You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) 08/11/15

Megadrive Man

As admirable as it is that Sakho wanted to run off what could be a serious knee injury, he may well have done himself more damage. Our medical staff need to be more assertive in situations like that.

Wasn't there a similar situation with Lucas a few years back ?

Sakho's injury was the most disappointing aspect of yesterday's game for me, we always struggle against Palace and it was always going to be a tough game, but now we could be without Sakho for a while, just when he was cementing himself in the side.

We played reasonably well but were sloppy in both penalty areas and that ultimately turned the game. One thing that is really starting to grind my gears is the cowardice of some of our squad. 

Moreno is some man for wincing out of tackles and constantly turns away when attempting to block crosses to avoid a slap in the face with the ball - that yellow streak doesn't just run through his hair. Lovren is also about as imposing as a toddler and is constantly getting muscled off the ball by fellas a fraction of his size. Lallana gets pushed around very easily too but at least the guys doing it are always twice his weight and you kind of expect it from him as he looks like he spends the rest of his week playing student bars in an average Mumford & Sons cover band. Firmino may not actually be one of the lesbians from Orange is the New Black but sure appears to tackle like one. Finally, Mignolet is in danger of slipping below Brussels Sprouts as the most unpopular Belgian export unless he acts a bit more assertive on crosses and kicks. 

If a few more of them approached proceedings like Sakho, Lucas and Clyne we would not be getting rolled over by mid-table grafters half as often. 

• Upvote 5

Atmosphere at all English grounds is wank and has been for a very long time.  Boozefree expensive all seated, it's not changing any time soon.

There is no excuse for leaving early. No excuse.

United have recently won titles by equalising or winning games at the 90th minute and our fans are turning their noses and leave after 82 minutes, while the team is trying to get a goal back or is pressing for a winner. I mentioned the early leavers a few games back on a home draw.

We can't speak about bigger/expanded stadium, getting better players, this and that when fans can't be bothered to stay and support the team until the final whistle.

• Upvote 3

Possesion 64%:36%

Shots-On Goal 22-4:9-4

With statistics like that you've got to win the game. By a goal at least.. Once again, if we scored 2,3 goals the game would be sealed but we went for it and the defensive error with current set up is just in the air..

Games like this will keep happening until we sign a decent striker.  Sturridge or a striker of his quality and we win the last two games comfortably.  With Benteke we sneaked one 1-0 and lost the next, despite dominating both games.

United have recently won titles by equalising or winning games at the 90th minute and our fans are turning their noses and leave after 82 minutes, while the team is trying to get a goal back or is pressing for a winner. I mentioned the early leavers a few games back on a home draw.

We can't speak about bigger/expanded stadium, getting better players, this and that when fans can't be bothered to stay and support the team until the final whistle.

Maybe they were soaking wet and wanted to prevent catching a cold?

Either way, you're right. You wouldn't go to the cinema and walk out 10 mins before the end.

I remember at Villa Park in 1990, sitting on the terrace with my head in my hands, I was told to move along by a policeman 25 mins after the game.

Early or late, we can't seem to fucking take a trick against Palace.

That semi final led me to behave in probably the worst way i have ever behaved at footy....i was ashamed of it then and looking back i am still now.

As we filed out we crossed by a palace fan being pushed in a wheelchair who shouted in our direction "haha we are going to wembley, you're not" to which i replied "i can fucking walk, you can't"

I was 18 and hot headed - was wrong of me and i was ashamed of myself after.

I'm not too deflated by the defeat. More concerned with yet another injury to add to the list. Sakho had been playing well and his absence means a return for Lovren, which is a scary prospect. Henderson and Sturridge can't return soon enough, and hopefully Milner and Sakho aren't out for long.

That semi final led me to behave in probably the worst way i have ever behaved at footy....i was ashamed of it then and looking back i am still now.

As we filed out we crossed by a palace fan being pushed in a wheelchair who shouted in our direction "haha we are going to wembley, you're not" to which i replied "i can fucking walk, you can't"

Didn't know Sturridge supported Palace.

• Upvote 7

He asked for it tbh.

Too many middle class middle aged women with fuck all idea about football gazing into space taking the seats of fans who would love to support their team properly.

They need a fancam and when they are spotted leaving early or knitting, have their season tickets ripped from their fucking handbags.

• Upvote 1

Henderson back in the team with a proper striker in January is the short term answer.

Until then we'll get the occasional good away result but frequent slips like today.

Absence makes the heart fonder, henman is a poor player can't tackle head shoot cross hold a position or influence a game. I'm not even sure he would make the bitters team. He should be the first we let go and if we are expecting any better from us with him in the team then a lot of people still need to take off their rose coloured spectacles he's shit and wouldn't have changed this game.

As admirable as it is that Sakho wanted to run off what could be a serious knee injury, he may well have done himself more damage. Our medical staff need to be more assertive in situations like that.

Have you read the Daniel Sturridge thread? Our fans are meatheads and encourage that type of behaviour.

Absence makes the heart fonder, henman is a poor player can't tackle head shoot cross hold a position or influence a game. I'm not even sure he would make the bitters team. He should be the first we let go and if we are expe

cting any better from us with him in the team then a lot of people still need to take off their rose coloured spectacles he's shit and wouldn't have changed this game.

He can't cross or influence a game? Are you joking Henderson is one of the top assisting players in the league in the last 3 years and his link play with the frontman is very impressive . He has an eye for goal 7 last year in an impressive tally and he has it in him to get that into double figures. He also works his bollix off which klopp will love.

Have to agree with you. Too many years of underachieving has seen too many fans grow acustomer to fucking off early to get a seat on the bus or get out of the car park before everyone else.

They called for a new manager, not just any manager but a manager who had won 'something' and could attract big name players because of his standing in the game.

So the club finally gets them what they want.

And after just 3 home games, the fucking moaners are back into their routine of fucking off early.

Maybe we are where we are right now because that's what we deserve?

Its easy to stay in the ground when you're sticking 4 or 5 goals past real madrid, everton and arsenal, innit?

• Upvote 1

Have to agree with you. Too many years of underachieving has seen too many fans grow acustomer to fucking off early to get a seat on the bus or get out of the car park before everyone else.

They called for a new manager, not just any manager but a manager who had won 'something' and could attract big name players because of his standing in the game.

So the club finally gets them what they want.

And after just 3 home games, the fucking moaners are back into their routine of fucking off early.

Maybe we are where we are right now because that's what we deserve?

Its easy to stay in the ground when you're sticking 4 or 5 goals past real madrid, everton and arsenal, innit?

Its boiled fish for tea too..

If I'm in a cinema, and an hour into some boring shitfest (unlikely as I'm very well informed), then I'm not going to stay until the credits roll, am I. The chances of it becoming Citizen Kane during the last reel are pretty slim. Why this principle should not also be applied to sports entertainment is something that requires an explanation beyond simple exhortation.

If I'm in a cinema, and an hour into some boring shitfest (unlikely as I'm very well informed), then I'm not going to stay until the credits roll, am I. The chances of it becoming Citizen Kane during the last reel are pretty slim. Why this principle should not also be applied to sports entertainment is something that requires an explanation beyond simple exhortation.

Thank you Barry Norman.  The explanation is that football has never been about a passive audience experience.  Whether you're talking about park football, or football as we are used to seeing it.  It's interactive.  Energy - of various types - flows in both directions.  The players can feed off the fans - can be motivated, energised, given belief, supported by the audience.

The situation you're describing is more akin to one that the telly clapper is restricted to.  Perhaps you can find it in yourself to pop along to a game at some point in the future.  

• Upvote 4