You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can we help get back the Anfield atmosphere?

Mil-ing Around

People pay their money, they can do as they like.

I used to sing when I was a match-goer, but I doubt I would sing for the cunts who pay for us nowadays. The more modern songs are mostly shit and now that I'm in my late 30's, I'd feel a twat singing about football supporters kicking fuck out of other football supporters.

There's various reasons why the atmosphere is rubbish. We're relatively shit. Prices. We have very few, if any, star players. Older Kop Season Ticket holders, who pre-all seater stadiums, would've relocated to the Main Stand now stay on The Kop. There's noticeably less kids in their teens/early 20's and a generation of Scousers haven't grown up going to games. One-upmanship - some people aren't interest in a united Kop, as they'd rather try and outdo one another with the more obscure songs. People can't sit with their mates.

Good points Tony.

my previous vantage point was behind the goal not far up (my first seat allocation).

atmosphere was alot better there. when I was struggling to get a Cup final ticket vs. the Mancs- locals were helping me get one, ringing me at my student digs etc. great lads there.

my newsagent got me one in the end. even though I did manage to get one through my book which I passed on for face.

worst thing I ever did was move my seat to the left hand side of the Kop to sit next to a relation of an ex-girlfriend who I had been going with to games for years. we fell out- I won't bore you with the very long details.

but it was like a fucking morgue up there by comparison. don't know what it's all like now in different areas but it was a chore sometimes sitting in that sterile environment.

You're missing my point.

If people are on minimum wage or even the 'living wage,' they wont be able to afford 20 odd quid for a ticket. In other words, 20 odd quid is as much out of reach as a 40 odd quid ticket.

As Ive said before, there's upwards of 28000 STH in the ground every home game. Even if the 8000 match day tickets all went to singing fans (which they wont all sing), its not going to make much of a difference.

And if the club made a lot of cheap tickets available, how do you make sure these tickets get to fans who'll make a difference to the atmosphere?

Back to my point that lots of reasons contribute. If we have a 80k ground say and we can have lots of affordable tickets, they stay in the hands of those who go, based on loyalty. I'm not against day trippers, but I also want lads going who used to be able to afford to and are priced out. I want kids in there too and lower the average age. What I don't want is loads of day trippers and loads of other lads who just go because they're scared they can never get back in.

I do get the point you are trying to make. And I'm not saying there's a good answer (i think we need more seats and not the ones we are putting in the new main stand) , but for certain taking out lads who give a fuck and replacing them with someone taking snaps, it can't help but improve things.

Considering the popularity of the Balotelli song last season I assume the fans can make up and sing a song for anyone regardless of effort or talent.  

Exactly.

I've never heard the Joe Allen "Jammin" one, but I like the idea and I'd sing it.

Similarly, Usher suggested singing Lallana's name to the tune of "Can't Get You Out of My Head".  That's just perfect; simple, everyone knows the tune and no other fuckers sing it.

I've mentioned before that, prior to the semi-final against Villa, there was a big crowd in a pub at Wembley getting the place bouncing to an Emre Can song to the tune of "The Music Man".

It can be done.  But griping is much easier, so let's all sit down and shut up.

Shit clubs manage alright. Fuck, I've even sung Mario Fantastico, despite knowing from the start that he was a complete waste of a shirt.

Still, it does feel difficult at times to raise a tune. I think James were right when they said "if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor. "

Oh sit down.

• Upvote 2

I'd have to say that the atmosphere will only be the way it was pretty much every week during our heyday will be a visitor every now and then. With prices already averaging around the £50 mark the types of supporters that went back in the 70s/80s,a few of us on here as younger teenagers, will only exist in small numbers and probably not enough to bring through more generations of local matchgoers.

The football that was familiar to those of us over the last 3 or 4 decades is dead and probably exists more in lower league football than the higher echelons of the game.

It is still a big part of life in other European countries where the fans are regarded as significant to a degree,Germany and Italy spring to mind,but the PL is a cash eating behemoth beyond the control of anybody outside the game.

It's very easy for me to say as the link was broken pretty much when I left in 2003, but by continuing to buy tickets, you're just allowing the club to fuck you over and it'll never stop. Being outside of it all, I came to realise that It was never really the actual game - the ninety minutes - I loved so much as the meeting up with my mates and the drinks and laughs around the game. I've been a few games when I get back home, but last time I was offered tickets I came to the conclusion I'd rather watch it in the pub with my mates instead of being in a ground with strangers. It couldn't be clearer that the owners don't give a fuck about supporters who have been the lifeblood of the club.  They're taking the piss massively and there is absolutely no need given the huge amounts of TV and sponsorship monetary increases.

• Upvote 6

In a press release, the club today stressed:64% of season ticket prices will decrease or freeze45% of match day tickets will see a price decreaseLocal fans will be given priority access to over 20,000 tickets across the Premier League season, with prices starting from as little as £9.More than 20,000 extra tickets will be allocated across the Premier League season, in a new pricing category, for fans aged between 17 and 21More than 1,000 free tickets across the Premier League season will be allocated to local kids through a new Young Fan Initiative schemeThere has been 13 months of consultation with the ticket working group, listening to what the priorities were for match-going fans.