You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best pubs you've been in??

Harry Squatter

I'll go most places on a night out, but my heart settles on places that feel like they're hewn from ancient timbers and that no-one ever feels the need to leave. A few of my favourites around Leeds: 

The North Bar & Sela Bar - next door to each other, both do fantastic beer and cocktails Sela Bar does really good pizza too. I've been going to North Bar since 1999 - it's barely changed and it just just a bang-on mix of modern bar and classic boozer. Was doing craft ales when most hipsters were shitting yellow.

The Regent, Chapel Allerton - despite being a Barrass Pub- is a proper boozer and as close to Orwell's 'The Moon Under Water' as you can get - and shows the footy without descending into a divvy hell-hole.

The Jacob's Well, Bradford - Great little boozer tucked in by the ring road. Don't let that put you off. The beer selection is outstanding and the staff are ace. got that 'Old Bradford' feel that's increasingly rare in town these days.

The Fighting Cock, Bradford - Same folk run it as Jacob's Well. Spartan old boozer you could spend all night in. Well, you have to really, there's fuck all else for miles around. Makes for a proper session.

Honourable mentions to The Head of Steam at Huddersfield and Sheffield.

The Castle in Tooting is worth a visit if you're in S.London

I used to live in Streatham up until a year ago, and I never made it there, but if you're in that neck of the woods then I really recommend the Earle Ferrers in Streatham, one of the best 'local' pubs I've been to in London for a long time. Its small, but its not on a main road or even a road which has much passing traffic, so the only people there are people who live near by, or who have been told about it/have found out about it and specifically gone there. There's a pool table, darts board, think they even had one of them little space invaders tables when I last went, various themed nights and the play good music. Food was decent as well

The Purple Turtle in Reading. Spent a whole saturday in there when I was meant to be at Reading festival. Only popped into town that morning for a shit and a brekkie. Went in there for a quick pint, left 7 hours later. Took a few lads off here after reading away a few years ago. Matty Q shit himself when two lesbians sat near us.

Hahaha

That was a good laugh apart from the walk back from The Madjeski in the pouring rain

It was also the day that the awful truth about Turdeye's kecks was revealed

Hahaha

That was a good laugh apart from the walk back from The Madjeski in the pouring rain

It was also the day that the awful truth about Turdeye's kecks was revealed

Stig was hanging when we came out of there.  That was the day the awful truth about him being a lightweight was revealed.

Stig was hanging when we came out of there. That was the day the awful truth about him being a lightweight was revealed.

I turned up that morning hanging from the night before then drank all day and ended up going strong till 4am sunday morning. Your the one I ran past in the station holding yourself still !

Not a massive fan of pubs in all honesty, my favourite are the type where you can get a seat and have a good selection of beers rather than 'lads' pubs or food pubs. 

A personal favourite is the Ferry Tavern in Penketh, right by the river and a canal, it's a glorious place to sit off with a beer in the summer. 

I like the Ship and Mitre in town.

The Dolphin in old Portsmouth is a brilliant pub. Take the dog in there at least once a fortnight for a few quiet pints. Also the Apsley in southsea. Perfect little pub. Tucked away, pool table, never too busy, clean and a good juke box.

The Swan in Wood Street.

Other than that Het Elfde Gebot (The 11th Commandment) in Amsterdam near Centraal. No English loonies, apart from me, brilliant selection of Belgian beers and the lovely surroundings of an old chapel, with stained glass and old musical instruments.

Repped for being in Amsterdam and having some taste. I like De Zotte in Amsterdam myself. Boss beer including some they make themselves, friendly barmaids, good music and a pub cat.

If you like punk rock the best two bars in Amsterdam are the Minds and the Soundgarden.

Brilliant if you like your lager to taste like piss.

Round here the Ship and Mitre takes some beating. Lady of Mann is also good. Had some greats in the original Jac.

The lager in The Croc isn't that bad. Granted, it's better elsewhere. I like the selection and quality in The Ship and Mitre myself, but there's not much in terms of atmosphere going on. Loads of old blokes sitting round talking about Cherry Bishops Cockwomble etc.

Not a bad boozer. However, The Croc is boss. No heirs and graces. A nice outdoor bit, a friendly and quality atmosphere and The Baby Croc across the courtyard if you're feeling a bit classy. For a pub that's always fairly crammed with lads, including a fairly scall contingent, the atmosphere is surprisingly peaceful and there's rarely any trouble.

I like the Cornmarket too. Big, mansize, comfy armchairs and a roaring fire for the winter and a nice outdoor bit for the summer too.

The lager in The Croc isn't that bad. Granted, it's better elsewhere. I like the selection and quality in The Ship and Mitre myself, but there's not much in terms of atmosphere going on. Loads of old blokes sitting round talking about Cherry Bishops Cockwomble etc.

Not a bad boozer. However, The Croc is boss. No heirs and graces. A nice outdoor bit, a friendly and quality atmosphere and The Baby Croc across the courtyard if you're feeling a bit classy. For a pub that's always fairly crammed with lads, including a fairly scall contingent, the atmosphere is surprisingly peaceful and there's rarely any trouble.

I like the Cornmarket too. Big, mansize, comfy armchairs and a roaring fire for the winter and a nice outdoor bit for the summer too.

Cornmarket does good lunchtime food, bit like a dinner centre but at least you don't have to wait all your lunch our for it.

The Exchange pub in Old Hall Street could be decent if a bit of money was spent on it. Don't think the owner is arsed though.

Don't mind the Railway pub but I always find the service in there to be shite. The lunchtime food is always slow and the bar staff never serve anyone in order.

Ma Boyles down the side of Reliance House is good after it had a bit of renovation. Rights and the Lady of Mann are really good in the summer. The Excelsior is good to watch a certain spherical sport in.

The Pen and Wig smells of disinfectant. Apart from the lager the Croc is a great little pub I suppose, particularly on Fridays. The Vernon is also a great boozer.

Spot on,that lloyds in St johns stinks of shite it smelt better when it was the pet shop,the Vernon's a good shout and I forgot to put in the Lion on Titebarn St good little boozer.

Repped for being in Amsterdam and having some taste. I like De Zotte in Amsterdam myself. Boss beer including some they make themselves, friendly barmaids, good music and a pub cat.

If you like punk rock the best two bars in Amsterdam are the Minds and the Soundgarden.

I am in the Dam in a couple of weeks or so I will check them out