You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can we help get back the Anfield atmosphere?

Mil-ing Around

but this is the point isn't it. it's easy to support when you're winning. what about in times of adversity when the team needs the help of the fans?

Personally I'd always join in with the singing, when it's there. But, for the majority who don't I think they have just been ground down by the previous season's results and style of play. When you know the manger didn't give two tuppence about cup games and Europe why should the fans?

Now, thankfully, we have a manager who does and hopefully we'll see a change in the stands as well.

Personally I'd always join in with the singing, when it's there. But, for the majority who don't I think they have just been ground down by the previous season's results and style of play. When you know the manger didn't give two tuppence about cup games and Europe why should the fans?

Now, thankfully, we have a manager who does and hopefully we'll see a change in the stands as well.

we've had atmosphere problems for more than the last manager, although i think it is worse now. and i guess the reason you should give a shit, is the club will be there long after whoever is manager or players on the pitch have left.  i support liverpool, not the players or manager. i am not saying it is easy to raise the atmosphere when you are pissed off - but then anfield has hardly been bouncing since klopps arrival. 

• Upvote 3

but this is the point isn't it. it's easy to support when you're winning. what about in times of adversity when the team needs the help of the fans? 

Baz, I'm afraid that might be a losing battle these days.

You can fully expect Anfield to be swinging by, say, next March... when I have a feeling we could be doing something special under this new manager already by then.

Fair weather is the way of the jester hat.

Even Tony might be moaning the tune of a certain Galway folk standard under his breath by then, God bless him.

Might have been said already but the atmosphere started to dry once dossier man started to shit on home European night, which went from the stuff of legend to tedious church social once he implanted his soul crushing football.

A rock solid 6-0 upper colonic adminsitered to Bordeaux would help.

Might have been said already but the atmosphere started to dry once dossier man started to shit on home European night, which went from the stuff of legend to tedious church social once he implanted his soul crushing football.

A rock solid 6-0 upper colonic adminsitered to Bordeaux would help.

70s and 80s atmosphere largely amazing and probably the benchmark for the future.

90s largely shite? We werent winning anything. Football was good for a bit under evans. Fowler, Macca Owen to excite the crowd.

Early 2000s atmosphere starts to rock as big European nights return to anfield under houllier. Poor football is offset by success. Once the success dries up the shite football and poor results kill atmosphere.

The greatest european nights return with rafa on the roads to Istanbul and athens. Premier league games never quite reach the same level probably because we never really look like winning that competition.

Hodgson brought in to replace rafa. Nobody wants him. Atmosphere is sour.

Kenny returns atmosphere is back for a bit then disappears when its clear the king cant deliver.

rodgers comes in. Football is good and gets better with arrival of sturridge and coutinho alongside suarez. A year later the place is absolutely rocking when we go on 11 game winning run and look like finally winning the league.

suarez goes and so does the football and eventually rodgers goes too.

klopp comes in and unites the fans. Away form is excellent. Anfield yet to see the heavy metal football that will get everyone headbanging.

So that's the case with all these shit teams lower down the league, who enjoy support that pisses all over ours?

palace was shite the other night against sunderland.

its a bit of a myth these smaller teams having rocking atmospheres every week win lose or draw.

a bit like ourselves when its not going well they ll always get up for united chelsea city or derbies.

palace was shite the other night against sunderland.

its a bit of a myth these smaller teams having rocking atmospheres every week win lose or draw.

a bit like ourselves when its not going well they ll always get up for united chelsea city or derbies.

No they don't all have rocking atmospheres every week but many (if not all) have, on average, much better atmospheres than ours. You can pluck out random matches that aren't great, of course. The point is that it's a far, far bigger myth that a certain standard of football is required to get a football fan to sing a song. You've got a bog standard team like Stoke, who have a crowd that supports them and probably helps win them several points every season. It wouldn't even surprise me if playing at Anfield is a negative mentally for our players, because the actual lack of atmosphere will be obvious to them. 

No they don't all have rocking atmospheres every week but many (if not all) have, on average, much better atmospheres than ours. You can pluck out random matches that aren't great, of course. The point is that it's a far, far bigger myth that a certain standard of football is required to get a football fan to sing a song. You've got a bog standard team like Stoke, who have a crowd that supports them and probably helps win them several points every season. It wouldn't even surprise me if playing at Anfield is a negative mentally for our players, because the actual lack of atmosphere will be obvious to them.

stoke are happy just being in premier league whilst we expect a certain standard of football and success. When we have either or both anfield is a noisy place when we dont it's a quiet place and at times unpleasant when managers or owners arent doing what they should.