You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard to return?

Nelly-Szoboszlai

That MK Dons thing (assuming it's true, and there doesn't seem to be any denial on Gerrard's side that he's interested) is just confirmation that I wouldn't want Stevie anywhere near the manager's job at Liverpool, now or in the future.

I mean, obviously now because Klopp, but even in the future, I just think he won't be a good manager.  At all.  And if he had a lick of sense about it he'd never try starting out as manager right off the bat, especially at a club in crisis.

At least with Gary Neville you can tell he's very intelligent and has studied the game intensely, and still it didn't work out for him at Valencia.  With Gerrard he's easily the best player for Liverpool since I started watching, but he doesn't come across as having managerial skills at all.  Like Carra, he seems to have a huge bias for/towards anyone English when he speaks about our young players on occasion, and even more so towards any scousers.  Which is fair enough, but it would give me great hesitation that he would continue that if he were manager.

More to the point, I'm not sure he's got the top-level tactical insight and ability to communicate it that a manager needs to be successful.  Not at all saying he's a tactical dummy; clearly to be a player at his level he had to have a good understanding, but I don't think it would be at the exceptional level he's going to have to have if he wants to compete as a manager with the likes of Conte, Guardiola, Wenger, etc.

Hope he comes back as ambassador, or works with the academy, or something like that.  Maybe a failing stint as MK Dons manager would convince him that management wasn't for him, and it would kind of be a stick in Giggs' eye that Gerrard got a job first, which would be amusing.  Then he can come back and go into broadcasting or take a minor figurehead role for the club when he's done.

He can't be stupid enough to go there. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and would like nothing more than him being ultra successful as a manager and winning the league with us one day but right now he has zero coaching or management experience, especially at lower leagues he's been at one of the biggest clubs in the world for 20+ years of his life and two in America where they don't do things by halves, they'll probably get relegated with or without him the way they are at the moment, why would anyone want their first managers job to end in relegation. Karl Robinson seems like a decent enough manager for that level and a decent guy and he failed, probably through lack of experience himself so why would a complete novice think he could do a job. I agree that it would be hilarious if he got a managers role before Giggs though. Giggs however seems to have an ego that big that he thinks he deserves a elite level job.

Footballs changed that much these days that management is a total different ball game from the playing side. You've got managers like Klopp, Mourinho, AVB, Wenger, Eddie Howe, Benitez and many more who haven't played the game professionally never mind to a level that Gerrard has. Just out of interest how many world class players have turned into world class managers? And in today's game are there any top managers out there who were world class?

Luis Enrique you mean, Joses probably a great player on Fifa and that's about it! Ohh yea completely forgot that Zidane was Reals manager. I don't think he does much tactically there though, I think the players, notably Ronaldo, Ramos and Pepe and formerly Casillas run Real.

Someone's told him that MK is the English LA. 

Maybe we're all underestimating Gerrard, but I don't think it would be a good move for him.  If it goes tits up and he gets his wings clipped a little, perhaps the dampening down of his tumescent ego will be good for him in the long term.  And if it goes splendidly, well he is our Steven Gerrard.  

• Upvote 1

Has he managed any team before?

Youth team at Galaxy?

Just find the idea of going straight from player to manager, with all the pressures involved on the latter role now, to be completely mad. 

Surely becoming a coach, then assistant, then manager makes it far less likely you'll make a complete idiot of yourself.

• Upvote 1

I think he'll do well at MK Dons if he joins them. The outside perception of him as a manager is like Neil Warnock or something. Old school, getting stuck in, 4-4-2, English players etc... but i don't think that's fair at all.

He's well versed in pressing and counter pressing from his time with Rodgers. He knows all about set piece positioning, man marking and zonal marking from the likes of Houllier and Benitez. He's one of the most tactically and positionally flexible players England has ever produced. He's been able to adapt successfully to a multitude of different formations and roles.

You don't get to that level without being very knowledgable of the game. We praise players from other countries like Pirlo, Mascherano and Lahm for doing the same thing and have this perception that they'd make great managers one day, well why not Gerrard?

• Upvote 1

Has he managed any team before?

Youth team at Galaxy?

Just find the idea of going straight from player to manager, with all the pressures involved on the latter role now, to be completely mad. 

Surely becoming a coach, then assistant, then manager makes it far less likely you'll make a complete idiot of yourself.

plus you need to assemble good people you can trust around you when you get there, which would be established doing the grunt work on the way up if totally committed to doing it right. i think this is just as important these days.

this is where the respect lies now. a team of proper people players can buy into and not merely sycophants. being the figurehead of a serious set-up means they'll listen because they can see it's professional, established through ability and merit based. just being the name on top of a thrown together pyramid isn't enough.

i'm sure Klopp and his methods are going to be his blueprint for future success

Luis Enrique you mean, Joses probably a great player on Fifa and that's about it! Ohh yea completely forgot that Zidane was Reals manager. I don't think he does much tactically there though, I think the players, notably Ronaldo, Ramos and Pepe and formerly Casillas run Real.

Can't believe I did that.

Also can't believe I missed out Kenny Dalglish.