that 25m undervalues him and they'd be getting a bargain, in which case I don't think I'll waste my breath arguing with you.  He will score 15 league goals a season there but their overall team goal output will actually decline.  I can think of few realistic options for selling Benteke that would please me more than West Ham.

I wouldn't be bothered if we sold him to West Ham as I don't think he's very good. But in keeping with what a previous poster said, I could see how a case could be made not to sell him there... but it's not really a case I'd make.

I don't think he's a very good player, but he can be more effective for someone than he has managed to show in his time at Liverpool. I'd sell to the highest bidder, provided he would be willing to go. I suspect the highest bidder might be a Chinese team, but he may not want to go there. Failing that, West Ham for 25M would be fine by me.