You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

So Conte deserves praise for playing the same way he has always played, but Jurgen is criticised because he plays the same way he has always played!

We used to win leagues. We used to be the team feared in Europe.

We also used to have the most intelligent fans in the country!

• Upvote 1

You think Rafa won the champions league with players like Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan, Josemi, Nunez and Baros without tactics?

Come on mate, that's stretching it! Tactics play a huge part at the highest level. Fat Sam has rescued many teams from relegation because of his defensive shape and organisation. Same with Pulis. Same with Mourinho winning so much and Rafa working miracles in 05 and to get us there again in 2007.

Sure better players matter but a quality coach + tactical approach can get a lot more from average players too.

Personally i think Klopp has got a fairly average bunch of players into the champions league and two cup finals with his tactics and man management. Sad thing is he didn't replace most of them last year or this year and now they are really getting found out.

Yes I agree I am stretching it a bit,but people have now become obsessed by tactics above everything else,even having the best players. Rafa did brilliantly with not a great bunch of players but you could argue that Hyypia,Gerrard,Carragher,Hamann et al,were no mugs either. It was also a cup competition relieving pressure from a pretty disappointing league season alongside that triumph,which helped to make that achievement better. We were also dealt giant slices of luck or brilliance along the way. Not to besmirch Rafa but we didnt win a title with him and his tactics either,we were just short of that little bit of individual brilliance,that cunt Ronaldo probably.

I'm hoping this season will develop in the opposite way to last season.  Start slowly, build some momentum and then stay that way instead of starting on fire and having a blip.  If this is our blip and we get it out of the way early we're geared up well to impose ourselves on the rest of the season.  If it's not a blip, and the problems are more intrinsic, it will be a long old season.

I'm hoping this season will develop in the opposite way to last season.  Start slowly, build some momentum and then stay that way instead of starting on fire and having a blip.  If this is our blip and we get it out of the way early we're geared up well to impose ourselves on the rest of the season.  If it's not a blip, and the problems are more intrinsic, it will be a long old season.

We do have a squad that would be able to handle the things that derailed us last season (center backs aside).  I think this blip is just a form thing that needs to click.

We do have a squad that would be able to handle the things that derailed us last season (center backs aside).  I think this blip is just a form thing that needs to click.

Yeah with Mané being twinned with Salah it should make us much more dangerous, in theory.  It's unlikely they'll both have stinkers in the same game too often.  We became too predictable without Mané, but Salah changes all that. 

We just need to string a few wins together and stop doing stupid things like choosing Karius for the CL games.  Back to basics, choose your strongest XI. Rotate by all means but do so in the right way, on the back of good results.   

Yeah with Mané being twinned with Salah it should make us much more dangerous, in theory.  It's unlikely they'll both have stinkers in the same game too often.  We became too predictable without Mané, but Salah changes all that. 

We just need to string a few wins together and stop doing stupid things like choosing Karius for the CL games.  Back to basics, choose your strongest XI. Rotate by all means but do so in the right way, on the back of good results.   

That's win-at-all-costs thinking.  I'm not sure we are ready for that; I kind of like having more than 1 keeper vying for the top-spot.  Less enamoured with our options but I like the plan.

We're playing as well as can be expected tbh.  Creating plenty and not giving away too many chances other than the usual expected defensive gaffs from the clowns in the team.

If this is the reaction to a few bad results that we played ok in, fuck knows what's going to be said if we do through a proper slump.

• Upvote 2

When klopp won the league 2 seasons in a row they conceded 22 and 25 goals respectively. Only 34 games as opposed to 38 but still impressive.

In the interests of balance(I am a Klopp fan by the way) Dortmund and Bayern were still a bit of a way clear of the opposition although the likes of Schalke,Leverkusen etc were a bit more competitive than the situation now.

It is preposterous to say Klopp can't organise a defence but I am still worried about these owners making him prioritise signings(If that is whats happening of course.)

Utd have proved a top keeper and striker papers over huge cracks and seen as the rest of the team as a unit functions pretty good without actually giving too many chances away I’d say if we had De Gea and say a prime Lewendowski we’d batter nearly every team we play against, it might have changed but up until last week we had the least chances against us so the few De Gea would have to save he would save and Lewendowski would score a minimum of 30 league goals with the chances we create. I’ve said a million times but if we signed Oblak and Aubameyang we’d be near unstoppable, chuck Keita and Van Dijk into that and we’d be the best team in Europe.

• Upvote 1

Take away the big Premier League fixtures (games against the top 6 + the derby) and this season's European games against half decent opposition (Sevilla who are 3rd in Spain and Hoffenheim who are 2nd in Germany) and our record in 2017 is as follows:

P24

W9

D7

L8

GF32

GA29

GD+3

The only times we've won by more than a goal in 24 games against an absolute sea of shite were the last 2 of last season against an already relegated Boro and a West Ham team on the beach.

• Downvote 1

Take away the big Premier League fixtures (games against the top 6 + the derby) and this season's European games against half decent opposition (Sevilla who are 3rd in Spain and Hoffenheim who are 2nd in Germany) and our record in 2017 is as follows:

P24
W9
D7
L8
GF32
GA29
GD+3

The only times we've won by more than a goal in 24 games against an absolute sea of shite were the last 2 of last season against an already relegated Boro and a West Ham team on the beach.

So if we take out the games we were good in, our record is not so good.

Hmmm, who'd a thought that...

IMO Having the dual threat of salah and mane, the more adventurous full backs, and coutinho deeper is already making a difference in the right direction.  We'll see if it's enough.

• Upvote 3

IMO Having the dual threat of salah and mane, the more adventurous full backs, and coutinho deeper is already making a difference in the right direction.  We'll see if it's enough.

Correct. It's like Ive said before about the critical over analysis that now goes on with everything LFC.

After all the 'LFC set pieces goals' and the rest, the 'new' fashionable stat is this 129 'shots' and only 6 goals. But if we'd only had, say, 50 shots and 6 goals, people would be droning on about how few shots we'd had and every other fucking team out 'shooting' us.

Yes, yes, yes.

P24
W9
D7
L8
GF32
GA29
GD+3

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

• Upvote 2