You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Tax

Sugar Ape

You know what the government could do support healthy eating?

Force supermarkets to set up ugly fruit and veg isles.

Cheaper healthy food.

Also reduces waste and when sent to land fill food waste is one of the worst producers of green house gases.

Too fucking simple though.

Or just have a fat tax.

Usual bollocks. The media terrifies people into keeping their kids indoors for fear of rampaging paedophiles so they don't get any exercise, them bombards them with adverts for shite - to the point where even the likes of the world cup and Olympics are sponsored by McDonalds and coke - then blame people for being overweight and penalise them.

Good food should be subsidised by the government. If I forget my lunch I've got a choice of two pasties for a quid or a sandwich from boots which costs about eight grand. It should be the other way around.

Exactly. Weight is a political issue, the poor are disproportionately obese because guess what, vegetables and meats are expensive and require loads of effort to cook which they don't have after working shitty, low-paid, soul-sucking jobs. They then get hooked on sugar, simple carbs and fat which is hard for them to work off because they can't afford 24 hour gym memberships and all public parks have been sold off to property developers. 

• Upvote 2

The difference is that those three can easily cause harm to others, fatness not so much (not wearing a seatbelt is dangerous to others in the car).

Not in reply to rico.

Fuck off.

Why should I pay more for the odd bit of sugary food because fat cunts cant stop eating?

Or if fat fucks cant stop feeding their fat fucking kids.

Hey fatty, stop eating shit. Learn to cook, it really isn't difficult.

It is amazing that you can be prosecuted for over feeding a pet, but nothing happens to parents that let their child/children become fat/obese/diabetic.

Luckily I could never see the cunts (tories) go for it.

I'm still annoyed at lower salt/fat in foods, again because fat people cant control themselves.

Fatness is becoming an epidemic. Not nice to see (skin tight clothes......),not fun sitting next to on trains/planes. Why are your rolls touching me? Why do you make it so hard to change the pages of my book? And the smell, trains get hot; fat people generally sweat more.

There should be a normal seating area (normal as being fat is normal now} and an area for thin/athletic.

He first campaigns on all those things were based on injury to the person doing the boozing/smoking/drink driving , it was only later to get the last few % to partake that it became about injury to other people. Something needs to be done quickly or we'll end up like America.

I'd be more interested in knowing why it's America and Britain that have this problem and whether it's something to do with the fact we're the societies most likely to drop kick whole swathes of society to the financial scrap heap. Similar issue with binge drinking. These things are symptoms of something else. A lifestyle where you don't value taking time to enjoy a meal, or one that puts you in such despair that the highlight of your 40 hour week is a Chinese and bottle of wine in front of the telly.

I don't let my daughter drink fizzy drinks. Seems a bit harsh but drinkings for quenching thirst, keeping hydrated. No need for drinking bag after bag of sugar. Water, cordial or milk with dinner. She still gets sweets but only if she has eaten all her fruit and veg. She fucking loves fruit and veg so it's not a problem. Can't get enough broccoli, carrots, grapes, apples.

So they spent 30 or so years telling everyone fat was the enemy, offering all sorts of low fat shit while bumping up the carbs and sugar. 

Look at your town, we used to have one fast food eatery and two cafés, now there's a shit load of fast food eateries and 6 cafés. The supermarket is another example, aisles and aisles dedicated to shit food. Microwave crap, a thousand snacks, even seemingly healthy foods laced with sugar for the stupid. Weetabix with chocolate for fucks sake!

Along with this increasing madness has gone the waist size of the population. You used to have to travel to Florida to see the morbidly obese, now just a quick trip to town does the trick. Plump was a term for the middle aged and elderly. Now the large come in all ages, it saddens me to see young people with metabolisms racing at full speed failing to keep off the pounds, how are these poor souls going to cope when that slows to a crawl?

Yes we need some kind of punitive action to halt this crazy situation. Does anyone trust a bunch of lying thieving self serving greedy twats to control this? No me neither. But we do need action and as people are generally stupid and lazy we need it to be as punitive as possible. I agree with a tax on sugar, make it a heavy one. But in turn put a negative tax on healthy foods such as fruit and vegetables.

The problem is it's easier and cheaper to produce and sell the crap than it is to produce and sell healthier options. Add to this the ease of eating some of this crap as opposed to actually preparing a meal and you have a mighty problem. A sugar tax will help to solve some problems while creating many others. 

People are just so damned greedy now, portion control forgotten. things deemed a rare treat by me when I was young are now consumed on a daily basis or should that be an hourly basis by others. 

An average quite inactive person (so basically almost everyone) requires about 2400 calories a day to maintain that weight. Eating roughly 3500 extra calories a week (so 500 a day extra) can add one pound to your weight. So it's easy to see how someone could add 52lbs to their weight in a year just by having a few extra sugar products. 

Do I think anything we will do will solve the problem, no. People are as I said generally stupid and greedy. Food manufacturers and fast food eateries rely on this and are making a fortune from it. People are that stupid that they will eat themselves to death, while at the same time calling for laws to discourage anyone from commenting on their health, size and lifestyle. People with anorexia are taken for help, it's a very serious condition. The large by contrast are given mobility scooters, blue badges and left to gorge themselves to death. 

It's a fucked up world that would be best served by another extinction event and allowing a less destructive and evil creature to prosper. 

• Upvote 2

An obese population dies younger and the pension crisis is averted

THINK ABOUT IT

People live longer so they raise the retirement age, they increase taxes and lower allowances. Obese people require a lot of money when the related conditions kick in, I'm not sure they're actually saving much in the long run over a healthy population. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A bloke on radio 4 made the same point earlier, the government intervened on fags, drink driving and seat belts as it was killing too many people. What's the difference here?

The negative impact on other people.

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid when you were knocking around with your mates you always ate shite from coke to sweets, to chocolate to chips but in those days we actually had fields to play football on or cricket in the summer...But guess what there were still fat cunts in our class (or big boned as they used to say)....Kids eating shit is part of growing up...

I for one am sick of pudding face Oliver and his ilk who are financially well off pontificating to the country what you can and can't eat...This from a guy who slagged off the poor for buying ready meals and plasma TV's rather than going to Michelin star restaurants, had a go at young kids for not working 18 hour shifts unlike their foreign counterparts..(that is slave labour by the way Jamie).

Unfortunately Jamie the less money you have the less inclined you are to spend it on healthy (expensive) food.....Pity he doesn't weigh in to the debate about £12 billion pound welfare cuts that impact on you buying Puy lentils and Venison for tea

Guest Numero Veinticinco

See above

Doesn't change anything. There's a difference between people who work in public places getting exposed to carcinogens due to the actions of others, and somebody purchasing a surgery drink for their own consumption, with no idea of that person's needs or physical state.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Based on...?

My opinion of said people's propensity for crooked logic, confirmatory bias, and general inability to think critically.

I don't know how this myth that healthy food is expensive has arisen. You can eat very healthily very cheaply, so long as you're prepared to put a modicum of effort into preparation. The poorest people apparently are the ones without jobs, so they're certainly not short of the necessary time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Doesn't change anything. There's a difference between people who work in public places getting exposed to carcinogens due to the actions of others, and somebody purchasing a surgery drink for their own consumption, with no idea of that person's needs or physical state.

Tobacco and alcohol is already taxed to the hilt, I don't see a sugar tax as qualitatively different. The revenue would go to pay for the healthcare costs caused by their usage. Not saying I 100% support it, but the precedent already exists.

I don't know how this myth that healthy food is expensive has arisen. You can eat very healthily very cheaply, so long as you're prepared to put a modicum of effort into preparation. The poorest people apparently are the ones without jobs, so they're certainly not short of the necessary time.

This.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with the tax, but 'eating shit is part of growing up', well, isn't that kind of the problem? We need to educate everyone on the cost of eating shite. The effect it has on your body.

• Upvote 1

Drivel. Beans, rice and lentils are not a healthy diet. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Tobacco and alcohol is already taxed to the hilt, I don't see a sugar tax as qualitatively different. The revenue would go to pay for the healthcare costs caused by their usage. Not saying I 100% support it, but the precedent already exists.

I should very we hope a liberal wouldn't support it. That's why I was surprised to read that it didn't bother you.

I'm amazed by the turn around on this topic, me and stronts for it (him less so), the leftie nonces against it. I hope to see this strong stance on people taking responsibility for their own actions and not expecting the state to mollycoddle them carried through to other threads.

• Upvote 1