You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky/virgin/bt broadband bollocks

Tyler Durden

Right seeing if anyone has any info about all this.

Sky are jacking up their line rental packages as of 1st December by about £5, now given I've just swallowed about a £15 increase due to bt upping their prices for sports I'm not happy.

I dont even have a phone plugged into the wall and only use it for the Internet so having a fucking 'talk' package pisses me off.

Basically id like to lower the cost because my bird is doing my head in due to the fact she only watches the soaps and could live without it all and it's only me who watches sports, movies and box sets on there.

If I switch to bt phone/broadband I get the sports free with it but I'm not sure if you still get the full benefits of Sky with someone else's broadband for eg the downloadable box sets etc.

I'm even contemplating getting one of these sticks what you put in the telly so I can jib bt off altogether as I only have it for the ufc and football but not sure if you get them on there?

Any advice would be welcome

What packages have you got and how much are you paying?

I've got sky broadband. Standard sky tv package. Free phone calls mobile and landline and call divert for £34

We've got everything, think it's about 90-100 then bt on top which is about £20 odd. The fact they are changing me onto a new phone line package and charging me an extra £4 for the privilege (even though I don't own a landline phone) has just pushed me over the edge into doing something about it.

We actually got it reduced a few months back for 6 months but I've had enough, my only problem would be if I switched to bt broadband would I lose features from the sky box because I have that connected to the net

That line rental bollocks really pisses me off too, who the fuck uses a landline these days?

Was chatting to a phone guy the other day, and he reckons there are a couple of companies (sorry can't remember name - Blue something maybe?) who can give you phone and broadband via a satellite dish which works out cheaper.

Virgin are putting their prices up in November too.

I have a basic sky tv package for about 13 quid a month,no sky sports,no landline and virgin fibre broadband for £28.50 going up to £30 soon.

The memory stick with xbmc/kodi etc may not be as good as you expect as its a bit hit and miss. A bit shit for me through a box for me but good for others.

They are certainly worth calling and threatening to leave if you're near the end of your contract. I did recently and saved myself £40 per month (we have Sky+HD, Sport, landline and broadband)

Managed to keep all of the above but get upgraded to unlimited fibre for £46 per month for 10 months, then normal price the last 2 of the 12 months, but told to call up after the 10 months had passed to see what they would then offer.

Spent loads of time comparing BT tv, Virgin and Sky with their respective offers and would have probably switched over to BT should Sky not have come up with anything as it was the cheapest way to watch some football and get fibre.

Virgin are putting their prices up in November too.

I have a basic sky tv package for about 13 quid a month,no sky sports,no landline and virgin fibre broadband for £28.50 going up to £30 soon.

The memory stick with xbmc/kodi etc may not be as good as you expect as its a bit hit and miss. A bit shit for me through a box for me but good for others.

So your paying Sky 13£ a month so you can record tv? Or am I missing something

So your paying Sky 13£ a month so you can record tv? Or am I missing something

I am getting all of sky except sports for £13 as the virgin package for tv looks miles more expensive. I only got Virgin because we have no fibre broadband at all in my area and normal internet is shite.

Got no landline either.

I have Virgin. I don't watch much television and only have the basic package. 

My package is £41 per month (includes £5 for overseas calls).

Is it worth changing to BT for you know what, this appears to be approx 35 per month for slightly slower internet but free Sport channels. 

I have never had problems with Virgin, but they offered my no deal when I last tried to leave them. 

Is BT reliable/ decent service?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I wouldn't touch them with a batfe poke. Virgin is as hood as it gets for internet. I'd say that you should try to get your package reduced.

I don't think threatening to cancel is the way to do this now. You should call them and say you like the service they provide but its simply not affordable and you cant keep up the payments.

Going mad and saying i will go elsewhere doesn't seem to work anymore, the new tactic is saying you are broke and with all other utility bills going up, like gas and electric you have had to review your monthly out goings and need to cut back as a household because you have kids bla bla bla

I did this and i get 60% off sky and BT gave me BT sports for £2.50 per month for 9 months and £5 for the other 3 months.

Try and get 12 month contracts and then you can do the same thing when your coming to the end. 

Or just get Kodi and stream everything like the boxsets/movies you want for free, they are all on there. The sports isn't as reliable though.

BT keep sneaking their prices up and will continue to do so as they have to cover the cost of everything they've pumped into BT sport.

I'm happy enough with BT for TV and broadband (infinity is good and reliable) but I hate paying line rental and this is what they keep putting up - so even people who don't want BT sport are paying for it indirectly.

BT keep sneaking their prices up and will continue to do so as they have to cover the cost of everything they've pumped into BT sport.

I'm happy enough with BT for TV and broadband (infinity is good and reliable) but I hate paying line rental and this is what they keep putting up - so even people who don't want BT sport are paying for it indirectly.

its a right PITA but to be fair sky, talk talk, BT et all all put their line rental up when the other does it. There's hardly a fag paper difference between line rentals so clearly a cartel is working here. OFCOM needs to get its fucking fingure out and do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved house today and gone from 150mb Virgin internet to 17mb BT which is all I can get where I am now until they install fibre optic in a few months.

Everything seems fine so far, download speeds are surprisingly good, the footy and Plex streams fine, only problem is I can't connect to any websites through Zenmate. None at all, not even Google or Amazon. Turn Zenmate off and they work fine.

Only way I can access sites like KAT and IPTorrents now are through proxies which are a bit of a ballache. Anyone experienced this before? I've made sure safe search is switched off with BT and the firewall isn't blocking anything.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I need a new broadband supplier after Virgin Media have been utter cunts in not willing to give me any decent deals. Then can therefore fuck right off.

Suggest another broadband supplier.

My missus noticed this morning that Sky had upped our bill by about £15 for the last two months. Rang up earlier with the intention of switching to Plusnet, only to find out Sky have rebranded all of their packages this week. As a result of that they’re throwing loads of offers about. Ended up staying with them for less than we were paying before with a new router thrown in and discount for the amount we’d ‘overpaid’ on the last two bills.