You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Rubin Kazan 1 (Oct 22 2015)

tlw content

kazanreport1.jpg

That was a lot like the Sion game only a little bit worse because we were playing against ten men. Clearly it’s going to be a lot easier to implement the pressing game than it will be to get us scoring again. I don’t necessarily agree with Klopp’s take that “98% of this was ok” because I’d say that putting the ball in the net counts for more than 2% of a performance, but his overall point is fair.

A lot of what we did in the game was fine, but when you’re not finishing moves off either with a killer final ball or a shot on target then it’s easy to dismiss any other good stuff that is happening. Some of the approach play was good and I did feel like we played with more urgency than we had been under Rodgers, but the play in the final third wasn’t really good enough.

It’s been a problem for years really, when teams sit back on us and want to just defend, we have massive issues breaking them down. Klopp’s not going to just solve that in a week, so this shouldn’t really be too much of a surprise.

I’d say that there are mitigating circumstances for this one though, not least that Divock Origi just isn’t really up to the job at the moment. He might go on to be a really good player who “we can have a lot of fun with” but the drop off from Sturridge and Benteke to him is just too big right now.

The other issue is Coutinho. He’s not himself at all and hasn’t been for most of the season and given that he’s our most creative outlet then obviously that’s going to have an impact. We looked better when Benteke was on the pitch and we all know how much of a difference Sturridge makes on the rare occasions he decides to grace us with his presence, so there are reasons to be optimistic that the goals will start to come again.

The balance of the side looked quite good to me and they had very little trouble working the ball around up to the edge of the box, but when you don’t have a genuine goal threat as your main striker then it impacts everything else. Some of the approach play was actually very good, especially on the right flank where Clyne was bombing forward and linking well with Milner and Lallana.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that match reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

Couldn't agree more with that stupid small time guff every time Sakho got the ball. Awful stuff, cringe worthy. Then again we are in the age of joint match day scarfs now so we shouldn't expect anything different. Makes me long for the simple days of them stupid jester hats.

I did think Rubin were a better outfit on the night than Sion and well organised. Sion looked a shambles at the back and we should have filled our boots. 

We should have been beating both teams though with strong teams out, it's a joke how bad we've got in Europe. 

I think the most important thing in the Premier League is your strikers. The most important thing in Europe is often your midfield and ours just isn't up to scratch. Every year we've needed big investment in the midfield only for Rodgers to go out and insist on more number 10s. We're so one paced in there and it's a joke how much we still rely on Lucas. 

...when teams sit back on us and want to just defend, we have massive issues breaking them down.

It's probably the main reason why I've repeated on numerous transfer window threads that I think it's important to sign players from clubs who are used to facing stubborn opposition, team who like to park the bus and teams who like to sit deep and play on the counter. When you have a squad full of players with this sort of experience, I reckon it becomes easier for the manager to make the players believe they can still get a result from games, and that they can keep pushing to break the door down. Much more often than not, it will happen. Once this idea becomes ingrained in your squad, it's not an problem to add players from clubs who don't fit this profile because they have other players around them to ease that pressure and grow into their role.

Too often in the past, we've signed players from teams who don't take the initiative in games, and then wondered why these players are shit-to-inconsistent when we're supposedly trying to seize the initiative in games ourselves. The belief just isn't there because the know-how just isn't there.

We have gone a long way towards addressing that issue at management level, but Klopp and the club will need a few windows to hopefully correct this flaw and speed up the process of getting the team to reach the level where the fans want them to be.

• Upvote 1

The commentator last night said they'd brought just 20 fans (that's TWENTY, in true vidiprinter "yes you read that right" style), and that their match delegation of players, staff and officials outnumbered the fans by something like 3 to 1.

Incidentally, it's still not clear where the game in Kazan will take place. They still use their old stadium but there is a new stadium - built in the past couple of years - that is possibly going to be used. As with all new stadiums, a pitch is laid out, they play an exhibition match to inaugurate it, then promptly host concerts and other events that ruin the pitch. Then they lay a new pitch just a few weeks before a match is due to take place, and it ends up being too long, too dry and too bobbly. I'm expecting that to be the case in a fortnight.

I half agree with the song point, Dave.

There should be a song in reserve, but it's usually only when a player does something special that the song belts out.  For all his effort and some nice turns Lallana hasn't done anything special.

Songs are for exciting signings, who seem to get a free pass on the "special" criterion, or really take off when a player smashes a winner or scores a cracker.

Speaking of crackers, the old broken one looks like he IS going to cry off at the weekend.  That bruise on his knee must still be really smarting from the witchhazel.

Couldn't agree more with that stupid small time guff every time Sakho got the ball. Awful stuff, cringe worthy. Then again we are in the age of joint match day scarfs now so we shouldn't expect anything different. Makes me long for the simple days of them stupid jester hats.

Is this the 'beast' thing?

I was in the middle of The Kop the other night and didn't hear it, only read about it on here. I'm half deaf though and fucking stupid. It does sound extremely embarrassing though, what goes in in people's heads?

It's not a Suggs song, mate. His was a cover version.

Simon and Garfunkel wasn't it?

Anyway, I can see Cecilia as a fit for Lallana

La-lla-na

You're breaking my heart

With all of those pointless Cruyff turns

Oh La-lla-na

I'm begging you please

Why won't you just please pass or shoot

Or how about that White Stripes/Michael van Gerven one for Lallana or Firminho? Maybe a bit hackneyed, but at least it's a bit more modern than "here we go" or whatever.