You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

It's the players, not the tactics.

The problem is most of our players aren't even half decent, they're fucking shite.

Our spine of Mignolet, Lovren, Henderson and Firmino is horrific.

There lies the problem.

which out of those players would get into any other team with top 6 aspirations, maybe Bobby but not as an automatic starter.

The problem is most of our players aren't even half decent, they're fucking shite.

There lies the problem.

I agree. That spine is as bad as most in the league.

There lies the problem.

Lloris, Alderweald, Henderson, Firmino

De Gea, Bailly, Henderson, Firmino

Courtouis, Cahill, Henderson, Firmino

It doesn't look so bad when you remove the names of Mingolet and Lovren. Lovren will play again due to injuries and what not but Mingolet should never play for us again. Neither should play for us next season.

Lloris, Alderweald, Henderson, Firmino

De Gea, Bailly, Henderson, Firmino

Courtouis, Cahill, Henderson, Firmino

It doesn't look so bad when you remove the names of Mingolet and Lovren. Lovren will play again due to injuries and what not but Mingolet should never play for us again. Neither should play for us next season.

Would be even better if you remove Henderson for any other fucker.

Firmino is still not good enough in any of those combinations if you're looking to win trophies.

• Upvote 1

The tactics are fine but we are trying to win a game, trophies etc with a goalie, defence and midfield at the level of Southampton, we are a mostly mediocre team carried by an excellent attack so shock horror get lots of mediocre results and some excellent ones. And when we get a few injuries to the attack we cant paper over the cracks like now.

• Upvote 1

Did you discern any viable plan to stop Kane today?

I know a former LFC manager who would have had that set out on his breakfast table for a week prior.

No?

Klopp will do the pre game presser and say its about them worrying about us.

Just words Jurgen.

Individual mistakes cost us more than tactics today. Lovren, Lovren, Can (slightly Matip) and Mignolet. Four Spurs goals, four Liverpool mistakes.

Next, after mistakes our next biggest shortcoming is the personnel. Add VVD and Keita, the two we went after all summer, and I’m certain we’d look a lot better. (We’d still need a goalie and one or two other areas improving, but still, personnel is the next problem, at least to my eyes).

Now we come to tactics.

Rafa was a deep thinker about the game and it was a very rare occasion he did not have his tactics spot on. No qualms about his qualitiy on that front with me.

As for our manager, Jurgen Klopp, the tactics are mostly fine. I would like to see him vary 433 up a bit and I’d also like to see him make subs a bit earlier - although yanking Lovren out today was very early and decisive! It’s fair to say he’s not quite at the same level as Rafa on that side of the game. Few, if any, are. But Jurgen is being undermined in what he is trying to do by individual player mistakes. Cut the mistakes out and improve a couple of key positions and we will look so much better. I’m sure, for example, that Jurgen would kill for the spine that Rafa enjoyed in his time as manager at Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

Wants a good spine? - build one. He's had 4 windows to do it and it still has a big yellow streak down it and is still hampered by error prone players who have been making the same kind of errors too often for too long.

I was about to reply similar, Benitez built that spine except for Gerrard.

Our spine will looks a lot better with Van Dijk/Other and Keita in it.

We desperately need a keeper and a goal scorer to go with them but...

Oblak-VVD-Keita-Werner/Icardi/Belotti

For example Is miles away from-

Mignolet-Lovren-Henderson-Firmino.

That spine is as good as it gets in this league, I think it’s even better than Man City’s.

Yes he took Lovren off but it was fairly clear early on that Spurs had numbers at the back that led to our attacks just fizzling out majority of times. 

He should have put a striker mid way through the first half.

I hear that Klopp gets us.

Gets what? Genuine question.

Given what we saw today and the time between today and Klopps first game, away to Spurs also, it takes quite some spinning to detract any blame from the manager at all   

I was about to reply similar, Benitez built that spine except for Gerrard.

Our spine will looks a lot better with Van Dijk/Other and Keita in it.

We desperately need a keeper and a goal scorer to go with them but...

Oblak-VVD-Keita-Werner/Icardi/Belotti

For example Is miles away from-

Mignolet-Lovren-Henderson-Firmino.

That spine is as good as it gets in this league, I think it’s even better than Man City’s.

Agreed - sadly i would say there is more chance of Kelly Brook coming round mine after work tomorrow bathing me, ironing my clobber for work, cooking me some scran and then saying 'fancy an early night' than us getting that lot.

I agree he needs to build one. It’s a work in progress.

Keita coming will improve it, but central defence is seriously lacking. It needs VVD, or similar, and hopefully we will see that happen.

I like Firmino against the top sides but he doesn’t score enough and I’m siding towards us needing a prolific striker.

Karius was an attempt to improve on Mignolet but the jury is still out on that one, at best. He might come good or we may need another goalkeeper, or Ward might take the jersey.

We’re defintiley short throughout the spine though, no two ways about that, and patience is in short supply given the iffy start to the season.

• Upvote 1

Love Klopp but his blindness to what makes a good goalkeeper/centreback/centre-mid just seems fundamentally very flawed.

And starting a big important game with Can, Henderson and Milner as your midfield three is just about as uninspired as it gets.

Crazy to think we were willing to spend £60m on a single centreback, what a misuse of funds that would be.

I think it is clear that Klopp tried all summer long to sign VVD and Keita. I don’t think he’s blind... it’s just that he doesn’t have what he wants yet.

PS - mind you, I was expecting Karius to be better after we bought him. He needs to show us a lot more if he is to have a future here.

We have conceded 16 in 9 games this season. In 1978/79 we conceded 16 in 42 league games.

Not a very relevant stat probably, but I reckon with the amount of goals we're leaking it's obvious that both personnel and tactics are shite.

Edit: In the 78/79 we conceded 4 at home in 21 matches. Not likely, but wouldn't be a total shock if Huddersfield put 4 past us in one game next week. If they win a total of 10 corners/free kicks/throwins inside our half they have a fair shot.

Wants a good spine? - build one. He's had 4 windows to do it and it still has a big yellow streak down it and is still hampered by error prone players who have been making the same kind of errors too often for too long.

He hasn't had 4 windows though has he? He's been backed in two windows to the tune of about £15m net per season, and he's signed two world class players in that time.

The last time FSG backed the manager in January was nearly 5 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

We have conceded 16 in 9 games this season. In 1978/79 we conceded 16 in 42 league games.

Not a very relevant stat probably, but I reckon with the amount of goals we're leaking it's obvious that both personnel and tactics are shite.

Edit: In the 78/79 we conceded 4 at home in 21 matches. Not likely, but wouldn't be a total shock if Huddersfield put 4 past us in one game next week. If they win a total of 10 corners/free kicks/throwins inside our half they have a fair shot.

To be fair we have only conceded 1 goal at home , it is away that we have been awful defensively.