You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton 1 Liverpool 1 (Oct 4 2015)

tlw content

evertonreport1.jpg

Presumably the players knew that their manager’s job was on the line, as they’ve been getting asked about it often enough lately. So if this is what they serve up when playing to save Brendan’s job I think it’s best all round that he’s gone. I won’t dwell too much on the sacking as that’s been covered elsewhere and this is a match report, but what I would say is that with Rodgers now gone the spotlight falls on the players now.

I’m one who feels they aren’t the problem and that we have a lot of quality in the squad. Not necessarily title winning quality but we should be a lot better than we are given the calibre of player we have. Because of that the finger has mostly been pointed at Rodgers and the players have virtually had a free pass from a lot of fans (the likes of Lovren and Allen notwithstanding) but that’s all about to change. There can be no hiding behind Rodgers anymore and they are going to have to start delivering.

These performances they are putting in are just unacceptable but Rodgers has rightly carried the can for that as it’s his responsibility. With him now gone they need to start performing and displays like the 2nd half at Goodison need to be a thing of the past.

And what’s the deal with not being able to hold onto leads anymore? The was the fifth game in six we’ve gone 1-0 up and quickly been pegged back. There’s only so much of that can be blamed on Rodgers, the players need to sort their shit out too and stop making these ridiculous mistakes.

For example, Emre Can made another howler and while it’s easy for people to pin that on Rodgers for playing him in a back three, that was not a positional error it was just a basic football mistake. I don’t care if he’s a midfielder, a striker, a goalkeeper, a manager or a fucking ball boy, he has to do a better job clearing that ball.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that the match reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

Ha! That Roman times analogy is brilliant and all too accurate! Those stale toffees are indeed overwhelmed by their own bile.

As for the players digging deep to save their gaffer's head well it would appear one or two players were actively trying to help FSG in their decision to opt for a change of manager! Can especially seemed these last few games to be vigorously making his point about not being a natural centre back not with words.. But with actions.

Very anxious now about whether FSG will get the manager appointment right. What they do next, one way or another, will be very revealing.

Just looking at us at the end of the game it was clear hiw far we d come. Mignolet had the opoortunity to give the ball to skrtel and play it out several times but most of the time he hit it long which meant giving them the ball back. When once this team was brave enough to take the ball under pressure and play out from the back giving everybody heart attacks but at least it instigated some good football to now hoofing ball at every opportunity. Sad how it ended up so poor after starting so promising.

happy with the point though and now on to a new chapter.

"Presumably the players knew that their manager’s job was on the line"

I think the issue was more that he was dead man walking and the players knew it, maybe have known for a while. Take it a step further and It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'd had enough of him and were playing accordingly. I'm sure Gerrard's next book will update us.

• Upvote 1