You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp interview / press conference thread

Arl arse

The Reds exited the competition at the semi-final stage as Shane Long’s stoppage-time strike added to the one-goal advantage the Saints secured in the first meeting at St Mary’s and ultimately sent them into the Wembley final next month.

Nevertheless, Klopp insisted there were positives to look upon from his side’s overall performance on the night - in which Emre Can and Daniel Sturridge both went close to netting in the second period - though he acknowledged his frustration at the final outcome.

Read on for a transcript of the manager’s post-match press conference.

On his reaction to Liverpool’s defeat and elimination…

I’m disappointed, there’s big disappointment. First of all, big congratulations to Southampton - they won both legs so deserve to go to the final, but I think especially in the game tonight we could have won [the tie], that’s why I am disappointed. First half, it was difficult - the wind was really strange, it was difficult to handle. You saw one or two balls when the ball stopped in a moment when nobody knew about it. That was difficult for a football-playing side. The plan of Southampton was counter-attacking, which they did really well. In the first half, one or two counter-attacks could have been defended better and we should not be in one-on-one situations with Redmond, but all the rest was good play of Southampton.

In the second half we did it much better, we played football and one or two better passes in the right spaces [meant] we created outstanding chances. Against a side like Southampton playing like this, creating these big chances is really difficult but we did it. We all know, usually we score in situations like this, but we didn’t and that’s what we have to accept. It doesn’t say anything about the performance, it only says everything about the result.

We are out and we have to accept it. For me as a coach, it is very important to know about the performance and I will not ignore this, but in this moment I am of course disappointed because we would have deserved to win the game tonight. If this would have been enough [to go through to the final], I have no idea. We have to congratulate Southampton and we wish them all the best.

On Liverpool’s performance on the night…

The performance was absolutely OK – we created the chances. Now everybody wants to say, ‘but you didn’t score’ and that’s right, absolutely right. But for me as a coach, it is very important the way we choose to create chances and that was absolutely OK. The first half was not bad, but it was quite a test, similar to Swansea – dominant, dominant, dominant but no goal. We didn’t lose our nerve,we stuck to our usual plan, did a little bit better in one or two moments [in the second half] and immediately we had bigger chances. That was good, but in the end we are out and lost both legs, and I think nobody will talk about this for a long time. For us, the performance is really important and I am fine with this, but I would actually like to be speaking about planning the final and not the performance. We are on the wrong side of the semi-final.

On the challenge of playing against teams who defend deep and look to counter…

For me as a coach it’s not that difficult because we have other situations – you can win the ball back and different things. We are not the only team in the world that has to do this. Not every team is playing like this [against Liverpool] but quite a lot, we spoke about it – 70, 80 per cent of the games are like this, we knew it before so it’s not a problem. But we still adapt to it, 100 per cent. We did it. You have to score in this or that situation then the game changes a little bit, not against each team, but a few teams are happy with only being one-nil down or whatever.

We don’t have to think about this, it’s the most difficult thing in football but we are not the only team who has to accept this. We are a good football-playing side. Southampton usually play completely differently. If they always played like this they would probably have a few points more because their counter-attacking was really good, and defending with a little bit of luck.

Creating chances against a team like this, that’s really not easy but we did it so that’s good, and then you have to score. That’s all. It didn’t happen tonight, but that’s not a problem in general, it’s only a problem for tonight.

On whether he has concerns there will be a hangover from this result…

No, absolutely not. Absolutely not. I said something like this a second ago [in another interview], if we would doubt the way we are after these little, little problems we’ve had now, it would really be a strange thing. We are absolutely in the situation – we don’t have the points we want, that’s not the problem, that’s how it is. We know what we want to do, we know what we have to do and we know about the football we want to play, so that’s all good. There are times it didn’t happen, but tonight it was a really good performance in difficult circumstances. I said a few times when I came here about the wind and everybody was laughing, but today was really difficult, really difficult to play football with this wind. I am fine with this [performance] but disappointed about being out.

On Philippe Coutinho’s contract renewal…

The two sides made a big statement - the club and Phil. A player who obviously everybody in the world would like to have in their team says, in this situation, that he wants to stay here. For us, that’s unbelievably important. He is not the only player we want to keep! But you write more about it than we can say about it, that everybody wanted him and whatever, and that was obviously true because nobody in football is that blind that you cannot see how big his qualities are. We will carry on in this way with the players we want to keep and all that stuff, and that will happen in the next few months and years, because the base is really good here and so Phil is the first to show that he thinks the same.

He is right to call out the bad decisions and the fact that huge officiating blunders are made every week in the PL but no-one takes accountability.

The FA never take responsibility for poor officiating. Instead they introduce schemes which try to divert attention or paper over the cracks, such as 'Respect' - where players are asked to respect the bad decsion makers.

For maybe the first time I dont think he is giving a correct and honest assessment of the game. Previously he's been honest about substandard performances. Which is clearly what we witnessed today. I would say the last half hour was average to half decent, except for the finishing. The first 50-60 minutes was really poor.

Agreed.

I like Klopp,but that was a very poor post match interview. Blaming the ref, the wind and Southampton being defensive. He said only one team trying to play football-that was very disrespectful to Southampton who well deserved to go through over both legs.In fact,you could argue they were the team playing football.

He was honest enough after the first leg to say that they were lucky to only being one down-he should have been honest enough to admit they were the better side overall.

Maybe he should look at his own team selection,tactics and substitutions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We were lucky not to concede about 6 goals over the two legs.

I've never known a manager call out the fans so often.

I think he was given or under the impression that Anfield had an atmosphere that it hasn't had for many years when he was offered the job. Yes, we can have nights like it used to be from time to time, but it's not the nature of the crowd nowadays to be loud and intimidating.

Having said that, its a two way street

Our famous atmosphere is based mostly on European nights - not bread and butter games against Plymouth, Southampton and Swansea. It's alright in Germany - tickets cost tuppence and you can booze in the stands. It's different here - you've paid £40/50 quid for a ticket, you get a lot of tourists and daytrippers who don't get involved (not saying all, a lot do) and even regular fans who you know what, just can't be arsed singing for 90 minutes - and why should they? Why should there be this assumption from the powers-that-be that the fans have to sing and shout to "help the team"? "Ah, the players are playing shit but don't worry the plebs who shell out £800 a year to watch will help".

FSG have made money around the world off of our "famous fans" but have done nothing to help improve the atmosphere - if anything, it's the opposite. The atmosphere is getting more and more diluted by tourists and corporate. And that's fine - just don't expect a mad frenzied crowd when the chips are down.

And why should they anyway, when for the last 26 years the wheels have inevitably fall off every season.

And it's not like the other top teams in the Premier League have got stadiums like gladiatorial arenas - they're all the same. Have Chelsea made it to the top on a wave of Stamford bridge's great atmosphere? No, they've spent a shitload of money on dead good players.

Sorry, rant over!

• Upvote 6

Our famous atmosphere is based mostly on European nights - not bread and butter games against Plymouth, Southampton and Swansea. It's alright in Germany - tickets cost tuppence and you can booze in the stands. It's different here - you've paid £40/50 quid for a ticket, you get a lot of tourists and daytrippers who don't get involved (not saying all, a lot do) and even regular fans who you know what, just can't be arsed singing for 90 minutes - and why should they? Why should there be this assumption from the powers-that-be that the fans have to sing and shout to "help the team"? "Ah, the players are playing shit but don't worry the plebs who shell out £800 a year to watch will help".

FSG have made money around the world off of our "famous fans" but have done nothing to help improve the atmosphere - if anything, it's the opposite. The atmosphere is getting more and more diluted by tourists and corporate. And that's fine - just don't expect a mad frenzied crowd when the chips are down.

And why should they anyway, when for the last 26 years the wheels have inevitably fall off every season.

And it's not like the other top teams in the Premier League have got stadiums like gladiatorial arenas - they're all the same. Have Chelsea made it to the top on a wave of Stamford bridge's great atmosphere? No, they've spent a shitload of money on dead good players.

Sorry, rant over!

Don't apologize mate,that is spot on.

He still gets a blind amnesty from me.

He's made mistakes this season and put too much faith in his reserve players (yet not enough to play them like in the Sunderland draw).

He also needs to accept that he made a mistake in thinking that the fan culture in England would be similar to that in Germany and even more specifically Dortmund.

Still though - he's a born winner and a great lad and he'll help attract top class talent if he's given the money to do so. Also strikes me as the type of man who learns from what's gone wrong. We're lucky to have him. I've more faith in him than in everybody else at the club put together.

I love you, Jurgen.

• Upvote 1

It simply can't be ticket pricing that is the difference between English and German fans surely? It must be a multitude of things that is probably to late to rectify and get back to how it used to be. There must be a lot of boring day trippers watching Dortmund also but somehow they seem to get involved, ours don't. English footballs atmosphere in general is shit, we have a weird snobbery when it comes to chanting and singing. The Germans don't.

• Upvote 1

It simply can't be ticket pricing that is the difference between English and German fans surely? It must be a multitude of things that is probably to late to rectify and get back to how it used to be. There must be a lot of boring day trippers watching Dortmund also but somehow they seem to get involved, ours don't. English footballs atmosphere in general is shit, we have a weird snobbery when it comes to chanting and singing. The Germans don't.

Having 25000 fans all standing behind the goal with your mates having paid about €15 for their ticket must surely make a massive difference. The day trippers at Dortmund probably sit in other parts of the stadium where they can enjoy their "experience".

English football did their deal with the devil and there is no going back now.

• Upvote 3

Having 25000 fans all standing behind the goal with your mates having paid about €15 for their ticket must surely make a massive difference. The day trippers at Dortmund probably sit in other parts of the stadium where they can enjoy their "experience".

English football did their deal with the devil and there is no going back now.

I agree there's no going back now but there must be something that can be done. I know they won't like it and would probably kick up a massive fuss but maybe the season ticket holders should be relocated from the kop, maybe have no season ticket holders on the kop and have a first come first served policy where only people who really want to be there will queue for the privilege and have cheaper tickets there?

FSG trade off the fact that we've got an amazing atmosphere but aren't willing to maintain or improve on it. On occasions we still do have the best fans in the land, Dortmund last year proved that, am I right in thinking Europa League and Champions League aren't included in a season ticket? If that's the case then it's obvious that not having so many season ticket holders is a benefit.

Off topic but when you think about the kind of person who used to go to Glastonbury, who do you think of? Music lovers, hippies, band followers, campers, travellers and the like. The tickets used to be cheap and people would come in their thousands and the atmosphere would be electric.

Who goes there now? Office suits, trend setters, hip hop followers, families for the experience and the prices are much, much higher. It's an event seen by the organisers as a huge payday, the music acts as a way of getting their already popular music out there to more and get a huge payday themselves and the people who go now have to pay a lot more for the privilege to say they were there. Then they post their pics and videos on Facebook. Sure, there are probably still the hardcore festival goers but they tend now to go to the less popular, cheaper events will local/unsigned bands just like Glastonbury would have been before. They are generally there purely for the enjoyment of the music.

A very different atmosphere is created and at the end of it the people who enjoy it the most are the ones who get paid the most.

Unfortunately I feel as though football in this country is going/has gone the same way and there's no way of turning back as the money people would walk away.

Personally I think some of the lower league clubs are the ones that still have a large element of the way it used to be where entertainment and enjoyment was above the money.

Yes, if they don't want to move then they can keep there hundreds of pounds, someone else who wants to make a difference would have it. I wasn't saying that's what I would do I was a suggestion to something that needs to be done, you must agree that something needs changing? The type of football Klopp plays needs the fans, the fans feed off the pressing and the players then feed off the adulation from the fans. If some fans don't want to help the team then fuck off, why be there?

Yes, if they don't want to move then they can keep there hundreds of pounds, someone else who wants to make a difference would have it. I wasn't saying that's what I would do I was a suggestion to something that needs to be done, you must agree that something needs changing? The type of football Klopp plays needs the fans, the fans feed off the pressing and the players then feed off the adulation from the fans. If some fans don't want to help the team then fuck off, why be there?

People who have had season tickets for decades can fuck of and keep their money? You're talking absolute bollocks. People attend football for various reasons, not just to sing daft songs and "make a difference" Take my Dad for example, he's been going the game since the 1950's, never sings, but goes because he enjoys watching live football in person. By your reckoning he should be told to sit elsewhere or fuck off. Turn it in.

People who have had season tickets for decades can fuck of and keep their money? You're talking absolute bollocks. People attend football for various reasons, not just to sing daft songs and "make a difference" Take my Dad for example, he's been going the game since the 1950's, never sings, but goes because he enjoys watching live football in person. By your reckoning he should be told to sit elsewhere or fuck off. Turn it in.

If he just goes to watch live football, what difference does it make where to in the stadium?

The Kop lacks youthful energy. It's full of long-term season ticket holders, people who, pre all seater stadia, would have relocated to the Main Stand.

Klopp can call out the fans as much as he likes, but it won't change a thing.

Been like that for years. Arl moody gets asking people to sit down , don't wave the flag etc.