You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neville and Giggs - good deed.

stringvest

I stand corrected. My apologies, that's what happens when you combine ignorance and prejudice.

Wasn't having a pop at you by the way mate, just thought I'd add some context.  Only reason I know anything about the specifics of this is that I work in Manchester.  Well technically Salford but literally 100 yards over the Irwell which is the boundary, most people would call it Manchester city centre.

Homelessness is a very difficult issue and there aren't many simple solutions because often the lack of a roof over their head isn't the central problem in these people's lives, it's just the most immediate one.  One thing I always try to keep in mind is that every homeless person has a story that explains how they ended up where they are now and what's shocking is how often it starts with a situation we can identify with directly, either through having been in it ourselves or knowing people who have been in it; unemployment, a relationship ending, a period of depression or other mental difficulty etc.  An unusually high proportion of them are ex-servicemen and women who faced problems with adapting when leaving the highly structured life that the military provides and returning to civvy street.

Some of us get the breaks we need to avoid our story ending that way.  We have a bit of luck when we most need it, we have a decent support network around us, family and friends who we can lean on in hard times.  Often that's the only significant difference between us and the people who will be kipping on the concrete again tonight.

Knowing that they have somewhere dry to sleep, where they won't wake up at 3am to find a bunch of arseholes who've just rolled out of a club pissing on them, or kicking fuck out of them for a laugh, or setting fire to their sleeping bag and so on might give some of them the small amount of security they need to be able to think about addressing some of the background issues that are preventing them from making more long-lasting changes in their lives.

Many won't of course and will still be in the same situation come February but given that I was reading this week that we're due the coldest winter since 2010 this year (I live about 7 miles north of Manchester and we hit -18 degrees one day in 2010) at least this probably reduced the chances that the council will be chipping frozen corpses off the pavement after Christmas.  I'm sure there's a much better chance that some of these people will eventually turn their lives around if they're actually still alive.

• Upvote 5

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Yeah great kick them out in Mid February when its bloody freezin!!

A real good dead would be to delay the builder until about May...plus it would be a bloody sight easier to get them out in May too!

Yeah great kick them out in Mid February when its bloody freezin!!

A real good dead would be to delay the builder until about May...plus it would be a bloody sight easier to get them out in May too!

Bravo. Thought no-one was going to go for the petty and weak criticism option but you nailed it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

"petty" try being turfed out your "abode" in the bleak mid winter in the freezing North of England by two multi-millionaires who got their cash by playing a game of football!!

Then say "petty"...

Pretty serious shit you ask me!

• Upvote 1

I see where you're coming from, and to be fair to Ratty he has said he'll try to help them find alternate accomodation come February, but at the end of the day, they're not responsible for Manchester's homeless population any more than we are. Maybe we should all do more to lobby Manchester City Council to sort their shit out. The problem there is so prolific now, more in your face than in Liverpool or even London. It's a fucking travesty, and we should all do our bit.

• Upvote 1

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Thing is some people refuse help and end up on the streets because in some weird way thats the way they want to live their lives....ok so you may not be given a "dez rez" but councils do everything they can to help from hostels to paying for folk to stay in Travel Inns etc plus there are organisations such as the YMCA that do loads to help these people..

I don't get it myself i mean i can't for the life of me imagine not having a ceiling bewteen me and the stars at the end of the working day, but for some reason others feel different..

Mad i know!

Thing is some people refuse help and end up on the streets because in some weird way thats the way they want to live their lives....ok so you may not be given a "dez rez" but councils do everything they can to help from hostels to paying for folk to stay in Travel Inns etc plus there are organisations such as the YMCA that do loads to help these people..

I don't get it myself i mean i can't for the life of me imagine not having a ceiling bewteen me and the stars at the end of the working day, but for some reason others feel different..

Mad i know!

That's just what the Daily Mail would have you believe. There are homeless charities in London that are so stretched they've resorted to giving people an all-day bus ticket, so they can ride the buses through the night. At least they'll be warm and dry, but there is nowhere to put them.

Many homeless won't use hostels because they get robbed and beaten up in them. They prefer to live on the streets with their homeless friends who have their backs. Some hostels will only let them stay for a night or two, and they have to find the money to pay for them first. They're not gifted help on a plate. Like any service, you need to have the tenacity and the mental capacity to fight for help these days. Often these poor people have neither.

• Upvote 4

The homeless situation in Manchester is fucking chronic.  I've lived in the city centre for the past 11 years and where I used to see four or five homeless people during a walk across the city it's now about 40 or 50. 

The way the council has treated them is a fucking disgrace.  A fucking labour council as well!

• Upvote 2

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Not a lot upsets me more in modern society than to see someone huddled up against a door way...

2015 and we are supposed to be a super power country and we have folk with no roof over their heads..

to be honest i hate living in the era we are forced to exist in...its vile!

• Upvote 1

Fair play to them, I don't think it is a publicity stunt, they've always seemed relatively down to earth fellas.

It's kind of ironic though, not that this is their fault, but they are part of the 1%, they're partly what symbolises how mad our economic model is. Fellas earning hundreds of thousands a week while other people traipse around Amazon warehouses with pedometers implanted up their arse.

To be fair, a few of the Manc's ex players do seem sound enough. Wouldn't let giggsy anywhere near my wife though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm all for a bit of Manc bashing (the fucking cunts) but Neville in particular should be commended here.

Good gesture. Plus, as someone said, it's not a case of doing nothing, just letting them stay there, and not chucking them out. Just reading that Neville has paid out of his own pocket for temporary improvements to make the building habitable, toilets and showers etc, as well as having catering staff from his hotel visit the premises every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to ensure that the homeless folks there are getting a hot an nutritious meal a few times a week.

I suppose Neville has decided to do this as he has compassion for the homeless, plus developing cordial relationships with the people staying there makes it more likely that they'll move on without a fuss when they're asked to and won't trash the place while staying there.