You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp interview / press conference thread

Arl arse

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says anyone celebrating Kevin De Bruyne injury is an 'a**hole'

Klopp isn't celebrating the injury of Manchester City's star man

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-says-15044304

Jurgen Klopp believes Manchester City have enough quality to cope without Kevin De Bruyne and labelled anyone celebrating the long-term injury of the Belgium playmaker as an "a**hole".

The City playmaker suffered a knee injury in training earlier this week and is expected to be sidelined for close to three months.

De Bruyne won City's in-house Player of the Year award last term after just falling short in the PFA stakes to Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and the absence of the talented attacking midfielder could be keenly felt by the Premier League champions.

It has been seen by some as good news for Liverpool as they look to usurp Pep Guardiola's side as champions this term, but Klopp dismissed the idea that a lengthy injury to one of English football's leading lights is cause for celebration from a Reds perspective.

And the Liverpool manager was critical of anyone who took pleasure in seeing an injury to De Bruyne, when talking to Sky Sports.

"I think somebody who thinks like that, about a situation like that, is an a**hole, to be honest," said Klopp .

"I am not like that. First of all, I wish him the absolute very best. I love this player, I wanted him desperately when I was at Dortmund and he was at Chelsea, but Jose (Mourinho) didn't give him to me!"

De Bruyne, who was eliminated from the World Cup at the semi-final stage with Belgium, didn't feature in City's 2-0 victory over Arsenal last week and Klopp believes Guardiola's squad are more than capable of coping without last season's assist king.

He added: "What a season he had, what a World Cup he played. I really feel for him.

"They have options of course, like they always have options, they brought in Riyad Mahrez, but they can all play in different positions.

"Bernardo Silva can play a bit deeper, (Phil) Foden can play in positions, (Ilkay) Gundogan can play in positions.

"Nobody needs to worry about Man City and their quality, there is still a lot there. We don't look at the other teams, we really only try to make the best of our situation, and that will hopefully work."

• 2 weeks later...

Jürgen Klopp wants Liverpool to become ‘ugliest team’ to play against

•  Manager praises side’s ‘greed’ and ‘aggression’ in flying start 
  • Xherdan Shaqiri could make first start against Southampton

Jürgen Klopp believes Liverpool’s 100% start to the season has been fuelled by a desire to be the ugliest opponent in the Premier League.

Liverpool made it six wins out of six with victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League and can return to the Premier League summit on Saturday with a seventh consecutive triumph, against Southampton. The Liverpool manager, who could give Xherdan Shaqiri his full debut against Mark Hughes’ side, insists his team are too busy to feel the momentum building at Anfield and that only silverware will confirm it has substance. But they are succeeding, Klopp claims, in making life as uncomfortable as possible for every opponent.

“We don’t feel that [momentum] to be honest because we play, analyse, prepare; play, analyse, prepare and that is it,” he said. “Maybe it’s because all the jobs are so difficult. There is no game where we have thought: ‘Thank God we have played them.’ None of the results we have this season would have been possible without the greed you have seen or without the aggression you see. No chance.

“We didn’t win anything so far – not in the past and not this season – so let’s use the momentum and create a new momentum. We really want to be the ugliest team to play against. That is the plan, and to do it with good football players. The best news I have had in the last two weeks is how we have changed or reinvented again our defensive skills. We didn’t need them too much in the first few games – it was not that we didn’t have to defend but they were different games. Against Tottenham and Paris I loved how we did it. We still played good football and that was a really big step in the season so far.”

Shaqiri is yet to start for Liverpool following his summer move from Stoke City but, after three impressive substitute appearances, is in contention for a debut. Klopp said: “He is very positive, not only from the performances but as a guy in the dressing room. Everyone loves Shaq, that is how it is – and without playing plenty of minutes. That is more my mistake than his. He has done everything to play. I made different decisions but his time will come, that is for sure.”

Roberto Firmino is fit to start having fully recovered from an eye problem while Klopp has insisted there are no concerns over the form of Mohamed Salah, who has not scored in his past three games. “It is much too early to be thinking about something like that and making a big thing of it,” Klopp said of Salah’s goals return.

“Last year he had three in six, this year two in six. Yes, there were a few chances where he could have scored. At Tottenham he sprinted on to the backpass but the dry pitch made the ball not roll like he was expecting. He was then too close to the ball. If he is a little bit further on, he shoots in the bottom corner. Last year he missed chances.

“It’s much too early to talk to him constantly about what and when and stuff like that. So long as he is working as he is in this moment, everything will be fine. Will it be 40 goals at the end of the season? Nobody knows.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/21/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-xherdan-shaqiri

• Upvote 1

Jurgen Klopp says it’s a huge lift to see Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain back around the first-team squad and says Dejan Lovren is almost fit.

Klopp revealed Lovren, who has yet to feature in a Liverpool match-day squad after returning from the World Cup with a hip problem, is edging closer to full fitness.

“Dejan is close. He looks really fit. He did a lactate test last week so fitness-wise he is – for his situation – on a really OK level,” said Klopp at his news conference ahead of Saturday’s Anfield date with Southampton.

“He is not for the squad for the weekend, of course, but we will see how soon we can try to involve him again.”

On the injury front, Dominic Solanke, Divock Origi and Adam Lallana are on their way back.

“Dom trains today, (for the) first time after his concussion. Divock tried yesterday but still when he changes direction is aware of (the injury). I think, maybe, Sunday (will be) his first session with the team.

“Adam gets closer and closer. He’s still doing his rehab work but out on the pitch and all that stuff so he is not too far away from the team, for sure.”

Liverpool midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has kicked a ball for the first time after knee surgery last April.

“Ox is a different situation but it’s so nice to have Ox around,” added Klopp.

“We are really waiting for him without making pressure on him and we know that it will take a long time but he will always be a very important part of the squad because of the guy he is.

“I have said it a few times, I knew he was a good footballer when we signed him but I could never have imagined what an outstanding person he is. He’s a big miss for us.”