You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Injures to our forwards have meant that Klopp has been working with one hand tied behind his back so far, but for me the most noticeable aspect of our play is the compactness from front to back. It makes the pressing and closing down a lot more immediate because the players are covering a smaller area, and that negates the need for the midfielders to be pacey in that regard. Look how much sharper Lucas seems at the moment as a case in point. When we win the ball back, it also provides options to the man on the ball so in theory we can break much quicker and more effectively. The compact shape also makes it much more difficult for teams to get at us and play through us, which was probably the biggest flaw with Rodgers' set-up.

It must be said though that Klopp appears willing to start with a clean slate so players who perhaps were marginalised and not trusted by Rodgers feel that the new manager is showing more faith in them, so they are more motivated and confident. That effect is not specific to Klopp as it tends to happen at all clubs when they change managers, but the effect can make adjusting to the new manager's ideas that bit quicker, and show in any upturn in results.

That's a good point about how compact we are now, the gaps in our midfield that have existed for so long aren't there when we lose the ball anymore.  Most teams like to play a highish line (especially when they are the home side) if we are also playing a high line it means there are a huge number of bodies in the middle area of the pitch, just like the Spurs game.  You're right about our midfielders needing less pace to cover the ground in the middle now. We just have bodies there at all times. 

But also i think now we don't need huge pace up front to stretch our opponents defence once we win the ball back. One simple run and one simple pass, has us in behind and opens the game up for us. I think that will change once we get pace upfront, with Sturridge or whoever else he buys but for now, its what we have and he is working with it. Setting up a system to suit the attributes of the players out there. Not the other way round like Rodgers tried. 

I think Klopp's working out how to get the best out of Sakho and Skrtel as a partnership too, by focussing on the strengths of both and not leaving the CBs exposed. In lieu of a deep midfielder with a great range of passing, he's utilising Sakho as an outlet, and making sure there's cover for him from Skrtel - whose inclination will always be to run towards his own goal - and a DM.

Good point mate, i think your spot on with this. Klopp has seemed to recognise that he doesn't really have a top quality midfield passer in the team. Sakho is the bravest player, on the ball we have, in terms of playing a pass forwards, through tight gaps and into feet. His vision is excellent and i think Klopp is using this until he can find a midfield playmaker.

Longer term maybe teams will notice this and start to try and press Sakho, which will then open up other area's of the pitch for us to exploit. 

It's just going to be interesting to see how Klopp manages to find a way through teams who sit deep and park the bus. I think we might have seen a glimpse of this with Milners cross from slightly deeper for Benteke's header against Southampton. Or if we want a more fluid style, maybe how he used Firmino against Chelsea is another way. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. It's been a huge problem for long enough, especially at Anfield, for many of our previous managers. But i just get the feeling Klopp is going to come up with the answers. Once he does, teams wont know whether to sit deep or try and press us high....both will play into our hands. And then we will hear that laugh even more.

The Klopp mind fuck hahahahhaha

• Upvote 1

Comparing the Chelsea win versus Rodgers' last game away at Everton. 10 tackles in the opposition half vs 4 under Rodgers.

liverpool_2.png?itok=Ag8U1VTC

5 interceptions in the opposing half versus 2 away at Everton. 

liverpool_3.png?itok=_Q2981xw

Ball regains. 14 in the opposition half versus 5 against Everton. 

liverpool_1_0.png?itok=JyCGdY4O

Rodgers was making us play like a relegation-threatened team instead of the 7th most expensive squad in the world. If we'd had Klopp for the pre-season and transfer window we'd probably be challenging for the league by now. Did more damage than Hodgson did Fraudgers.

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to talk about the Kazan and Palace game, after we lost, but i have to be honest and say i was a little deflated and that inner child in me when we lose doesn't seem to go away. Not sure how the rest of you felt but losing our first game under Klopp wasn't a nice feeling. Even though i knew it would happen, when it did, it felt shit!

I thought we played really well against Kazan, on a shit pitch, we still managed to control the game. Tactics wise i seem to remember Milner hitting the bar on the inside right position but he played left midfield for most of the game. Klopp really allows his players freedom of movement and its nice to see. I think Rodgers did too but when Milner hit the bar, you just knew there would be someone else covering him on the left. Rodgers struggled with that big time, gaps would appear.

Palace was a bigger test. In his pre match press confrence Klopp said, i know they will play deep and hit us on the counter. I didn't feel they played like that. They left players forward, they're defence might have sat deep (i don't really know how they usually set up their back 4 to be honest) but Bolasie and Zaha always seemed to be forward and wide. We werent able to press high and stop the balls into them, Palace managed to beat the press many times and get good quality passes out to both of those guys. I think we tried to press Cabaye but he would just lay the ball off to a defender who would then play the pass forwards. 

Tactically i felt Klopp got it a little wrong that day. Especially once he made his substitution. It was 1-1 and the game was quite even 2nd half, in fact i thought we were looking the better side. But then he took Emre Can off and brought on Firmino. It opened up the whole midfield and we left Lucas (or was it Allen) completely exposed. I admire Klopp for making a positive substitution and going for the win. But i felt he did it too early and we never really recovered. Some questions came out of that game which im sure Klopp has too. Can we really play a pressing game with Benteke? Can we really only have one defensive midfielder out there? How can he combat teams who do have good quality wide players with pace and power? 

The Man City game was just brilliant, they played into our hands and tactically we set up knowing they would. We didn't press them really high up the pitch but more around the half way line. We knew we had the legs on Yaya and Fernando and anytime the ball went into them we didn't let them turn, forced them backwards and then continued the press onto their back 4.

As Carragher said, we played our front 3 narrow and i just think its always better to keep our players closer together. I hate it when managers ask players to hog the touchline. Once a player is so wide like that, they only have 2 runs they can make. Either run down the line or cut inside. When players start narrow and inside they can make so many different runs. They can get involved in the short passing game, drift outside once we have good possession, or stay inside and allow the full backs to overlap, make driving runs into the box or even support the play when the ball is on the opposite side. If they are so wide when we get the ball they have too much ground to cover. I love how Klopp keeps the players in a confined space. Its easier to attack and defend like this. 

If any team wants to go toe to toe with us we will batter them. Play attacking football against us and it plays right into our hands. 

Klopps next challenge is to break teams down who park the bus, if he can find the answers to that, sooner rather than later, we could really do well this season. When we don't have space in behind to make penetrating runs, how can we still attack and be creative? Does that then come down to individual quality?  Can we still get players into dangerous positions and not leave ourselves open to the counter?

Does anybody think he won't find the answers? Not me...I've never felt more sure about a Liverpool manager. 

• Upvote 3

Against City, we had 68.3% pass completion. In Rodgers' 3 seasons, our lowest ever was 73.8% and average 80.9%

Pressing wise, we close down about the same amount as we did under Rodgers, the main difference is Klopp does it higher and when we get the ball, we break at a million miles whereas Rodgers liked to play it safe, keep possession and have players spread too wide to be a goal threat. 

• Upvote 2

Against City, we had 68.3% pass completion. In Rodgers' 3 seasons, our lowest ever was 73.8% and average 80.9%

Pressing wise, we close down about the same amount as we did under Rodgers, the main difference is Klopp does it higher and when we get the ball, we break at a million miles whereas Rodgers liked to play it safe, keep possession and have players spread too wide to be a goal threat. 

Good point on players were spreading too wide under Rodgers, it was very hard to get passing moves going because everyone was 20 yards away from each other.

• 1 month later...

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/12/24/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-tactics

Tactical breakdown: How Jurgen Klopp is transforming Liverpool

jurgen-klopp-liverpool-tactics.jpg?itok=

Jurgen Klopp’s one-liners remain famous years after he produces them. His proclamation of love for “heavy metal” football offers endless entertainment, and his touchline charisma can’t be taught in any coaching course.

He might lament his own sayings at times—“The problem with my life is that I've said too much s--- in the past, and no one forgets it,” he said in an early press conference at Liverpool—but they can also be taken as an axiom of his philosophy on the game.

In particular, Klopp rode his notion that “gegenpressing is the best playmaker there is” to great success at Borussia Dortmund. His new team doesn’t live and die through gegenpressing as much as regular pressing so far (more on the differences between the two later), but Liverpool has certainly become a highly structured side.

Its new calculated system of space control and ball pressure manipulates opponents into making poor decisions and giving up possession high up the field. The outcome, as it often was with Klopp’s teams in Dortmund, is an interception in a favorable area or a long ball that the defense can win without much trouble.

klopp-rodgers-stats-comparison.jpg

The results so far have been somewhat mixed, with an good early run of form followed by the current slump of four games without a win in all competitions. Still, the numbers point to a favorable general trend in Klopp’s league matches compared to Brendan Rodgers’ shortened season.

Liverpool has averaged over a goal a game under Klopp, and though the Reds have also conceded at a slightly higher rate, that’s partly down to the natural adaptation period when a new manager arrives. The statistical differences point to the change in philosophy; Liverpool intercepts more balls in the attacking half now, wins more duels and maintains more possession despite a lower passing accuracy.

Klopp’s focus on the defensive is quite different than José Mourinho’s, with an emphasis on winning the ball back quickly and going straight to goal. The common idea is preying on opposition errors, but rather than patiently waiting for them to develop, Liverpool seeks to cause them by creating chaos and panic as the other team tries to build its attack.

high-press-vs-chelsea.jpg

After some tinkering with systems, debuting in a 4-3-2-1 and even trying a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield in the 6-1 demolition of Southampton in the League Cup, Klopp has settled on the standard 4-2-3-1. His departures from a one-forward formation usually coincide with having more than one target-type strikers available, in which case two will play ahead of a withdrawn playmaker and narrow midfield

Regardless of the formation, the principles of play remain the same. When the opponent commits to playing on one half of the field, such as when a center back receives the ball, the highest man cuts the field in half with his run, forcing the next pass wide.

Meanwhile, the midfield is clogged with one-on-one matchups and a high back line to reduce the playable space as much as possible.

After enticing play to a fullback, the nearest midfielder steps out to press and the rest cut off central passing lanes, trapping the opposition (Coaches sometimes call this “using the touchline as a defender”).

defensive-shape-vs-city.jpg

If the ball does go central, any receiving player can usually be closed down by at least three immediately. Playing the ball over the top will be met by central defenders comfortable in the air and fullbacks that can cover ground quickly with their speed, as well as a goalkeeper sweeping off his line.

It’s a disciplined defensive system that requires a great deal of focus from the players, but they also have the flexibility to counter however the opposition decides to attack. The key is, once opponents play the ball into midfield, Liverpool is in position to close down zonally with numbers around the ball.

That’s pressing: creating a situation designed to regain possession in a certain area of the field. Gegenpressing, or counter-pressing in English, is pressing specifically at the moment when a team transitions from attack to defense.

When a team loses possession, the normal response is to regain shape and balance so the opponent cannot easily break lines and move the ball toward goal. In that case, the transition moment is slower and leads to an organized, regrouped collective that can once again look to win the ball.

A counter-pressing team essentially eschews the organizational portion and immediately hunts the ball in a pack, compact and closely connected. In this sense, what should be a moment of disadvantage becomes the opposite, as the opponent is likeliest to be disorganized at the moment of losing possession.

giphy.gif

At times, teams can even give the ball away intentionally simply to initiate their counter-press. This is where Klopp’s notion about gegenpressing as a playmaker comes in; if a team can organize itself for that transition moment while still in possession, as Liverpool does with its narrow midfield, the opposition won’t be able to gain any space when it wins the ball and will likely give it right back.

Klopp prefers a space-oriented counter-pressing system, in which a number of players converge on the ball and the space immediately surrounding it, cutting off all options by suffocating the player in possession. Other possibilities include a man-oriented press, in which defenders cover opponents one-on-one, and ball-oriented gegenpressing, in which multiple players aggressively pressure the ball.

However, even gegenpressing teams have a limit as to how long they press before regrouping. Pep Guardiola enacts a four-second rule with his teams, but the general guideline is if an opponent can successfully play out of a counter-press, the transition to defense cannot be overturned and so a team must reorganize.

The risk is a lack of collective understanding that creates a simple path to goal for the opposition, and that can only be neutralized with individual discipline and constant repetition in training. In theory, gegenpressing reduces that probability because a team would be pressing as far away from its own goal as possible if it loses the ball in the attacking third, leaving a lot of ground to be covered for an opponent to be dangerous.

The majority of Liverpool’s defensive actions have fallen into the category of simple pressing, which is to be expected as the team continues to adapt to Klopp’s philosophy. Individuals and teams learn concepts from simple to complex, so the micro-defensive tweaks that allow a team to gegenpress consistently can only be implemented after mastery of the manager’s macro-level changes.

lfc-fullbacks.jpg

In attack, players have the freedom to express themselves and let their natural tendencies take over. Roberto Firmino, Philippe Coutinho and Adam Lallana in particular combine and play off each other well. The five-man overload that lends itself so well to pressing and counter-pressing has a similar effect in attack because of the players’ technical abilities.

Immediate verticality leads to opportunities for them to combine quickly and creatively, much more so than long spells of sustained possession. James Milner’s flexibility creates versatility in all phases of the game, as he can play narrow or wider, higher or lower in midfield

The one constant in Liverpool’s attack is the fullbacks providing width. The responsibility is heavier for Alberto Moreno on the left, where Coutinho generally stays pinched in, than Nathaniel Clyne on the right, who shares the work with Milner.

Underneath the top line, Emre Can and Lucas Leiva play in a double-pivot arrangement (or doppelsechs, “double No. 6” in German).

Can usually pushes forward as more of a box-to-box midfielder, particularly in the left half-space, while Lucas supports the back line and occasionally flares out toward the right half-space in attack. Jordan Henderson can play in this space or one of the higher midfield spots.

Having strong forwards is a must in Klopp’s system, and Firmino, Daniel Sturridge, Christian Benteke and Divock Origi offer that option. They have shown that being an effective target man isn’t all about size, but rather having a creative dynamic with the No. 10 and other midfielders and an ability to hold the ball up or run into the wide channels when necessary.

Still, Liverpool’s attack seems to be built more on the players’ pre-dispositions than conscious choreography. At times, as Dortmund did in Klopp’s final season, the top six seem to lack ideas of how to move forward, especially against opponents who concede possession and sit in a lower defensive block.

Klopp’s challenges are similar to those he faced with BVB, but the Premier League’s open play and physical nature seem to lend themselves to his high-pressing ways. If he gets the time he needs and financial support in the transfer market, he could build a better version of what he had in Germany before too long at Anfield.

• Upvote 4

I thought he did a good job taking Leicster apart at the joints, though; the question stands why such poor teams as WBA and Watford made him look daft.

Klopp's tactics can only give the players a plan to work to, it doesn't guarantee that they won't have a shithouse day when the whistle blows.  Particularly against Watford there was a collective lack of effort & fight.  WBA are a Pulis side, they openly used thug tactics to bully our wallflowers into submission.  Klopp got his Rafa/Allardyce moment during that game, and that's an issue that he can only rectify over time with the correct signings.

Klopp is still finding his way in the PL, but he's probably already got an idea of what he needs in the summer transfer window.  I wouldn't count too much on January's window.

• Upvote 1

I'm not trying to be arsey here, but Klopp's magnestism and charisma has started to create a climate were his tactics are either glorious, or it is the treachery of match going fans, or the other manager, or our cunt players... Anything but his team selection, tactics and subs that cost us the match.

Being a great manager means, that we shouldn't get spanked, because Watford employ long ball tactics.

We have The Mancs in just over 2 weeks, so I'm at hyper critical mode.

I'm in a mood for 2 months, if their cuntishness wins the day at Anfield.

Fair Klopp in the Guardian:

“We spoke about being physical,” said Klopp of his team’s response to the 3-0 reverse at Watford. “Fighting for second balls is a physical fight and we have to do this. It’s nothing we can’t do. It’s a problem of understanding. We want to play football and if you get a second ball you have to refocus and fight for it.

“You need to have three or four players who fight for this and two or three who think: ‘We can get this second ball and now we can start playing.’ That’s what we didn’t do often enough but it’s not a physical problem. We have to change our kind of fighting for these balls, which is what we tried to do in the last game, so we knew about it.”

In an simpler age it was called grafting for the team. something else that Rodgers eradicated. Klopp is spot on here.

It's a pretty shit, and basic, league. Have one or two decent forwards and as long as the rest of your side, even if Championship quality, is well organised you can do well. It wouldn't happen in Italy, sides with some tactical nous would ensure the forwards never got the ball. It wouldn't happen in Spain because sides like Watford would have about 3% possession.

I think Klopp recognises that we need our players to be much more attuned to and confident of playing on the front foot against opponents who will look to pack their defence, be difficult to break down, look to play on the counter and for set-pieces, or simply just get in our face. He wants our players to keep fighting and looking to break opponents down even if it takes until a game's latter stages to do so. He also wants the players to be confident enough to shut games down when we are leading.

The problem with the recruitment drive of the past few years is that we've signed talented players who look good plying for teams who display the above attributes rather than the attributes we need in order to consistently win games. Some of the players have been shown to be mentally weak but the cumulative effect is to make the whole squad mentally weak as we have also lost so many players who were mentally strong and who could be counted on.