You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers

Into the Champions League and beaten Rangers within 2 months. It's safe to say Celtic fans like him.

Just about par though isn't it.

They had a easy ride to the champions league (they cant complain about financially competing with the teams they played) and Rangers are shit.

I dont really care how he or Celtic get on but i wouldn't say he has achieved much yet. Even winning the league and Cup would just be doing what is expected. Good for him though as it will give his rep a boost and he will get a decent job offer back down here

They had a easy ride to the champions league (they cant complain about financially competing with the teams they played) and Rangers are shit.

I dont really care how he or Celtic get on but i wouldn't say he has achieved much yet. Even winning the league and Cup would just be doing what is expected. Good for him though as it will give his rep a boost and he will get a decent job offer back down here

He's scraped past a pub team from Israel and beaten a team newly promoted to the SPL and you have the audacity to question his achievements?

• Upvote 2

I was one of the last hold-outs; not because I had JP levels of faith in the man, simply because I'm desperately optimistic.

I remember trudging home from one of the Europa League games last season, finally admitting that Rodgers can never be trusted to get a result in Europe and for that reason will never be good enough for Liverpool.

Even against a much, much better team, you should still keep the score at less than 7-0.

We have put 4 past Arsenal,Leicester,Sours and Man U over the past few years and the difference is far less than that of Barca(top 3-4 team in Europe) and a team that would be kucky to crack the top 30 in the UK

How about the difference between us and Stoke?

He's a manager that isn't interested in defending. 

I was one of the last hold-outs; not because I had JP levels of faith in the man, simply because I'm desperately optimistic.

I remember trudging home from one of the Europa League games last season, finally admitting that Rodgers can never be trusted to get a result in Europe and for that reason will never be good enough for Liverpool.

Even against a much, much better team, you should still keep the score at less than 7-0.

6 - 1 for example.

From the interview on the beeb site, he's still in denial about getting humped

.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37357299

Oh i dont think he is interested

Im saying you wouldn't be shocked if Barcelona beat Fulham or Norwich 7-0 and i dont think that Celtic are better than either over a season right now

I'd probably agree with that. I think the difference is that if the team managed by Rodgers played Barcelona five times they'd lose every game about 7-0, whilst maybe whoever managed Fulham or Norwich might lose a couple of them by that scoreline, but might also do something defensively in a couple of the other games that frustrates Barcelona. Maybe those games only finish 2-0. 

Barcelona don't win 7-0 every week in La Liga and, although most teams in the league are better technically than all Championship sides, they aren't necessarily better defensively. The teams in the bottom half of La Liga have a much smaller budget than most Championship sides.

He'll win the SPL at a canter because whilst Celtic are Championship quality the rest are League 2 quality. 

I expect them to finish bottom of their, admittedly, very tough group, with no points. Maybe a home draw against G'bach. But if they did manage to finish third in the group it would be interesting to see if he took the Europa League seriously. I hope he would, because if he has serious ambitions of working in a decent league again, and not just for the bottom feeders, then he'll have to shake off his reputation for being utterly clueless in Europe.

I don't mean to sound like a prick here but I can see you have no interest in them man because you have no idea of the level of team he took over or how they'd done under Delia. They were a shambles, would lose every European game they played (even the qualifers). They lost to pretty much the same Rangers team in the cup semi last year, lost another semi final to Ross County. In the short time he's been there you can actually see the difference in class between his management and others in the league. I'd accept the 'easy ride' stuff if they hadn't been constantly losing to these teams for the past two years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably agree with that. I think the difference is that if the team managed by Rodgers played Barcelona five times they'd lose every game about 7-0, whilst maybe whoever managed Fulham or Norwich might lose a couple of them by that scoreline, but might also do something defensively in a couple of the other games that frustrates Barcelona. Maybe those games only finish 2-0.

Barcelona don't win 7-0 every week in La Liga and, although most teams in the league are better technically than all Championship sides, they aren't necessarily better defensively. The teams in the bottom half of La Liga have a much smaller budget than most Championship sides.

He'll win the SPL at a canter because whilst Celtic are Championship quality the rest are League 2 quality.

I expect them to finish bottom of their, admittedly, very tough group, with no points. Maybe a home draw against G'bach. But if they did manage to finish third in the group it would be interesting to see if he took the Europa League seriously. I hope he would, because if he has serious ambitions of working in a decent league again, and not just for the bottom feeders, then he'll have to shake off his reputation for being utterly clueless in Europe.

I cant see how this was much of a crisis given that they still won their league,didnt they?

I don't mean to sound like a prick here but I can see you have no interest in them man because you have no idea of the level of team he took over or how they'd done under Delia. They were a shambles, would lose every European game they played (even the qualifers). They lost to pretty much the same Rangers team in the cup semi last year, lost another semi final to Ross County. In the short time he's been there you can actually see the difference in class between his management and others in the league. I'd accept the 'easy ride' stuff if they hadn't been constantly losing to these teams for the past two years.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...