You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"He had to go, but Rodgers gave us the best football seen in a generation" by Alex Woo

tlw content

Good piece... A minor error on there though. When chasing a goal against Chelsea we did not have Moses and Aspas. We only had Aspas. Moses obviously was on loan from Chelsea.

Agree with tha point in failure to strengthen in January. At the time I said that would probably cost us top 4... It was actually worse... It ended up costing us the title. Our squad was paper thin, and we had noone to step in when Henderson got suspended. 

Still... It was one hell of a ride... and the excitement and anticipation was something I've never experienced. I am old enough to remember the title wins in the late seventies, eighties and our final one in 1990. The thing is... Back then it was just another day at the office. This one was totally unexpected, and that made it so much sweeter.

Sweeter? Kurt, your post reads as if we won the title!

• Downvote 1

Well written piece but once again i find myself scratching my head about comments made in a piece that talks up our squad.

I just don't see this squad of good players, of quality - what i see is rank mediocrity throughout it and even worse mediocrity that has physically and mentally weak players throughout it as well.

There aren't many of our players I look at and think 'i would be gutted if he left' and there are quite a few of them i would happily see jibbed.

We lack a spine, we lack leaders, we lack winners and we lack horrible gets (something i feel winning teams need, grit and nous and the ability to get stuck in and fight) we also don't have much in the way of pace and power - things modern sides need.

It is also badly unbalanced.

It was nice to get so close but surely I am noy the only one who wasnt surprised that we ultimately didnt?

Around 50 goals a season conceded in his reign. Were Newcastle as leaky under Keegan in their close year?

No - let in 37.

They weren't really the ride on the big dipper everybody seems to make them out to be. They scored 7 less than Man Utd who won the title and 4 less than us in 3rd.

They only let in 3 more than us and 2 more than Man Utd.

You would have seen 103 goals in total if you went to all 38 of their games that season.

104 in ours and 108 in Man Utd's.....108 in the Bitters and Blackburn's too.

Ours in 2013/14 - 151, City's 139.

I personally think that is all down to the league being better in 95/6 - tighter games and not as much shite in it.

• Upvote 1

No - let in 37.

They weren't really the ride on the big dipper everybody seems to make them out to be. They scored 7 less than Man Utd who won the title and 4 less than us in 3rd.

They only let in 3 more than us and 2 more than Man Utd.

You would have seen 103 goals in total if you went to all 38 of their games that season.

104 in ours and 108 in Man Utd's.....108 in the Bitters and Blackburn's too.

Ours in 2013/14 - 151, City's 139.

I personally think that is all down to the league being better in 95/6 - tighter games and not as much shite in it.

The quality of strikers in that era is unparralled since shearer sheringham le toss cole wright fowler Sutton zola

The crazy thing is if he had won the league one would be hard pressed to suggest we wouldn't be in exactly the same position now. 

The crazy thing is, it wasnt down to BR and his tactical genius, it was more down to one player wanting out and playing to the top of his game, and another fitting into that game at the right time. Followed by the rest of the team supporting them, and then the whole thing falling apart when it mattered.

Followed by yet another rebuild that didnt actually build anything.

BR was never going to win us the league, no matter what, anyone who thinks he would or could have, is blind, or overly romantic.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell why are some people still salty about Rodgers? We've got one of the greatest managers in the world now, Rodgers has a place in our history but we really don't need to be discussing the same shit we've been discussing for the past 18 months.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell why are some people still salty about Rodgers? We've got one of the greatest managers in the world now, Rodgers has a place in our history but we really don't need to be discussing the same shit we've been discussing for the past 18 months.

But... but ... but I hate Brendan Rodgers, you cunt.

I know. It's almost like these people think this is a forum, and that forums are for discussion. The mad, deluded fools.

• Upvote 2

On that score, Torben Piechnik has a place in our history too, but Im guessing you wont be singing his praises so much?

• Downvote 1

Entertaining football without success, actual success, is no good unless you're Newcastle or West Ham or someone. Liverpool have always been about actually winning things and not being turned into 90s Newcastle or Roy Evans' 90s Liverpool who'll entertain neutrals but bottle it when the chance of trophies present themselves.

13/14 would have been epic IF we won the league, but I just remember a nightmare now of blowing it, losing the key to it all in Suarez and then making a complete hash of the CL money (Lovren/Lambert/Lallana FFS) and the tournament itself that were all we had to show for that season.

It was a team with a devastating attack but terrible defensive set up, zero midfield control and would always concede under pressure. No team has won the Premier League (or the first division that I can remember) when it can't defend. We just proved to be another Newcastle that got close and will always regret blowing it because we couldn't adapt our game. The less said about the rest of his time here the better. 

We can move forwards under Klopp and the ego can take his dossiers and work experience to some mid-table shite and bullsht them for the next few years. 

• Upvote 3

The best football is football that wins you trophies. We're not the Harlem Globetrotters. If we can win trophies like Kenny's first team did then all the better, but that team could defend and control a midfield as well as attack. 

It was an exciting season but it's one we'll always look back on with regret more than fondness because however unlikely in August we should have won that league and fucked it up due to ultimately flawed all-out-attack tactics.

We were better overall in 08/09 but we couldn't get Gerrard and Torres both on the pitch enough, whereas Suarez and Sturridge started most games. A top class United side pipped us to the post as well.

The best football is football that wins you trophies. We're not the Harlem Globetrotters. If we can win trophies like Kenny's first team did then all the better, but that team could defend and control a midfield as well as attack.

It was an exciting season but it's one we'll always look back on with regret more than fondness because however unlikely in August we should have won that league and fucked it up due to ultimately flawed all-out-attack tactics

Absolutely true apart from the fact that I'd argue the flawed tactics are a big part of why we were fighting for the title in the first place.