You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas

Kevin D

Lucas looked good again yesterday.  This is his best ever spell for us in a Liverpool shirt, and long may it continue.  

No it isn't mate. Before he got his bad injury he was world class. I fully expect him to get a new bumper contract followed by a m cruciate injury in the next game.

On top form he is the best in the league IMHO (In his position).

No it isn't mate. Before he got his bad injury he was world class. I fully expect him to get a new bumper contract followed by a m cruciate injury in the next game.

On top form he is the best in the league IMHO.

Jesus, I like Lucas as a player, but there are better DMs in the league than him. Schneiderlin and Matic (despite his current form) for example.

Before his last big Injury he was brilliant. I would not have swapped him for anyone.

Matic was consistently brilliant last season. Schneiderlin has been very good for a few seasons now. Lucas is lacking that consistency, however unlucky he has been with injuries.

On top form he is the best in the league IMHO (In his position).

He has never been near world class.  We do get a bit mad on appraising our players sometimes.  He's improving for three reasons imo - he's getting fitter, he's learning more about the game positionally, and more is being demanded of him.  His propensity to give silly free kicks in dangerous areas hasn't been expunged, and that along with his lack of agility and mobility are the reasons he isn't any more than a jobbing midfielder.  His experience will improve him positionally and in his decision making, but it doesn't make up for his shortcomings.  

It's a bit churlish to be having this discussion when he's playing so well, so I'm not going to engage in a debate about this, but the lauding of pretty ordinary players to the skies by fans is one of the reasons it's difficult to take opinions seriously.  We're all guilty of it.  

• Upvote 1

He has never been near world class. We do get a bit mad on appraising our players sometimes. He's improving for three reasons imo - he's getting fitter, he's learning more about the game positionally, and more is being demanded of him. His propensity to give silly free kicks in dangerous areas hasn't been expunged, and that along with his lack of agility and mobility are the reasons he isn't any more than a jobbing midfielder. His experience will improve him positionally and in his decision making, but it doesn't make up for his shortcomings.

It's a bit churlish to be having this discussion when he's playing so well, so I'm not going to engage in a debate about this, but the lauding of pretty ordinary players to the skies by fans is one of the reasons it's difficult to take opinions seriously. We're all guilty of it.

He's anything BUT a jobbing midfielder (whatever that means)!!

Before his last big Injury he was brilliant. I would not have swapped him for anyone.

I don't know about not swapping him but he was top class before he did his knee ligament.. Well as he's playing atm he hasn't quite reached that best level again 

I'm a fan of Lucas most of the time and think he often gets maligned unfairly but to be fair to his detractors there is always a costly FK in his locker and even yesterday things could have been very different had he got sent off ( which he probably should have ) for a stupid challenge. He bring zero goals to the party either but on balance with our far from solid defense he needs to be in the side and I'm glad we have him , Utterly fucking mental to think Rodgers was trying to offload him in the summer

Not sure why people don't rate him. Injuries have effected him but he's played important roles for nearly all our managers (I forget how often he played under Woy because I've banished those times from my memory) he's had a few spells where he's been our best player too.

I'd like to see us improve on him, but I'd keep him round for as long as his contact runs. He's not world class by any means but he's got the attitude you want from a player. All the respect in the world for the bloke to turn it around. A lesser player would have crumbled and bailed after the stick he was getting from practically everyone.

That one tackle where he sprinted back to make a two footed lunging block in our penalty box summed it up.

He was boss all game though he did show his limitation in passing and his tendency to get caught in possession once or twice.  That's part of the package, and at the moment, its a great overall package.

This is about as true as Sakho being a bad passer/uncomfortable on the ball etc, complete bullshit. Lucas is probably the most adventourous passer to play the DM role in the league. He regularly turns defence to attack with a pass splitting the opposition's midfield. I take it opinions like this comes from people yearning for the past of Gerrard's Hollywood balls. I don't. Lucas' passing is just as effective with a much higher completion rate.

He's been our best player since Klopp came in. He is still an absolute rock.

He's really kicked his passing up a gear now as well. Long may it continue.

I'd argue his passing has been pretty good all the way. He does get a bit further up field now (as Can does a bit of his defensive work/positioning), so it's just a bit more eye-catching than him regularly threading it through the midfield.

Should have been tracking Ramires for the goal, very nearly sent off for a number of fouls and stupidly caught in possession a few times.  Vintage lucas performance indeed.

Top quality DM needed asap, just like it's been needed since Mascherano left.

The first part is extremely harsh and some of it downright silly. I agree that a top quality DM like Mascherano (he was and probably still is the benchmark in his position) would be nice. Not very likely though. If we can keep Lucas fit, I expect him to continue to be important for us. Lucas has outplayed both Matic (who has been nothing short of shocking this season) and Schneiderlin so far btw.

Never been his biggest fan but no one can fault his professionalism or attitude since he was basically told he had no future. A lot of players would have sulked or thrown a strop, he's just got on with it and worked his nuts off. Still gives away silly fouls but his passing and work rate is really good.

I like my DMs to give away a few fouls. That means they are breaking up play, tackling and stopping the opposition from having a free run at the CBs. We tried having a player there last season that didn't give away fouls. That worked well...

He doesn't like to pass judgement - unless it is sideways

If this is referring to his passing, it's a cheap (and wrong) shot, as his passing is a lot more progressive than our fans (and media) give him credit for. 

A goal scoring holding midfielder that doesn't concede fouls, huh? Oh, you want him to be the greatest footballer of all time.

Exactly

If Lucas had an extra yard of pace he'd probably be the best in the league in his position (on current form)

This is a fair point. Unfortunately he's not going to pick that up. His positioning and game intelligence negates most of the need for that yard though. It's a bit like having Hamann there, or Hyypia at the back. Footballers that have the complete package both physically and mentally are extremely hard to come by, and on the few occasions they are available cost a fortune.

• Upvote 2

Woah. Who are you and what have you done with Stringy? 

If he plays well, I praise him.  Same as it ever was.  The question should be - what has Klopp done with Lucas? If he continues to play well, there'll be no grief from me - I want all of our players to do well, because it means the team will improve. 

• Upvote 1