You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

Not bothered really. The January window is a load of bollocks designed to extort desperate clubs. This season is a write off to be honest as has been since Rodgers was left in charge of the purse strings and summer prep, absolutely ridiculous decision. No point compounding that with players we don't even want or who will vacuum up our entire transfer kitty in one go.

Look forward to the summer, let's see who Klopp has lined up - if the club don't back him they can fuck right off.

How can the season be a write off when we're in a cup final?

im glad we didnt do much id rather  wait till the summer  when the choice of players is bigger and the prices are not so over inflated .....whats the betting if we go back for Teixeria in the summer they will  take the 25m and run 

Am I right in thinking that that Dortmund transfer ninja is joining us this summer?

Pretty sure it's wishful thinking on our (the fans) part because his contract runs out at Dortmund.

Zorc's contract runs through till 30th June 2019.

I don't see Zorc ever wanting to leave Dortmund, nor do I expect Dortmund will ever want him to leave either.

BVB - Official Dortmund site in English.

Borussia Dortmund have extended sporting director Michael Zorc’s contract until 30 June 2019.

”Michael Zorc stands for Borussia Dortmund like no-one else. He’s been at the club since 1978 and has celebrated a great deal of success, first as a player, then as sporting director. That we wish to continue working together for the next five years demonstrates how much we value and trust the high quality of Michael’s work,” said Borussia Dortmund CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke.

In October 2013, BVB extended the contracts of head coach Jürgen Klopp and his assistants until 30 June 2018.

And the latest move is a further sign of structural and personnel continuity at Borussia Dortmund, German champions in 2011 and 2012, double winners in 2012 and Champions League finalists in 2013. “I sense that we haven’t reached the end of our development yet. I see it as our joint responsibility to build on the success of recent years and establish Borussia Dortmund at the summit of German football and as a permanent fixture in the UEFA Champions League in the long-term,” said Michael Zorc.

The 51-year-old Zorc was born in Dortmund and made 463 appearances in the Bundesliga (scoring 131 goals), 66 in European competition (13 goals) and 28 in the German Cup (10 goals) for BVB. The seven-time German international scored 49 of the 57 penalties he took in his career and is rated as one of the deadliest players from the spot in Bundesliga history. He holds the record for the number of appearances for Borussia Dortmund and only Manfred Burgsmüller has scored more goals in the black-and-yellow shirt.

After a triumphant end to his career, which culminated with the German title in 1995 and 1996, as well as winning the Champions League in 1997, Zorc moved into a management role. In 2005, his job description was adapted to incorporate the extended responsibilities that come with being a “sporting director”.

During Michael Zorc’s reign as sporting director, Borussia Dortmund have celebrated three German championships, two appearances in a European final (UEFA Cup 2002; UEFA Champions League 2013) and a German Cup title. Zorc is responsible for the entire football department at BVB, reaching all the way down to the youth teams.

Cup final at the end of the month, still in the FA cup and Europa league, but we didn't pay over the odds on some bloke who plays in Ukraine so we might as well pack it in in and hope for the best this summer.

Course we all wanted new faces but even if the price is right, how many of them would have been eligible to play in Europe of not needed a few months to settle? We're not winning the league and it's very unlikely we're getting fourth, so why not give the likes of Kent, Ojo, Brannagan, Tex and the like a chance?

We need improvements all over the pitch, but the squad isn't as bad as people make out and Mignolet, Moreno and Benteke are the only ones I'd ship out sharpish. Keep Flanno fit and he slots in at LB and if by some miracle Sturridge can stay fit or Origi can step up we have a decent enough team to compete in the cup competitions.

I think my favourite piece of non-business in this window was the announcement that we would be back in for James Maddison in the summer, having failed over a number of months to convince Coventry to part with him, only for Norwich to nip in there and seal a £2m transfer in about half an hour. That was classic committee.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Well the asking price was £38m and remained consistently at that. Yep in latter stages there were articles mentioning 53m Euro but effectively give or take exchange rate fluctuations it remained around £38m. So if that was their asking price and they never budged from it you could argue it wasn't 'over the odds'. It was just their original valuation. It was way over what LFC apparently offered obviously, and therefore by definition in excess of LFC's value of the player.

But then why waste time bidding nearly 40% below the asking price in the first place? And why fly out to Miami to offer 40% below? And then have to fly back empty handed. That's the baffling part.

I've seen a few fans making the same point that you have, it looks to me like the club were trying to negotiate a lower price and wanted the player to force a move.That didn't work and Klopp didn't want to pay more then what he feels the player is worth, Reus was one of Dorrmunds biggest buys and he only cost something like 15m so I can believe he was reluctant to pay nearly 40m for a 26 year old who hasn't played one game for his country.

If we had signed him and he was a bad signing Klopp would have got the criticism and not the club, there's no way they would have went against Klopps first signing imo especially when they will have millions available in the summer.

• Downvote 1

I've seen a few fans making the same point that you have, it looks to me like the club were trying to negotiate a lower price and wanted the player to force a move.That didn't work and Klopp didn't want to pay more then what he feels the player is worth, Reus was one of Dorrmunds biggest buys and he only cost something like 15m so I can believe he was reluctant to pay nearly 40m for a 26 year old who hasn't played one game for his country.

If we had signed him and he was a bad signing Klopp would have got the criticism and not the club, there's no way they would have went against Klopps first signing imo especially when they will have millions available in the summer.

Yer ma.

• Upvote 2

Need to be right and gullible to believe we didn't spend this window cause there was no one available.   The previous fuckwit manager blew our load in the summer and FSG don't spend any of their money, ever.

I've no problem with that but the fake targets that we try ever so hard to sign...chuckle, just takes the fanbase for a bunch of idiots.  Then again when so many fall for it, who'd blame them.

I think my favourite piece of non-business in this window was the announcement that we would be back in for James Maddison in the summer, having failed over a number of months to convince Coventry to part with him, only for Norwich to nip in there and seal a £2m transfer in about half an hour. That was classic committee.

There'll be better value in the sum...wtf...doh!

Given our complete inability to offer a threat at the sharp end of the pitch, both because of injuries and unsuitable and/or out of form players, it was a big mistake to not bring a striker in, even if on loan. 

It was a big old January mistake for the third season running now coupled with the usual complete clusterfuck of a half hearted attempt to sign someone who might actually inject a bit of life into the team. 

Looking at the squad and you can make a case for selling every single one of the fuckers. Including Coutinho. And Sturridge.

Defenders who can't defend. Midfielders who either can't run or aren't much cop at doing anything but run. Where's the destroyer? Where's the Alonso, Gerrard, Molby,Redknapp, Whelan type playmaker who can control a game from deep and pass a ball?

Hardly a winger in the team worthy of the tag. Ibe tries. But he can't cross a ball. Rarely beats the first man.

Then the famous technicians. The number 10's. Who, apart from Coutinho, don't create anything and don't score anywhere near enough goals. Coutinho creates a bit, but that leads on to the forwards.

Who is there for him to play a little ball in behind the back four to? Firmino? He's shown glimpses. But he's not a natural striker. He largely plays the attacking role facing his own goal or dropping deep. Benteke? Nope. His movement is woeful. He's barely ever running in behind and causing trouble. Get him on the end of crosses? See the lack of wingers discussed above.

I think we might see a bit of improvement if Sturridge and Origi can stay fit. An added dimension to our attacking play. Pace. And a desire to run in behind. Hopefully their return will coincide with Coutinho's too and give him an option to play in.

But, the squad is utter filth. Particularly at the back and in midfield. I hope there's brutal carnage in the summer and that the squad is ripped apart. Mignolet, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas (alas), Milner, Lallana, Touré, Allen, Benteke and to a lower extent Can and Henderson. Would anybody shed a tear if they were all jibbed?

I wouldn't. There's been too many ridiculous errors, too many half arsed performances and not enough quality or balls from all of that shower for too long now.

And if they even think about not showing up mentally for the cup final, they need hunting down and stringing up. The bastards.

• Upvote 3

Given our complete inability to offer a threat at the sharp end of the pitch, both because of injuries and unsuitable and/or out of form players, it was a big mistake to not bring a striker in, even if on loan.

Just saw on the beeb gossip page (!) we missed Icardi on the last day of the window, but only because they didn't have time to find another striker. So frustrating if true.

Icardi's a bit of a wild card. Amazing poacher and his positioning is world class but his behaviour is erratic and he doesn't contribute much in terms of the build up. He'd be the type to either score 15-20 a season or to do nothing and feud constantly with the manager.

In other news, footballespana ‏@footballespana_

Late reports say #AtleticoMadrid have sold Jackson Martinez to Guangzhou Evergrande for €42m http://www.football-espana.net/56538...kson-guangzhou …

We will just buy him off Norwich for 20m after he has played about 3 decent games for them