You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football Manager 2016

Allan

Release day approaching, Friday 13th. Anyone played the beta? Anyone picking the game up on release day?

I'll be grabbing my copy from CD Keys tomorrow for £24.99 (Plus a further 5% discount courtesy of their Facebook page).

I didn't play the beta myself, so I'm going in blind so to speak. Fully expect a similar feel to FM15, which I grew to actually enjoy after switching off all the pointless frilly bits that have been added to the game over the years.

I am intrigued to see how the Fantasy Draft game mode plays.

Anyone up for a network game? I'm happy to host - I'll be bumping the FM16 Network game thread I created a while back.

• 1 month later...

Got round to putting a few hours into this. Started games with Aberdeen, Coventry & Liverpool. Seems like it has gone backwards, or at best it has stood still.

If you have an older version, try and update the database if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend buying this unless you're an uber fanboy, (like I have been in the past), or if you can manage to pick it up at a bargain price.

They need to sort out the tactics, the player roles are far too restrictive.

As for the team settings, they don't seem to have any impact whatsoever - you'll often find your retain possession and pass it shorter instructions are completely ignored. The same is true for shoot less often.

I've played games against no mark teams that have finished the game with 60%+ possession, albeit friendly games, but my teams never adhere to the instructions provided.

It seems that you either have all the game, and score next to no goals as you watch your forwards turn into Rob Jones when they get within sight of the penalty box and the opposition forwards all become Gerd Muller.

Or, you have next to nothing of the ball, usually against lesser opposition who are magically able to pop the ball around as if they were Barcelona or Bayern Munich.

I've seen ball winning midfielders with tackle harder instructions completely stop tracking runners.

Deep lying playmakers with the defend duty on & shoot less often instruction, hitting shots from 25+ yards that are more of a threat to the corner flags than they'll ever be to the frame of the goal.

If you do manage to get a little consistent run going, then you can bet your bottom dollar that the old injury bug will come along and shit all over you from a great height. Always come in bunches. Not always bad injuries, but enough to disrupt your flow. In form goalscorers always seem to pick up knocks after a run of games on the scoresheet.

I will keep plugging away at this, as I don't yet know if it's a first season thing where the AI is very much 'overpowered', or if this will continue through the course of successive seasons.

Got round to putting a few hours into this. Started games with Aberdeen, Coventry & Liverpool. Seems like it has gone backwards, or at best it has stood still.

If you have an older version, try and update the database if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend buying this unless you're an uber fanboy, (like I have been in the past), or if you can manage to pick it up at a bargain price.

They need to sort out the tactics, the player roles are far too restrictive.

As for the team settings, they don't seem to have any impact whatsoever - you'll often find your retain possession and pass it shorter instructions are completely ignored. The same is true for shoot less often.

I've played games against no mark teams that have finished the game with 60%+ possession, albeit friendly games, but my teams never adhere to the instructions provided.

It seems that you either have all the game, and score next to no goals as you watch your forwards turn into Rob Jones when they get within sight of the penalty box and the opposition forwards all become Gerd Muller.

Or, you have next to nothing of the ball, usually against lesser opposition who are magically able to pop the ball around as if they were Barcelona or Bayern Munich.

I've seen ball winning midfielders with tackle harder instructions completely stop tracking runners.

Deep lying playmakers with the defend duty on & shoot less often instruction, hitting shots from 25+ yards that are more of a threat to the corner flags than they'll ever be to the frame of the goal.

If you do manage to get a little consistent run going, then you can bet your bottom dollar that the old injury bug will come along and shit all over you from a great height. Always come in bunches. Not always bad injuries, but enough to disrupt your flow. In form goalscorers always seem to pick up knocks after a run of games on the scoresheet.

I will keep plugging away at this, as I don't yet know if it's a first season thing where the AI is very much 'overpowered', or if this will continue through the course of successive seasons.

Agree with you completely. To understand the eccentricities of the match engine, and specifically why team and player shouts don't work 100% of the time, I strongly recommend reading the "Lines and Diamonds" free pdf (you can Google it). The game became a lot clearer to me after that. SI do a terrible job of explaining how to play the game.

I think one of the biggest things that damaged the tactics and the match engine was SI starting to pay attention to the people who game out with that first Tactics Theorum pdf 3 or 4 years ago which was total bullshit but seems to have led SI down a shitty path.

Stuff like the fact the Poacher instructions are nowhere near what a traditional Poacher would be and the way they stripped a huge amount of the tactical freedom you had out of the game.

• 4 months later...

i bought this the other week, finished 3rd in my first season as Liverpool. Man Utd were nearly relegated as well, so i cant complain about the entertainment factor. First one i've had since 2011 so it was very different.

Did have to completely change my tactics from previous games as well. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37692481

Brexit simulated in new Football Manager game

By Chris Baraniuk
Technology reporter
18 October 2016

A range of "Brexit scenarios" will face players of the Football Manager 2017 game when it is released next month.

Gamers will have to manage the transfer of virtual football players in "soft" and "hard" versions of Brexit - affecting whether they are able to move freely between the UK and the EU.

However, in a further scenario, work permits may be made available under special conditions.

Managers will receive an alert informing them of new circumstances.

The decision to include the feature was made immediately after the UK's vote on EU membership in June, according to Miles Jacobson, the game's director at UK games firm Sports Interactive.

"I started working on the feature on the Saturday morning after the vote," he told the BBC. "I was trying to work out how it would affect my business and the sport that I love."

"I sat on the sofa for two days reading as much as I could from the pro- and anti-Brexit camps."

Mr Jacobson added that he went into the office the following Monday and told his team, despite the game's features having already been finalised, that he wanted to include the Brexit scenarios in the finished title.

"The fact that this is going to happen in the next few years means that it really has to be in the game," he explained.

Difficulty: Hard Brexit

But he also said that in recent months, the team has tweaked the possibility of some scenarios happening over others.

"When we were working on it, the idea of a hard Brexit had a lower chance of happening than is now the case - we changed that with the Tory conference," said Mr Jacobson.

The Telegraph reported that a hard Brexit option would have the "biggest effect" on gameplay.

By means of an example, Mr Jacobson said that in a test game played last night, the UK left the EU and Scotland voted to become an independent country.

In his game, the regulations over work permits were relaxed slightly but were applied to EU nationals.

Game changers

"Many games these days are complex enough to require companies to employ in-house economists, but rarely do they pivot such activity around real-world political issues," said Steve Bailey, a games analyst at market research firm IHS Technology.

"And so, it'll be interesting to see just how players respond to these scenarios, and what ongoing consequences they'll bring for how the game is played."

Mr Jacobson says he thinks, whatever the outcome of Brexit negotiations in the real world, there will definitely be "ramifications" for the football business.

In January, Tory peer Karren Brady voiced fears that Brexit could lead to some EU players in the UK having to leave.

However, former Football Association chairman Greg Dyke said in June that, while it was too early to know exactly how it will affect football in England, there was a possibility it could have a positive effect for English players looking for a chance to play in the Premier League.

Football Manager 2017 will be released on 4 November on PC, Mac and Linux with a mobile version for iOS and Android devices following on 17 November.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to have a look at it yesterday.

First impressions (last one I played was 2012):

+

really like the interface, modern looking and intuitive

seems to take you by the hand more than before, but in a good way 

training completely revamped, no need to setup tons of sliders/download training plans

seems to be much harder to get hold of really good players/unrealistic free agents

daily progression much quicker

+-

loads of more staff types and interaction with press etc

match engine in 3D

seems generally harder

main complain seems to be that nothing changed from FM16, I wouldn't know

-

preferences menu has some options missing that were in 12

bugs (took ages to get my downloaded portraits to show)

team instruction and player instruction missing/completely different, I liked the old way, matter of time I guess

Finally had time to have a look at it yesterday.

First impressions (last one I played was 2012):

+

really like the interface, modern looking and intuitive

seems to take you by the hand more than before, but in a good way 

training completely revamped, no need to setup tons of sliders/download training plans

seems to be much harder to get hold of really good players/unrealistic free agents

daily progression much quicker

+-

loads of more staff types and interaction with press etc

match engine in 3D

seems generally harder

main complain seems to be that nothing changed from FM16, I wouldn't know

-

preferences menu has some options missing that were in 12

bugs (took ages to get my downloaded portraits to show)

team instruction and player instruction missing/completely different, I liked the old way, matter of time I guess

Or FM15, or FM14 etc. 

Or FM15, or FM14 etc. 

FM15 is the best version since FM12. They hadn't quite ballsed up the tactics area entirely in 15 as they did in 16. It was/is a very playable game. I've got a cracking Werder Bremen game on 15.

I'm assuming that 17's tactics area is much like 16's and will therefore be a bag of shite like 16 was/is...

CDKeys have got 17 down at £26.99 currently, so with the additional 5% discount code from their Facebook page, you can pick the game up for £25.65.

16 fucked up the tactics big time, you'd set your team up to play high intensity and they'd be wandering round doing fuck all, then I read an article called Can't win to Champions and it sort of made a bit more sense, after that the game became more playable and I actually managed to win leagues and Champion Leagues but this one seems to be the same as 16 was at the beginning it's solid. After 8 league games with Liverpool and going exactly what I did, same formation, roles, training, everything that I did on 16 and dominated the game I'm bottom of the league with a -13 goal difference.

• 3 months later...