You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Yeah, I did too. Full of knee jerk, self entitled tossers now. When did this place become so fickle? 3 weeks ago we were brilliant, now we're absolutely shit and Klopp is a fraud. Unbelievable.

Hard to disagree. Your tactics can be the best around but if you don't score goals and miss golden chances then that has to be on the players who do that.

I think stacks has got a point. We do play the same way all the time. Last night was a carbon copy of most games we've played this season. The first half we look quite good cutting open teams but struggling to put the chances away. We come out for the second half expecting the team to carry on in the same manner and we will score eventually. It isn't happening though because the opposition get settled and get used to playing against the system we use.

They had loads of men behind the ball in the first half but couldn't cope with us. For the majority of the second half they could because of the tactics and positions they took up. When I seen Sturridge come on for Mane I thought for once we might actually be going two up top here but no that wasn't the case. It was Firmino wide again where he's largely useless. The fact he'd had a terrible game should have had an impact on whether he stayed on the pitch and it didn't.

I used to get pissed off with Rafa and his pre-prepared substitutions. I'd like to see Klopp be a bit more reactive to what's going on in the game. It does feel like you can see a player having a bad game or something tactically stick out like a sore thumb and it's just left there because it's not part of the plan we've put together.

I think stacks has got a point. We do play the same way all the time. Last night was a carbon copy of most games we've played this season. The first half we look quite good cutting open teams but struggling to put the chances away. We come out for the second half expecting the team to carry on in the same manner and we will score eventually. It isn't happening though because the opposition get settled and get used to playing against the system we use.

They had loads of men behind the ball in the first half but couldn't cope with us. For the majority of the second half they could because of the tactics and positions they took up. When I seen Sturridge come on for Mane I thought for once we might actually be going two up top here but no that wasn't the case. It was Firmino wide again where he's largely useless. The fact he'd had a terrible game should have had an impact on whether he stayed on the pitch and it didn't.

I used to get pissed off with Rafa and his pre-prepared substitutions. I'd like to see Klopp be a bit more reactive to what's going on in the game. It does feel like you can see a player having a bad game or something tactically stick out like a sore thumb and it's just left there because it's not part of the plan we've put together.

Agree with this,in the main too but lets remember how handicapped we've become in the transfer market versus our rivals. We seem to be judging ourselves versus what Chelsea,Utd or City can do with subs or players but we simply aren't able to do so in the same way. I am guessing Klopp thinks staying in the same shape helps the players,maybe it does? But its clear that it turns Firmino useless and leaves us with far fewer options. Personally I think it was a mistake to ship out Origi if we werent buying another striker. We also seem to have to start our best eleven all the time leaving us with nothing on the bench,this is a big problem.

'I'd like to see Klopp be a bit more reactive to what's going on in the game'

He's been here 2 years now and hasn't done it once. Once the games underway I don't think he's got it in his armoury to change the tide when it starts going against us.

When Conte took over at Chelsea, he bowed down to their players saying they wanted to play 4-4-2 instead of his favoured 3 at the back. We beat them, the arse beat them and I'm sure they had a draw. He went back to his favoured tactics and pissed the league with the most wins in a season. That's what a real world class manager does.

'I'd like to see Klopp be a bit more reactive to what's going on in the game'

He's been here 2 years now and hasn't done it once. Once the games underway I don't think he's got it in his armoury to change the tide when it starts going against us.

When Conte took over at Chelsea, he bowed down to their players saying they wanted to play 4-4-2 instead of his favoured 3 at the back. We beat them, the arse beat them and I'm sure they had a draw. He went back to his favoured tactics and pissed the league with the most wins in a season. That's what a real world class manager does.

This is a contradictory post. Klopp is playing the way he wants and not how his players(maybe?) want to,based on your strange comparison.

Agree with this,in the main too but lets remember how handicapped we've become in the transfer market versus our rivals. We seem to be judging ourselves versus what Chelsea,Utd or City can do with subs or players but we simply aren't able to do so in the same way. I am guessing Klopp thinks staying in the same shape helps the players,maybe it does? But its clear that it turns Firmino useless and leaves us with far fewer options. Personally I think it was a mistake to ship out Origi if we werent buying another striker. We also seem to have to start our best eleven all the time leaving us with nothing on the bench,this is a big problem.

I don't judge us against those 3. I judge us against our insane transfer signings that don't make a bit of sense. Kenny's summer spree was maddening considering we looked like we had some momentum again and im sure any top club manager could have bought better players than Wijnaldum and Oxlade for the money we paid and not persisted with none entities like Henderson, Mignolet & Lovren as first team mainstays.

We're our own worst enemy, nothing to do with how much money our rivals spend.

This is a contradictory post. Klopp is playing the way he wants and not how his players(maybe?) want to,based on your strange comparison.

No it isn't. Conte saw early which way the wind was blowing and they pissed the league with tactics that stopped them getting easily beat and putting the thought in the oppositions head that they weren't gonna concede.

Whereas we play the same week after week despite everyone knowing we're wide open and give chances up without resistance

Klopp has been magnificent for this club with one exception - not realising the importance of a clinical striker. I don't blame him for not getting Van Dijk or investing in defenders when he's had fuck all to spend. The Oxlade-Chamberlain signing was 100% necessary as he can cover two positions and we struggled badly without Mané last season. If I had to choose between Van Dijk and a clinical striker, I'd choose the striker every day. We are creating so many chances, we barely give any way. Our team functions very well and deserves the goals it's setting up.

No it isn't. Conte saw early which way the wind was blowing and they pissed the league with tactics that stopped them getting easily beat and putting the thought in the oppositions head that they weren't gonna concede.

Whereas we play the same week after week despite everyone knowing we're wide open and give chances up without resistance

You've said you arent comparing us to our rivals then compare us to Chelsea and their billions of pounds assembled squad of players. Not sure of your actual point to be honest.

To say he hasn't done it once is a bit hysterical. In his first season it always felt like we came out in the second half like an improved side. This just seems to have stopped happening. His plan A by and large last season was ripping teams to shreds so there wasn't a lot of need. We did have a few ruts but I would have put that down to individual players missing.

I don't think I'm comparing us to what Chelsea, city etc can do. I'm not expecting us to steam roll teams 5-0 with two separate 11's. We definitely do have the personnel to go two up front though especially with the workrate you get from Mane and Salah and from Henderson and Wijnaldum in the middle.

When sides go as negative as them last night our tactical set up just doesn't help in my opinion. I'm exaggerating a bit here but we have one guy in the box with the width coming from the two full backs. Essentially we are leaving ourselves exposed without having the benefit of extra men/finishers in the box. It's why I think we keep getting sucker punched.

To exacerbate the problem our best finisher who was fucking shocking last night when he come on cannot play up front on his own. He's terrified of his own shadow when the ball goes in the air and he can't run in behind so he just gets crowded out every time he gets it.

You've said you arent comparing us to our rivals then compare us to Chelsea and their billions of pounds assembled squad of players. Not sure of your actual point to be honest.

I can see why you're struggling here. The threads about tactics and so was my post youve just replied to. My other post was about wasting money on expensive shite that we didn't need. I didn't say anything about us spending billions.

To say he hasn't done it once is a bit hysterical. In his first season it always felt like we came out in the second half like an improved side. This just seems to have stopped happening. His plan A by and large last season was ripping teams to shreds so there wasn't a lot of need. We did have a few ruts but I would have put that down to individual players missing.

I don't think I'm comparing us to what Chelsea, city etc can do. I'm not expecting us to steam roll teams 5-0 with two separate 11's. We definitely do have the personnel to go two up front though especially with the workrate you get from Mane and Salah and from Henderson and Wijnaldum in the middle.

When sides go as negative as them last night our tactical set up just doesn't help in my opinion. I'm exaggerating a bit here but we have one guy in the box with the width coming from the two full backs. Essentially we are leaving ourselves exposed without having the benefit of extra men/finishers in the box. It's why I think we keep getting sucker punched.

To exacerbate the problem our best finisher who was fucking shocking last night when he come on cannot play up front on his own. He's terrified of his own shadow when the ball goes in the air and he can't run in behind so he just gets crowded out every time he gets it.

Hysterical? He was even worse in his first season here. Do you not remember throwing away points at home to garbage like palace, Sunderland and Newcastle? And let's not forget the ultimate shitfest in Basle that we threw away. City away the other week was a sickening surrender. We lost a forward who wasn't having the best of games anyway, yet we played like we'd had our keeper, a centre half and a centre mid sent off.

I'm just not seeing anything from him tactics wise once the games underway at all

Watching our games I feel tired. Not sure if it’s klopps tactics but we sure do seem to expend a lot of energy for very little benefit. Watching team like Man City and Man Utd, they seem to be a lot more composed and in control.

This is it. We've got no composure at all. Starting with the manager. You watch us and we've got go style of play other than running around the pitch and we've just spunked another £40m on a new headless chicken

Watching our games I feel tired. Not sure if it’s klopps tactics but we sure do seem to expend a lot of energy for very little benefit. Watching team like Man City and Man Utd, they seem to be a lot more composed and in control.

They've much better footballers, nothing else too it.

• Upvote 2

This thread is embarrassing. If you can't read a little criticism of the manager's approach without throwing a tantrum and crying about how unfair it all is, you seriously need to be having a fucking word with yourself. Personal attacks on him are out of order, but for the most part nobody is doing that. So get a fucking grip.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't disagree about much that has been posted here. Still just comes down to a lack of quality defensively for me from the goalkeeper through the back four and midfield. Look at the anaemic amounts we've spent defensively under Klopp and you have your answer. Most of the issues are individual mistakes.

I'd start by buying a really top quality keeper. It's amazing how often a good keeper will bail out a successful side defensively.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

They've much better footballers, nothing else too it.

They have strength in depth and their overall starting 11 is stronger, not necessarily better in certain positions.