You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

I'm not trying sound condescending, but I think he has become a much better in game manager than he used to be. That Sevilla second half has made him much sharper and proactive, IMO.

He had a few howlers this season with Sevilla being the standout. I don’t know whether it’s just because I love the guy but I’m trying to think of things from his point of view and why didn’t he fix those things in games earlier etc. Now I actually think it’s all part of the way he manages. He could take Moreno off in that situation and he fixes the problem there and then but what happens next time?

He’s all about the players learning lessons and I think he nearly always sees the answer to problems as the players learning and adapting rather than looking for the quick fix of just replacing the player whether that be in the transfer market or with a substitute. We reap the benefits of this in the long run as we have seen. It just requires patience when those bad games happen.

He had a few howlers this season with Sevilla being the standout. I don’t know whether it’s just because I love the guy but I’m trying to think of things from his point of view and why didn’t he fix those things in games earlier etc. Now I actually think it’s all part of the way he manages. He could take Moreno off in that situation and he fixes the problem there and then but what happens next time?

He’s all about the players learning lessons and I think he nearly always sees the answer to problems as the players learning and adapting rather than looking for the quick fix of just replacing the player whether that be in the transfer market or with a substitute. We reap the benefits of this in the long run as we have seen. It just requires patience when those bad games happen.

I meant the Sevilla game in Basel, more a steady progression in the past 23 months.

I meant the Sevilla game in Basel, more a steady progression in the past 23 months.

Then I disagree with your point. I think the loss in Basel was more to do with a lack of quality players and years worth of crumbling under pressure before Klopp arrived. It’s took him time to get his type of player in and instill a mentality that matches his. His in game management is something I’ve had a problem with this season which I hadn’t had previously. The Sevilla game where Moreno’s head went was a prime example of him sitting back and not reacting quickly enough. My post before this was about his general management style which I think means you have to accept those type of games and moments because it’s part of the whole package.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Anybody else reckon Klopp has intentionally set it up so we reach peak fitness at the halfway point? 

I spoke about this before a few months ago, it seems that most of the time teams use preseason to get themselves at peak performance for when the season starts. And gradually they get a bit leggy towards the end without adequate rotation. 

But it seems like we've started the season a bit slow and groggy, people were worried that it was hangover from a long season/world cup. But we've gradually picked up the pace as times gone on. And the last few games have been more of a reflection of last seasons energetic attacking football. 

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble, you're relying on scraping by with narrow wins/draws for a few months, but if you are still in the mix by January then that's when it pays off, and the squad depth becomes less of an issue because they are:

A. Only just getting started and, 

B. Playing vs teams who are starting to feel the effects of the season already.

Another case of Klopp playing a blinder if this is the case. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Anybody else reckon Klopp has intentionally set it up so we reach peak fitness at the halfway point? 

I spoke about this before a few months ago, it seems that most of the time teams use preseason to get themselves at peak performance for when the season starts. And gradually they get a bit leggy towards the end without adequate rotation. 

But it seems like we've started the season a bit slow and groggy, people were worried that it was hangover from a long season/world cup. But we've gradually picked up the pace as times gone on. And the last few games have been more of a reflection of last seasons energetic attacking football. 

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble, you're relying on scraping by with narrow wins/draws for a few months, but if you are still in the mix by January then that's when it pays off, and the squad depth becomes less of an issue because they are:

A. Only just getting started and, 

B. Playing vs teams who are starting to feel the effects of the season already.

Another case of Klopp playing a blinder if this is the case. 

I think he said exactly that in a few interviews. And I recall it being discussed, or at least mentioned by a few, on here at the start of the season. 

I think it’s just a by product/bonus of the change in style.  He said the other week that we needed to change style because opposition were combatting our own pressing by going long and playing percentage football rather than trying to play out.

It would be great to see it as the season goes on and as you say we aren’t leggy late in games as the deeper on in the year.

So I was thinking about all our good players at the moment. Big Virge - getting plaudits as being the best centre-half in the world. Mo - obvs playing awesome and scoring a bagful. Andy Robbo - Mourinho eyeing him jealously. Gomez and Terrance Trent-D'Arby emerging. Sadio - doing uppredictably great stuff.

It made me think "Shit. I bet other teams are watching them and will pinch them. And I thought about Dortmund and what Klopp did there. Many of the players that were tearing it up for Dortmund weren't quite the same players after moving on.

How much is about signing great players...and how much about making players great in a team.

Whether we win the league or not, watching LFC is great again. Don't get me wrong. I am not going all Taff's Tavern. We need to win stuff. But it will come. Maybe starting with a smaller trophy, but it will come.

Doubter to believer. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jennings said:

So I was thinking about all our good players at the moment. Big Virge - getting plaudits as being the best centre-half in the world. Mo - obvs playing awesome and scoring a bagful. Andy Robbo - Mourinho eyeing him jealously. Gomez and Terrance Trent-D'Arby emerging. Sadio - doing uppredictably great stuff.

It made me think "Shit. I bet other teams are watching them and will pinch them. And I thought about Dortmund and what Klopp did there. Many of the players that were tearing it up for Dortmund weren't quite the same players after moving on.

How much is about signing great players...and how much about making players great in a team.

Whether we win the league or not, watching LFC is great again. Don't get me wrong. I am not going all Taff's Tavern. We need to win stuff. But it will come. Maybe starting with a smaller trophy, but it will come.

Doubter to believer. 

Good post. I think it’s far more about making players great in a team than many seem to believe. Best example is United the past 12 months or so. When they signed Sanchez many were getting edgy saying how much he’d improve them. A few months later he’s crap. As is Pogba according to many. 

It is of course a commbination of the two, like Bob Paisley once said «...then of course you need good players». But I think the unit, how it fits together, and how it’s coached and set up tactically, is often underestimated.

• Upvote 1

Watching the Wolves game and getting typical nervous but then thinking Imagine I was a supporter of the teams we play against and seeing Salah,Mane,Firmino,Big Virg,Alisson etc and then thinking 'How the fuck can we stop these?' We are a great set up at the moment and I'm delighted I have been a big fan of Klopp coming here and rejuvenating our team like his old Dortmund side.

• 3 months later...

Thought yesterdays game was really interesting in what Spurs did at HT.

Forcing us to play centrally seems to be where we struggle and when teams congest that area we really lack creativity when we're playing Hendo, Gini and Milly. There's been a number of teams that have done that which has sometimes been unlocked by a goal by Mane/Salah.

If I were to give credit to Spurs, I thought Kanes passing yesterday was incredible.

What changed yesterday? We caused them so much trouble with the full backs in the first half. Second half kicked off and we couldn't get the ball for 15 minutes. Far too slow with the substitutions, the game was crying out for Fabinho on the 60 minute mark. 

1 minute ago, janmolby said:

What changed yesterday? We caused them so much trouble with the full backs in the first half. Second half kicked off and we couldn't get the ball for 15 minutes. Far too slow with the substitutions, the game was crying out for Fabinho on the 60 minute mark. 

Yep.  the tactic of playing with a shite midfield that plays deep, offers nothing offensively, and will crumble if the opposition go for us is a little bit dubious though.  I'd prefer it if we played a midfield with some attacking intent that created chances for our front players and stopped the opposition taking the initiative and walking through us rather than waiting for another own goal to bail us out.  Call me fussy.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, janmolby said:

Spurs changed their approach to try and stop us switching it to the wings and play through the middle which we're a bit shite at.

This season is weird as fuck. I don't think we've looked anything like you'd imagine a 90 plus point team looking. Often we've been sloppy even poor but then just grinding and grinding. It's April and I'm still thinking just wait till it clicks, I'm guessing this just is us now this is how we play, every game no matter the quality of the opposition we make it a battle, a shit your pants battle. Klopps has done an unbelievable job since he's been here.

• Upvote 1