You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best pubs you've been in??

Harry Squatter

Ok so we've had the roughest pub thread telling us what places to avoid and what places to go for a bit of violent entertainment. However, what pubs would you recommend, either where you live or where you have visited whilst away from home?

Some good ones in town, the Fly in the Loaf, Philharmonic, Ye Cracke and the Freshfield in Formby. The Fishermans Rest in Birkdale is nice. even though it's a Wetherspoons the new one in Lime Street station has been done out really well.

Went to a decent Micro pub in Crosby called the Corner Post on Friday. The Pioneer bar is decent too.

Anyone got any decent recommendations for London boozers which are non pound in the pint glass stripper places?

The Highlander in Paderborn Germany when I was based over there in the Army, was full of German birds who loved British squaddies. On a Friday and Sat night the whole pub would be singing along to whatever song the DJ would put on, ale was cheap and the food they layed on was boss.

The Castle in Tooting is worth a visit if you're in S.London, The Punch and Judy in Covent Garden on the balcony during the day is a must visit, get to watch all the busker acts.

Another good London pub is The Pear Tree. It might be in the slightly la-di-da area of Hammersmith, but the ambience is definitely not middle class. It's also behind a hospital (!) - Charing Cross - and not far from Queen's Club, the tennis venue.

Moral of the tale - in central London there are some good pubs near the hospitals. Handy for if you get paralytic I'm sure.

For me a good pub has the following.

Pool table

Darts board

Juke box

Your mates and a few other nice locals who will wanna get involved in the night.

It can't go wrong- that pub could be anywhere and as long as it has that you will have a banging night. Give me a real pub over some shitty club any day of the week.

• Upvote 1

The Purple Turtle in Reading. Spent a whole saturday in there when I was meant to be at Reading festival. Only popped into town that morning for a shit and a brekkie. Went in there for a quick pint, left 7 hours later. Took a few lads off here after reading away a few years ago. Matty Q shit himself when two lesbians sat near us.

• Upvote 2

I fucking hate some of these modern pubs in London, shit expensive posh food, no tele's, no Juke box, no pool tables or fuck all they're popping up everywhere.

Pub down the bottom refuses to play footy but puts all the Rugby on, had a sign outside during the World cup last year saying 'Football free zone' snoby cunts!

I fucking hate some of these modern pubs in London, shit expensive posh food, no tele's, no Juke box, no pool tables or fuck all they're popping up everywhere.

Pub down the bottom refuses to play footy but puts all the Rugby on, had a sign outside during the World cup last year saying 'Football free zone' snoby cunts!

At least they warn you that the place is going to be full of cunts.

• Upvote 1

Belushi's,newquay,red lion newquay,sailors arms newquay,golden lion port Isaac,old custom house padstow,golden lion padstow,London inn padstow .great pubs all frequented last week,saw off large quantities of proper job and tribute ale.met the crew of the port Isaac life boat on a stag night in padstow on Saturday night,great lads.support the RNLI !

Belushi's,newquay,red lion newquay,sailors arms newquay,golden lion port Isaac,old custom house padstow,golden lion padstow,London inn padstow .great pubs all frequented last week,saw off large quantities of proper job and tribute ale.met the crew of the port Isaac life boat on a stag night in padstow on Saturday night,great lads.support the RNLI !

Had some memorable nights in Sailors in Newquay.

Ohh er missus..

• Upvote 1

There's a boozer I've used regularly on my holiday travels over the last 30 years, on the outskirts of a gorgeous little seaside town called Sidmouth. The Balfour. It's actually supposed to be one of the roughest around that area. Rough around that way = very nice everywhere else! Its ace, a skittle alley, friendly locals, pool tables, dart board, roaring log fire, piano. Brilliant beer garden with BBQ nights. Love it

There's a boozer I've used regularly on my holiday travels over the last 30 years, on the outskirts of a gorgeous little seaside town called Sidmouth. The Balfour. It's actually supposed to be one of the roughest around that area. Rough around that way = very nice everywhere else! Its ace, a skittle alley, friendly locals, pool tables, dart board, roaring log fire, piano. Brilliant beer garden with BBQ nights. Love it

Nice town, Sidmouth. Used to play cricket there several times a year, really picturesque ground.