You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best pubs you've been in??

Harry Squatter

The lamb and flag in london is ok - tucked away down a side street near covent garden, one of the oldest pubs in london.

also gordons wine bar in london, near charring cross station, a hidden gem.

Agreed.

The Bree Louise is great near Euston and The Rake by Southwark Market is also a gem.

I was back in Liverpool for a certain sporting event this weekend. The Bridewell (Titantic Plum Porter) and Brewdog were good. We got bit lost so went in The Shipping Forecast and were told it was a members bar. They obviously didn't like the look of us but let us in anyway.

In the centre of town I usually drink the northern end-ish, so Dr Duncs, The Ship &, The Vernon, The Lion, Rigby's etc plus some others mentioned above.

In London I'll always make time for a pint on Havestock Hill in a boozer the called the Sir Richrad Steel. Decor is quirky and different and the ale is sound, and if you are down there, try the Camden Hells, proper sound lager. Camden is badly played out now for me, even the Hawley Arms which used to be sound, is now a bad posers place. 

In the centre of town I usually drink the northern end-ish, so Dr Duncs, The Ship &, The Vernon, The Lion, Rigby's etc plus some others mentioned above.

In London I'll always make time for a pint on Havestock Hill in a boozer the called the Sir Richrad Steel. Decor is quirky and different and the ale is sound, and if you are down there, try the Camden Hells, proper sound lager. Camden is badly played out now for me, even the Hawley Arms which used to be sound, is now a bad posers place.

Richard Steele is good, quite often go there before gigs in the Roundhouse. Decent food too.

Ok so we've had the roughest pub thread telling us what places to avoid and what places to go for a bit of violent entertainment. However, what pubs would you recommend, either where you live or where you have visited whilst away from home?

Some good ones in town, the Fly in the Loaf, Philharmonic, Ye Cracke and the Freshfield in Formby. The Fishermans Rest in Birkdale is nice. even though it's a Wetherspoons the new one in Lime Street station has been done out really well.

Went to a decent Micro pub in Crosby called the Corner Post on Friday. The Pioneer bar is decent too.

Anyone got any decent recommendations for London boozers which are non pound in the pint glass stripper places?

I can recommend a few:

The Harp in Covent Garden (WC2N 4HS) - cracking real ale pub. Formerly a free house, now owned by Fullers - thankfully they've not interfered with the guest ale policy. 

The Cittie of Yorke, High Holborn (WC1V 6BN) - incredible interior in this place, the main bar looks like a great timber hall. Owned by Sam Smiths brewery so you can only get their ale, but the Old Brewery Bitter is decent. Also look out for Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street (EC4A 2BU) - the ground floor bar and dining room are genuinely 'olde worlde' and are a must if you're into historic boozers.

The Southampton Arms, Kentish Town (NW5 1LE) - probably my favourite London boozer at the moment. A superb range of ales and ciders with top-notch pies, Scotch eggs and roast meat sarnies on the bar snacks menu.

The Ship, Wardour Street (W1F 0TT) - my favourite Soho boozer. Full range of Fuller's ales are served and there's a wide and eclectic range of music played on the pub sound system.

Craft Beer Co, Clerkenwell (EC1N 7TR) - great range of cask ales and the more trendy craft stuff.

I could waffle on for ages on this subject, but that's enough for starters.  

• Upvote 2

That new wetherspoons on lime St is quite good, also like to call in the globe.Not many decent pubs down here though so like to get up as often as possible and walk around town and always call in the globe and sometimes that one in school lane the Post Office ? was OK last time , but there's plenty I haven't been in named on here though will pay a visit next time to some.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

The Bree Louise is great near Euston and The Rake by Southwark Market is also a gem.

I was back in Liverpool for a certain sporting event this weekend. The Bridewell (Titantic Plum Porter) and Brewdog were good. We got bit lost so went in The Shipping Forecast and were told it was a members bar. They obviously didn't like the look of us but let us in anyway.

Favourite near Euston is the Crown and Anchor, just round the corner from the Bree Louise on Drummond St, which has a great beer selection and is also right next to Ravi Shankars, a fantastic veggie curry house. A required stop before the train home

Last year went up with landlord of my local of sorts down here and another , they were well impressed by the globe a real pub in every sense though it can get a bit tight for room. Decent service and always ask about the old fellah who was a regular until age caught up. I quite like the old sounds that get played too, always enjoy a few there .

Hoping to get up before Xmas if not over the Xmas as we did two years ago staying in the premiere on Vernon St, but on Xmas day we went to the White star on Mathew St which was good but stayed in hotel on the night as we were unaware of a pub open round the corner off Dale St with music on. apparently , never been in there . So if anyone knows of anywhere open in town on Xmas day/ night be grateful for any info in case I'm up then , cheers.

I can recommend a few:

The Harp in Covent Garden (WC2N 4HS) - cracking real ale pub. Formerly a free house, now owned by Fullers - thankfully they've not interfered with the guest ale policy. 

The Cittie of Yorke, High Holborn (WC1V 6BN) - incredible interior in this place, the main bar looks like a great timber hall. Owned by Sam Smiths brewery so you can only get their ale, but the Old Brewery Bitter is decent. Also look out for Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street (EC4A 2BU) - the ground floor bar and dining room are genuinely 'olde worlde' and are a must if you're into historic boozers.

The Southampton Arms, Kentish Town (NW5 1LE) - probably my favourite London boozer at the moment. A superb range of ales and ciders with top-notch pies, Scotch eggs and roast meat sarnies on the bar snacks menu.

The Ship, Wardour Street (W1F 0TT) - my favourite Soho boozer. Full range of Fuller's ales are served and there's a wide and eclectic range of music played on the pub sound system.

Craft Beer Co, Clerkenwell (EC1N 7TR) - great range of cask ales and the more trendy craft stuff.

I could waffle on for ages on this subject, but that's enough for starters.  

Nice place

Just round the corner from The Griffin which has also received a mention but for different reasons

Favourite near Euston is the Crown and Anchor, just round the corner from the Bree Louise on Drummond St, which has a great beer selection and is also right next to Ravi Shankars, a fantastic veggie curry house. A required stop before the train home

Bit of digression here, but I really love Diwana (also a veggie curry house) on Drummond st as my essential pre/post train grub. Cheap, unlicensed so you can bring your own beer and fucking tasty. I might try Ravi Shankar's if I can bring myself not to go to Diwana next time.

The Steeles was my my Mum's local from when when I was about 10 and then became my local until my early 20s and was a fantastic pub with great music, barstaff and regulars with a mix of celebrities thrown in (still dream of when I went and had a chat to Ronnie out of Eastenders and Nicola Appleton out of All Saints...). My mum still lives in the area and says it was bought by new owners who turned it into a bit of a shithole, full of cokeheads and all the sound regulars have left. I've not been for years, and imagine that if they've not changed the décor etc, it would still be a good place to go if you are passing by, but perhaps not quite as good as it used to be for a regular drink.

There's also the possibility my mum is just getting old and doesn't like change...

• Upvote 1

Camden is badly played out now for me, even the Hawley Arms which used to be sound, is now a bad posers place.

Bought my first lsd at the Hawley Arms. Also got stitched up there trying to buy some for the first time soon afterwards...

I think it became Amy Winehouse's regular pub, so not surprising the posers found there way.

I'm sure I would hate Camden now, but I used to love it when I was 16 going on pub crawls and getting lashed at what I thought at the time were all these really cool pubs. I was defo one of those lary little dicks that I would despise now