You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

We didn't have a single player who played more than 40 games last season...

Tiredness my arse

How come back in 1984 players could play 70 games a season and actually you know win things...playing on slag heap pitches, with nowhere near the training, diet and sports science help the players have now..

Coutinho for example has appeared in 14 games for us this season across all comps and a mere 8 in the league.

14 games in nearly 4 months...he should be as fresh as they come and arguably just shaking off the rust from playing so little over last few months...ok he had a knock it seems yesterday but the overall point still stands for me...this rotation and tiredness shite belongs in the shitness of modern football.

The game was slower back then and the handful of players who did play 70 games were fucked. Ask Usain Bolt to run himself to exhaustion every 3 days and see how quickly his times would fall off.

He's ace but you can still question some of his choices the same way you can question mane's choice not to pass yesterday but he is still ace. Personally I think starting a derby with solanke was a bad decision, I wouldn't of rested both Coutinho and firmino it would be one or the other. I'd drop Henderson for a while too. Its a forum to give opinions or vent or whatever. In a match thread I knee jerk like fuck I was absolutely fuming yesterday but today im fine move on to west brom.

I get the questioning of decisions such as some of his subs but the doom and gloom with a bad result baffles me a bit especially after we've been banging in goals for fun since Spurs. Comes with the territory of us going so long without winning anything I guess. 

• Upvote 2

Do I raise my eyebrows at some of Jurgens decisions, sure but I back him 100% because he is not only building something here he is also battling to change mindsets some which are so entrenched I do not think he will manage to change. When you read some people saying back in the 80s players played 70 games a season so why are they tired now you just have to shake your head. Why arent the players of Chelsea Man City etc in fact any PL club playing 70 games a season. Because it is not possible to do it today when teams like Southampton Stoke or Bournemouth can quite possibly beat you if they have had a week between game while you have played midweek.

• Upvote 1

We didn't have a single player who played more than 40 games last season...

Tiredness my arse

How come back in 1984 players could play 70 games a season and actually you know win things...playing on slag heap pitches, with nowhere near the training, diet and sports science help the players have now..

Coutinho for example has appeared in 14 games for us this season across all comps and a mere 8 in the league.

14 games in nearly 4 months...he should be as fresh as they come and arguably just shaking off the rust from playing so little over last few months...ok he had a knock it seems yesterday but the overall point still stands for me...this rotation and tiredness shite belongs in the shitness of modern football.

Well, reports all week suggested courtinio was struggling and Bobby was fatigued. Not sure how true that is but the one person to know would be the manager who sees then every day in training.

Klopp picked a side from the availability he had at his disposal that he thought could dominate the game and that is what the team he picked did.

What if he'd have kept Mo on and he tore a hamstring or Phil broke down? Our manager must be allowed to make those decisions And he seems to have a track record of being pretty good at it.

There were two main incidents in that game that changed the result from being an easy victory, one was Mane failing to cross, the other was a dubious penalty. Both went against us and were beyond the managers control.

Football can be cruel and it was cruel on Sunday but Klopps the best thing at this club, I will continue to respect his judgement when things don't go our way.

Even at 1-1 I liked how he was trolling everyone by putting Danny Ings on the pitch.

I don't think he looks at league games in isolation, if he gets us through the Christmas fixtures unbeaten I will take that and deal with the fact we dropped a couple of points from a game we should have won.

Everton though. That performance from them was awful but because they spawned a draw their fans have seen past the ale house tactics and now Sam's winning them over. Beautiful.

I saw a clip on sky yesterday of that debate show they run. Gordon Strachan was on and was asked about Klopp’s interview he had straight after the game. I loved his answer, he said there was no worse time for a manager than straight after a game when emotions are running high.

He also pointed out that Klopp right at the end said sorry if he’d offended in any way which I saw but many clips on news shows don’t show.

At last a sensible point! Strachan also made me laugh because he called shreeves (I know it wasn’t him) something like ‘prophet of doom’ or something! ‘There’s nothing worse than after a brilliant game shreeves that prophet of doom sticking a microphone in your face’ brilliant!

• Upvote 1

I saw a clip on sky yesterday of that debate show they run. Gordon Strachan was on and was asked about Klopp’s interview he had straight after the game. I loved his answer, he said there was no worse time for a manager than straight after a game when emotions are running high.

He also pointed out that Klopp right at the end said sorry if he’d offended in any way which I saw but many clips on news shows don’t show.

At last a sensible point! Strachan also made me laugh because he called shreeves (I know it wasn’t him) something like ‘prophet of doom’ or something! ‘There’s nothing worse than after a brilliant game shreeves that prophet of doom sticking a microphone in your face’ brilliant!

Strachan himself went off on a few ones in post game interviews if I remember rightly.

Strachan himself went off on a few ones in post game interviews if I remember rightly.

He did and although I hated him as a player (being a manc) I loved his interviews after the game because he did call out all those daft questions! He also said on that debate show he’d written a few apology letters after!

• Upvote 2

I remember he came out with a belter at his press conference when he got the Southampton job.

Resporter: Gordon, do you think You're the right man for the job?

Strachan: No, I was just saying to the chairman before that he should have got George Graham in because I'm useless.

Class.

• Upvote 1

Just heard on SSN that at this point last season we scored more and had 6 more points.

Whilst this is a valid point that we’re not in as good as a position as last season, this is the very thing that makes you judge a team after a full season not just half. We’ll easily catch up on the goal difference because we faded badly last year and had to string a few 1-0s together towards the end. And like I said we FADED badly last year which will not happen and the amount of points we dropped from January onwards won’t happen again because the squad and rotation is better also we’ve had the CL to deal with, I think we’ll have scored more, conceded less and have more points than last season by the end of it all. It might only end up being good enough for 3/4th place because Man City are running away with it and Utd will beat all the shite. Tottenham and Chelsea should recapture some sort of form so it will still be a huge battle for CL football next season but we are capable. Two of Us, Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham will miss out of CL next year.

I remember he came out with a belter at his press conference when he got the Southampton job.

Strachan: No, I was just saying to the chairman before that he should have got George Graham in because I'm useless.

Class.

Class.

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity."

Brilliant!

Class.

Reporter: "This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?"

Strachan: "You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there."

Reporter: "This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?"

Strachan: "You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there."

Reporter: "Gordon, do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?"
Strachan: "I don't care, I'm Scottish."

Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"
Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."

Reporter: "There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?"

Strachan: "Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!"

"People think I've got a problem with the press. Actually I have no problem with the press, but just like in football there are a handful who cause problems because they're disrespectful, they're lazy, and above all - and this is what really gets to me - they haven't worked hard to get there."

Reporter: "What is your impression of Jermaine Pennant?"
Strachan: "I don't do impressions”

Reporter: "So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?"
Strachan: "What areas? Mainly that big green one out there…"