You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris shootings

Lee909

Ah, so what you're saying is that not a single person exclusively blamed America for tonight's atrocity? Rather, they've made a somewhat correct claim that American foreign policy has laid the foundations for groups like ISIS coming into existence.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Pointing out the ISIS formation bit in no way blames them for tonight's events. Yet, it's still a point which merits sensible discussion.

For those capable of it.

Another one with the insults - if it makes you feel better I'm absolutely convinced you are brighter than me. That good enough for you?

No one is denying the West destabilised the area, that huge mistakes were made, but at some point you have to acknowledge that if the majority of people in the area were Buddhists or Jains the worst that would have happened would be an outbreak of tofu and chickpea shortages. As it is the majority of the people are locked in a war fueled by religious fanatics.

• Upvote 1

What about the four or five joking remarks made before SD posted ?

Because those other comments were flippant remarks, humanising responses to appalling events, rather than cheap point scoring as that seemed to be at the time

• Upvote 1

I have a different view to you, that doesn't make me wrong.

What has that got to do with you and SD clowning it up with all these idiotic comments about apologists who blame the US for everything (as always without directly naming people and just pretending there's a cabal of simpletons)?

If you don't want there to be an undertone of people suggesting brains is an issue here then possibly don't make idiotic jokes about the CIA whilst acting as if it is the pinnacle of cutting satire.

• Upvote 3

I wish we (the West) would just get the fuck out of the Middle East. Our mere military presence is enough to drive these nutcases to terror attacks. And taking part in the conflicts there, whether that's troop involvement, air bombings, drone attacks etc. will guarantee terrorist attacks against Western countries. Just leave that entire region and let the Arabs slaughter themselves if that's what they want. Our dependence on Middle Eastern oil has resulted in these foreign policies that gets us involved in various conflicts there. We need to leave them alone, and hopefully they'll leave us alone and kill each other instead. But we can't leave them alone and haven't been able to stop intervening in the Middle East since WW1. 

• Upvote 3

Another one with the insults - if it makes you feel better I'm absolutely convinced you are brighter than me. That good enough for you?

No one is denying the West destabilised the area, that huge mistakes were made, but at some point you have to acknowledge that if the majority of people in the area were Buddhists or Jains the worst that would have happened would be an outbreak of tofu and chickpea shortages. As it is the majority of the people are locked in a war fueled by religious fanatics.

Not having a pop mate. But if you mean the middle east, it's been a festering pit of sectarian and religious violence since biblical times. So has Europe now I think of it, but then those Arabs never bothered us. Oh wait, there was the Moorish invasions...and the crusades.

What was my point again? 

• Upvote 2

I wish we (the West) would just get the fuck out of the Middle East. Our mere military presence is enough to drive these nutcases to terror attacks. And taking part in the conflicts there, whether that's troop involvement, air bombings, drone attacks etc. will guarantee terrorist attacks against Western countries. Just leave that entire region and let the Arabs slaughter themselves if that's what they want. Our dependence on Middle Eastern oil has resulted in these foreign policies that gets us involved in various conflicts there. We need to leave them alone, and hopefully they'll leave us alone and kill each other instead. But we can't leave them alone and haven't been able to stop intervening in the Middle East since WW1. 

Won't happen.  Too many vested interests - arms, oil, infrastructure companies in the US, UK and the rest of the west have too much to lose.  Corporations decide foreign policy - but hey, as long as Cameron and Osborne do ok out of it, we'll just have to suck this shit up.  

• Upvote 1