You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Tax

Sugar Ape

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

What a fucking stupid idea. Like you won’t  get fat if you eat it on the way the station or when you get off the train?

4A2EB360-1BD2-44ED-95B5-7E7C549491F2.png

Love the advert below

You are all too fat

Would you like some twiglets, mini chedders or cheese footballs

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
15 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Love the advert below

You are all too fat

Would you like some twiglets, mini chedders or cheese footballs

Get that Chief medical Officer Doctor Sally Davies blaming obesity in kids in conjunction with eating on public transport. Fuck off. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

People who leave discarded fast food packaging on buses and trains when they disembark, need their bollocks kicking up into their mouths, the scruffy cunts.

This would have been a more realistic line for her to use. 

Guest Pistonbroke

It's not where people eat junk food but the fact it's on tap these days, fast food joints on every street in big Cities. If you stop them eating on public transport they'll just use other places and times to do so. Maybes she should use her position to voice concerns about poverty and the amount of people relying on food banks, children having to rely on charities to eat during school holidays. Or maybe being as she's supposedly the 6th most influential woman in the UK and the most influential woman in the NHS she could voice her concerns about the NHS being in a shit state. 

14 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Get that Chief medical Officer Doctor Sally Davies blaming obesity in kids in conjunction with eating on public transport. Fuck off. 

Put the CMO on a train from Aberdeen to Penzance and see how she feels about her bright idea when she gets out at the other end

You're not stopping this obesity epidemic any time soon. A lot of the bad habits have been learned from generations before and there's no desire to spend the time fixing it. 20 years ago we were warned, 10 years ago and now there are more warnings. The answers it seems are bariatric hospital beds and ambulances and claims of fat shaming. There's even a fat acceptance movement. 

From the poor advice of the food pyramid to the greed of food producers, automation and both partners in relationships having to work instead of one cooking each day from scratch. A massive increase in fast food establishments and stores selling multi packs of crap cheaper all of the time. Selling sports fields of schools and of course cars. 

You could list hundreds of other reasons and most are not going away, so I don't think the threat of a sugar tax will solve anything. Companies will find alternatives, put more dangerous additives in our food to compensate and avoid the tax. 

If you want to eat healthily and lower your intake of sugar then it has to be something you decide to do and something you work at. 

Years ago the poorest people were thin and undernourished and now the poorest are obese and undernourished. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Elite said:

It costs a lot more to eat healthy, for the price of an avocado you can buy 5 jam donuts and 3 packs of custard creams.

Exactly. Went shopping today and bought 9 lamb shanks for Sunday dinner with family, some fresh herbs, cranberry's, Red Wine etc for the sauce to cook them in. Potatoes, Parsnips, Green beans and carrots for veg. Came to about 65€ for that lot, plus the daughter and MIl will be bringing stuff for afters which will probably cost another 25€. With a crate of beer and more wine you are looking at 30€. That's about 120€ for a nice family meal. Fuck me, I could have bought 9 Gyros Kebabs and chips for about 40€. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Exactly. Went shopping today and bought 9 lamb shanks for Sunday dinner with family, some fresh herbs, cranberry's, Red Wine etc for the sauce to cook them in. Potatoes, Parsnips, Green beans and carrots for veg. Came to about 65€ for that lot, plus the daughter and MIl will be bringing stuff for afters which will probably cost another 25€. With a crate of beer and more wine you are looking at 30€. That's about 120€ for a nice family meal. Fuck me, I could have bought 9 Gyros Kebabs and chips for about 40€. 

How big is your oven mate? 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

How big is your oven mate? 

Lamb Shanks get done on the hob mate, in the red Wine and Cranberry sauce I mentioned. Add Garlic, tomato paste, lamb stock, bay leafs, Salt and pepper. Slow cooked for about 4-5 hours on a very low heat. Lovely jubely. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Lamb Shanks get done on the hob mate, in the red Wine and Cranberry sauce I mentioned. Add Garlic, tomato paste, lamb stock, bay leafs, Salt and pepper. Slow cooked for about 4-5 hours on a very low heat. Lovely jubely. 

By oven I meant the whole unit. But yes thanks for making my mouth water. 

Guest Pistonbroke

By oven I meant the whole unit. But yes thanks for making my mouth water. 

Hahahaha. Just a normal Oven mate. If I'm doing a load of roast spuds/carrots and parsnips then I just use two trays and the fan assisted function. If I'm doing a roast joint as well then it gets a bit more complicated but I manage. All about timing and prep mate. A decent joint can stand for at least an hour wrapped in tin foil and cook further in its own juices, so just reduce the roasting time by about 20-30 minutes. Then you have the whole oven for the roasted stuff. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Hahahaha. Just a normal Oven mate. If I'm doing a load of roast spuds/carrots and parsnips then I just use two trays and the fan assisted function. If I'm doing a roast joint as well then it gets a bit more complicated but I manage. All about timing and prep mate. A decent joint can stand for at least an hour wrapped in tin foil and cook further in its own juices, so just reduce the roasting time by about 20-30 minutes. Then you have the whole oven for the roasted stuff. 

Sounds like you are challenging me to a roast off. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Sounds like you are challenging me to a roast off. 

I have a shit load of experience in cooking amte. After a while the kids (the two lads) grind you down though, picky fuckers. Cooking then becomes more of a chore/necessity than enjoying it. Always nice to have a big family get together to blow out the cobwebs and to strut your stuff. 

On 11/10/2019 at 10:06, Numero Veinticinco said:

When I saw that headline, I assumed it had something to do with hygiene. 

As if obesity is going to be slowed by measures like that. Fucking hell. 

Did you listen to her on desert island discs? 

I’d normally have taken the piss out of this too but she comes across extremely well, everything she recommends is backed by scientific evidence and nothing is a single proposal, everything is part of a much wider and comprehensive plan. 

I’d ban all eating on public transport, especially chewing gum.