You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amsterdam

Nunavut Patrick

Heading there soon, and to be honest am quite miffed the Heineken museum is fucking 18€ and even if it comes with two Heinekens I think I should get in free the hectalitres i have swilled of the stuff.

Anyway, I have a mate, not named Patrick or Glen, that really doesn't drink Heineken but does like to smoke marijuana. My mate actually has one of the conditons that weed is allowed to be prescribed for. But I digress.

As my mate and I are travelling by train to Amsterdam back to France my mate may want to have a few joints stuffed away to bring back. I have no desire to spend any time in a French jail, even with my rugged lumberjack looks i would make anyone my bitch, but nonetheless am I or my mate going to get found out by some sniffer dog and end up in a french version of Midnight Express?

As well, any recommendations for a decent coffee shop for my mate? Am staying near the train station.

Cannot wait to eat poffertjes and get free beer when I tell all the Dutch people my Dad liberated Holland.

• Upvote 2

If you're staying near Central, the best gaff is Cafe 420 - it's literally a two-minute walk from the train station. Sound vibe, usually shows boss nature docs on the big 4k telly. Also a fan of the Bulldog cafe, but there are a few of them around the city, they're all sound; the best one, coincidentally, just happens to be near the RLD.

As for sneaking stuff back, I've heard of loads of people just lashing it in their jeans in their bag when they get the plane home so very much doubt you'll get much trouble on the train, but having not done that exact journey I can't say for sure. Know mates who've got the train out of the country with decent bits of merch and had no bother.

The Heineken tour is a laugh, deffo worth the dough.

• Upvote 1

Heading there soon, and to be honest am quite miffed the Heineken museum is fucking 18€ and even if it comes with two Heinekens I think I should get in free the hectalitres i have swilled of the stuff.

Anyway, I have a mate, not named Patrick or Glen, that really doesn't drink Heineken but does like to smoke marijuana. My mate actually has one of the conditons that weed is allowed to be prescribed for. But I digress.

As my mate and I are travelling by train to Amsterdam back to France my mate may want to have a few joints stuffed away to bring back. I have no desire to spend any time in a French jail, even with my rugged lumberjack looks i would make anyone my bitch, but nonetheless am I or my mate going to get found out by some sniffer dog and end up in a french version of Midnight Express?

As well, any recommendations for a decent coffee shop for my mate? Am staying near the train station.

Cannot wait to eat poffertjes and get free beer when I tell all the Dutch people my Dad liberated Holland.

Last time I went to Amsterdam with a couple of mates we went to Paris afterwards and smoked a huge Northern Lights joint in Paris train station. 

Looking back, this probably wasn't a great idea.

Hope this helps.

Oh, there was a coffee shop called Dolphins which was quite nice, especially downstairs. No idea if it's still there.

I live about half an hour out of Amsterdam. I haven't bought weed there for years though. It's cheaper out of Amsterdam. He'll more than likely be happy enough with whatever he buys though. Coffee shop choice for sitting off in depends what you are into really. I can recommend some decent bars if you want to avoid stag parties and shit expensive beer. There is far better than Heineken available.

Susie"s Saloon Bar is a cracking bar right on the canal , great toasties , pool table and a boss duke box.....oh and the best place for pizza slices is literally round the corner....(which are a must if you are having a wee smoke).

Also the BaBa is a must for a coffee and a cake

• Upvote 2

Stickman knows.

Suzie's Saloon and Rick's Bar next to it have a nice terrace on the canal and usually a stream of buskers and street entertainment visiting through the day. The beer is about half the price of the more touristy places and they also have happy hours. Suzie's also has a pool table and half the pub is a smoking area if you want to smoke tobacco or weed indoors. Also see Hill Street Blues for cheap beer in the Red Light. It's a pleasant place to sit on the couches at the back and downstairs for a smoke.

For a cheap feed try Kam Yin on Warmoesstraat 6 (same road as Hill Street Blues). It's Surinaamse food and costs about the same as a pizza slice but you won't need four of them. Try a Moksi metti or a roti. Eat in or take away.

• Upvote 2

The library near the train station is just the other side of the water, worth visiting as almost a museum in itself and has a great cafe.

If you have the time it's also worth having a quick jaunt out of Amsterdam to Haarlem, about 30 mins by train.

Heineken tour is good value. You have a beer half way through then a couple at the end. Considering some of the beer prices over there €18 is reasonable. Plus at the bar at the end some visitors don't drink much in the day so will leave their tokens hanging around. Or make one of my mates dance for them, where he earnt 11 tokens.

• Upvote 1

Can't stand those coffee shops that play really heavy drum and bass dance music. How the fuck that helps you enjoy a joint I'll never know, stressed me out to fuck.

On sneaking weed over the boarder, it's always gonna be a small risk. You could choose the very day the police decide to check everyone. But more likely you'll be fine wherever you pack it.

I took loads in a shampoo bottle to Magaluf once. Good times.

This is the best 5 euro you can spend in Amsterdam. It's psychedelic as fuck and has the added advantage of being in the Jordaan which is much nicer than the Red Light.

http://electric-lady-land.com

He's fine if you go in stoned off your tits.

Second recommendation for the Jordaan district.  Short walk and stops you feeling like you're going out drinking in the equivalent of Piccadilly.

If you're staying near Central, the best gaff is Cafe 420 - it's literally a two-minute walk from the train station. Sound vibe, usually shows boss nature docs on the big 4k telly. Also a fan of the Bulldog cafe, but there are a few of them around the city, they're all sound; the best one, coincidentally, just happens to be near the RLD.

As for sneaking stuff back, I've heard of loads of people just lashing it in their jeans in their bag when they get the plane home so very much doubt you'll get much trouble on the train, but having not done that exact journey I can't say for sure. Know mates who've got the train out of the country with decent bits of merch and had no bother.

The Heineken tour is a laugh, deffo worth the dough.

is the hotel silver dollar still in canal strasse

Susie"s Saloon Bar is a cracking bar right on the canal , great toasties , pool table and a boss duke box.....oh and the best place for pizza slices is literally round the corner....(which are a must if you are having a wee smoke).

Also the BaBa is a must for a coffee and a cake

Stickman knows. Suzie's Saloon and Rick's Bar next to it have a nice terrace on the canal and usually a stream of buskers and street entertainment visiting through the day. The beer is about half the price of the more touristy places and they also have happy hours. Suzie's also has a pool table and half the pub is a smoking area if you want to smoke tobacco or weed indoors. Also see Hill Street Blues for cheap beer in the Red Light. It's a pleasant place to sit on the couches at the back and downstairs for a smoke. For a cheap feed try Kam Yin on Warmoesstraat 6 (same road as Hill Street Blues). It's Surinaamse food and costs about the same as a pizza slice but you won't need four of them. Try a Moksi metti or a roti. Eat in or take away.

I love Susie's Saloon, great place. I don't know if they were winding us up, but I remember getting told we couldn't sit in certain seats as they belonged to the Amsterdam chapter of the Hells Angels and if they walked in and you were sitting there they might be inclined to fuck you up.

I've not been for about 8 years, but last time I went the Hill Street Blues had stopped serving alcohol, something about a change in the law meaning coffee shops could no longer sell weed and alcohol from the same premises. Still a great place though, great atmosphere, good jukebox and some boss comfy seats. I've gone in there and not emerged until about five hours later completely splenged.

I love Susie's Saloon, great place. I don't know if they were winding us up, but I remember getting told we couldn't sit in certain seats as they belonged to the Amsterdam chapter of the Hells Angels and if they walked in and you were sitting there they might be inclined to fuck you up.

I've not been for about 8 years, but last time I went the Hill Street Blues had stopped serving alcohol, something about a change in the law meaning coffee shops could no longer sell weed and alcohol from the same premises. Still a great place though, great atmosphere, good jukebox and some boss comfy seats. I've gone in there and not emerged until about five hours later completely splenged.

Susie's is certainly owned by the Hell's Angels (as is Excalibur) but that sounds like bollocks to me.

They changed the law so you couldn't buy both weed and alcohol in the same place. Hill St Blues was indeed an alcohol free zone for a while but it is back selling cheap Jupiler again.