You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard to return?

Nelly-Szoboszlai

Eh I've caught the odd Galaxy game. I find the MLS to be a mostly lackluster league though so I don't really follow it that much but they are the home team here. It's definitely gotten better with the influx of retiring europeans but it's still not worth investing 90 minutes of my time in more often than not for me.

My point was that, if he comes back it's only ever going to be in a role that Klopp is willing to have him. Say what you will about FSG but I don't think they're going to be trying to force their man Klopp, who's got us playing so well after his first summer in charge (as well as picking up after his bedding in period when he took over) to add a player or a coach he doesn't want, nevermind how much money or marketing potential it might bring with it. Ultimately success is what brings in the most money and the owners know that.

Fuck sake. This is like getting with a brand new bird who you adore but your ex who you still love coming back on the scene and saying she wants you back. I'd love him back playing for us again just for 6 months but does the momentum of what we have need disrupting???? I'm torn. That said, I'd have Xabi and Mascherano back in a flash. Nostalgia is a cunt. As had been said, Whatever Klopp decides is all that matters to me.

Not as a player for me. Something new is building here, and it must be allowed to grow without reaching back to the past, which is what it would look like to me if Stevie came and played now.

If he came and was part of the coaching set up under Klopp, fantastic. Though ultimately he might find himself in the sort of position of Ryan Giggs at Man Utd, who got close to the hot seat, but when push came to shove, no matter how good he was as a player he hadn't done it as a manager so was not given the top job. Mind you, that's them and it doesn't need to be what happens here.

Ideally Klopp will be here for a long time, but if Stevie ended up taking over I'd be fine with that. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

If he comes back, great. But not as a player. Not now. Let a new thing emerge, as it must.

• Upvote 3

Who didn't wank for joy when we resigned Fowler? Genuine question.

Completely different circumstances

We needed someone to take chances and had little money to spend. It was a 6 month gamble. Fowler was a squad olaysr and knew it,he wasn't a big personality likely to loom over some younger players. The likes of Hendo,Milner and Lallana have cone in leaps and bounds and are the senior pros and signing Gerrard could fuck that up

If we are playing well and he comes back and we have a bad patch he is taking the blame from many. I dint want to see that and i dont want to see him a shadow of what he was and he was looking like that the last year ir two fir us.

If Klopp wants it fine,but im unsure on it

• Upvote 1

I don't have any worries about him being a distraction or looming over other players or whatever. It's whether he could make a positive contribution to the team, and his legs have so far gone that I don't think he would.

Klopp let Joe Allen go because he didn't think he had the pace and energy he wants in midfield. Gerrard couldn't keep up with the pace these days.

I'd love him at the club in some capacity though.

I love Gerrard and all, but he was struggling with the pace of our game come the end, it's much quicker now. I'd hate for him to come back only for it to go tits up. I'm not sure giving him ten minutes here and there is wise either, we have better players struggling for game time.

He's a legend, but it's over, at least the playing side of things. If Klopp is happy to give him some sort of backroom job, fair enough.

Why the fuck do have to keep living in the past?

Gerard's old and well past it , this team now is fresh and vibrant and challenging at the the top.

All that matters is the progress and development of the players we have now,

Liverpool FC isn't here to pander to Steven Gerard's whims regardless of his well earned Legend status.

The future is now, Gerrard is the past.

He'll be back in a coaching capacity surely. I'll be fucking fuming if he comes back into the squad. I love Stevie but we can't bring him back as a player. He would totally fuck the side up. Or is KLOPP thinking someone to steady the ship type of player to come in during games like yesterday when we need to close out. I just think he's too big of a character and legend to bring back in without upsetting the rest of the squad's egos and energy.

I love Gerrard and all, but he was struggling with the pace of our game come the end, it's much quicker now. I'd hate for him to come back only for it to go tits up. I'm not sure giving him ten minutes here and there is wise either, we have better players struggling for game time.

He's a legend, but it's over, at least the playing side of things. If Klopp is happy to give him some sort of backroom job, fair enough.

Pretty much agree on all this.

I don't know why everyone is getting ahead of themselves, where in that interview did he say he was coming back as a player?

Didn't Klopp say last January that Gerrard is always welcome back at Liverpool but it wouldn't be in a playing capacity?

And to be honest I don't think Gerrard would want to come back as in a playing capacity, he probably want's out of Galaxy as there are very average players in that league who are probably running away from him who wouldn't have lived with him even 2-3 years ago. 

I don't know why everyone is getting ahead of themselves, where in that interview did he say he was coming back as a player?

Didn't Klopp say last January that Gerrard is always welcome back at Liverpool but it wouldn't be in a playing capacity?

And to be honest I don't think Gerrard would want to come back as in a playing capacity, he probably want's out of Galaxy as there are very average players in that league who are probably running away from him who wouldn't have lived with him even 2-3 years ago.

Sounds like you're right Stickman.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-liverpool-captain-steven-gerrards-12065533