You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sopranos or Game of thrones?

Dave D

Haven't seen Breaking Bad.

Haven't seen Prison Break.

Haven't seen Game of Thrones.

Haven't seen Sopranos.

Hope this helps.

Prison Break sticks out like a sore thumb in that list and not in a good way.

Something similar to...

...And the shortlist of this years Ballon D'or are:

Messi

Suarez

Phil Neville

Ronaldo

• Upvote 1

Prison Break sticks out like a sore thumb in that list and not in a good way.

Something similar to...

...And the shortlist of this years Ballon D'or are:

Messi

Suarez

Phil Neville

Ronaldo

Only mentioned it because someone else did on the previous page. I'm not into American television series, I like British crime/mystery dramas, such as Cracker and Poirot.

I think in terms of the recent trendy tv programmes I've watched the best one for me was the first series of True Detective, it was absolutely fucking brilliant.

Behind that, you've got The Sopranos, which was great too although there were so many episodes that it did lag in places for me (having said that the 2nd series was superb from start to finish). Breaking Bad was very good as well although again it did lag a bit & I was never 100% convinced by Walter's transformation from nice family guy to drug overlord. Better Call Saul, 1st series was a bit slow but the 2nd was magic & I can't wait for the 3rd one to start now (next month I believe). The Wire, I struggled a bit with, I'll maybe need to go back to that one. Dexter was a load of shite but it was maybe the most addictive of all the ones I watched, I would recommend giving it a shot anyway.

I have no interest in Dragons & the like so won't be bothering with Game of Thrones & I've never had Sky Atlantic so have missed out on all their other stuff too (really fancy Boardwalk Empire).

• Upvote 1

I think in terms of the recent trendy tv programmes I've watched the best one for me was the first series of True Detective, it was absolutely fucking brilliant.

Behind that, you've got The Sopranos, which was great too although there were so many episodes that it did lag in places for me (having said that the 2nd series was superb from start to finish). Breaking Bad was very good as well although again it did lag a bit & I was never 100% convinced by Walter's transformation from nice family guy to drug overlord. Better Call Saul, 1st series was a bit slow but the 2nd was magic & I can't wait for the 3rd one to start now (next month I believe). The Wire, I struggled a bit with, I'll maybe need to go back to that one. Dexter was a load of shite but it was maybe the most addictive of all the ones I watched, I would recommend giving it a shot anyway.

Agree with almost everything here to the letter. I tend to look at The Sopranos as a whole as opposed to individual seasons, although i do think it lagged a bit in Season 4. Never seen Dexter, and got through one episode of Better Call Saul (i think i started on it far too quickly after finishing Breaking Bad). Always felt The Wire was quite hard work and eventually gave up midway through Season Three. 

I'd heartily recommend Boardwalk empire, mate, although that also sagged a bit in the middle. Still a cut above the majority of shows though, and it always looked absolutely immaculate. Trying to think of things i've enjoyed immensely over the last few years and off the top of my head i can only come up with True Detective (Season 1), Fargo (both seasons), The Bridge (Swedish/Danish version, all seasons)  and Narcos (both seasons were unbelievably good).

The Sopranos, Narcos then Breaking Bad for me.  

• Upvote 1

Agree with almost everything here to the letter. I tend to look at The Sopranos as a whole as opposed to individual seasons, although i do think it lagged a bit in Season 4. Never seen Dexter, and got through one episode of Better Call Saul (i think i started on it far too quickly after finishing Breaking Bad). Always felt The Wire was quite hard work and eventually gave up midway through Season Three. 

I'd heartily recommend Boardwalk empire, mate, although that also sagged a bit in the middle. Still a cut above the majority of shows though, and it always looked absolutely immaculate. Trying to think of things i've enjoyed immensely over the last few years and off the top of my head i can only come up with True Detective (Season 1), Fargo (both seasons) and The Bridge (Swedish/Danish version, all seasons)  

Fuck, I completely forgot Fargo, both series' of that were brilliant as well, I think the first one maybe just edged it.

And Lilyhammer was really good, forgot that one too.

And Narcos, I was gutted when that finished. Edit - sorry Longo.

Fuck, I completely forgot Fargo, both series' of that were brilliant as well, I think the first one maybe just edged it.

And Lilyhammer was really good, forgot that one too.

And Narcos, I was gutted when that finished.

Yeah the second one went a bit bonkers towards the end with the UFO's turning up.

Have you seen Narcos? 

• Upvote 1

I reckon season 2 of the Sopranos is the best TV ever made all things considered. 

You have to consider with The Sopranos too that, not only does it stand up to all the quality TV that's come since, it also broke the mould for TV in general. Up until the Sopranos telly was considered a bit of a joke and a definite step down from films, now TV is considered the superior product. 

I remember watching the first episode of Sopranos (I couldn't sleep and was being repeated on Channel 4 at about midnight) and just being blown away by the quality of it. There'd never been anything that good on TV, even the stuff we used to rave about in the past was mostly episodic 'all's well that ends well' style fair, but this was something else completely. 

• Upvote 1

The disappointment of True Detective Season 2 is like having Jessica Alba tie you to a bed in a pair of black stockings and suspenders and then walk out of the room only to be replaced by Fizz from Corrie, stark bollock naked, with a bulbous fanny that looks like an Orangutan's mouth sideways.

The anger. The betrayal. The Vince Vaughn soliloquies.

• Upvote 1

The anger. The betrayal. The Vince Vaughn soliloquies.

When Colin Farrell isn't the worst thing in a show, you know you've done bad.

Vaughn was absolutely terrible, although the whole thing was just an incoherent mess.

Rachel McAdams was good in it though.

• Upvote 1

The disappointment of True Detective Season 2 is like having Jessica Alba tie you to a bed in a pair of black stockings and suspenders and then walk out of the room only to be replaced by Fizz from Corrie, stark bollock naked, with a bulbous fanny that looks like an Orangutan's mouth sideways.

Who's in the stockings and suspenders in this scenario, Boss, you or Jessica Alba?

• Upvote 2

This shit needs repped to fuck, sorry I'm out.

For the record I saw who was going to be in it & made the decision that I will never watch it, it's like Coppola casting a load of cunts from Home & Away in The Godfather Part II.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea who this Fizz person is but the 'bulbous fanny that looks like an orang-utan's mouth sideways' is an absolutely fantastic analogy.

This shit needs repped to fuck, sorry I'm out.

For the record I saw who was going to be in it & made the decision that I will never watch it, it's like Coppola casting a load of cunts from Home & Away in The Godfather Part II.

I was like you. i remember reading the casting choices and thinking “nah, this is going to be a disaster this". But persisted on, foolishly, because of the sheer love of the show. You start to second guess yourself thinking "well the writer is the same as the first season" "well they must've screened Vince Vaughn beforehand to see whether he was up to it" etc.

The moment the crushing realisation came for me was when they built up this set piece like the great Rustin Cohle existential monologues of the first show about space and time and the meaning of life...  only it was Vince Vaughn hamming his way through a story about being attacked by a rat in a broom closet. 

I wish i could say that was the worst thing about it, but it wasn't even close. You've done the right thing. Stay away and keep those memories of the first season unsullied.

Breaking Bad or The Wire it is then

The Wire is a million times better than Breaking Bad.

I've watched nearly every good box set that's available and I'd have

1. The Sopranos/The Wire depending on what mood I'm in, Sopranos is back on Sky Boxsets so I'm watching it again.

2. GOT

3. Entourage, purely because it's an easy watch, not the deepest or the best storylines but I love it!

I enjoyed Breaking Bad when I watched it but I'd never rewatch the whole boxset it's too slow and painful to watch at times.

Banshee and Narcos get an honourable mention also, it all depends in what mood you are in to watch and enjoy a series, if I wanted to watch light entertainment on a Saturday night I wouldn't pick Sopranos nor would I pick Entourage if I wanted to watch something that I needed to concentrate every second it's on.

The Wire is a million times better than Breaking Bad.

I've watched nearly every good box set that's available and I'd have

1. The Sopranos/The Wire depending on what mood I'm in, Sopranos is back on Sky Boxsets so I'm watching it again.

2. GOT

3. Entourage, purely because it's an easy watch, not the deepest or the best storylines but I love it!

I enjoyed Breaking Bad when I watched it but I'd never rewatch the whole boxset it's too slow and painful to watch at times.

Banshee and Narcos get an honourable mention also, it all depends in what mood you are in to watch and enjoy a series, if I wanted to watch light entertainment on a Saturday night I wouldn't pick Sopranos nor would I pick Entourage if I wanted to watch something that I needed to concentrate every second it's on.

I actually bought the DVD box set of Sopranos- its good but it just seemed to never quite get going- maybe I havent given enough time  

I actually bought the DVD box set of Sopranos- its good but it just seemed to never quite get going- maybe I havent given enough time

I think it's a bit too complex to just sort of try it you need to watch the whole thing to really appreciate it, you actually get to know the characters more than any other series I've ever seen. It's way more than a mafia series, it's genius, it really is.

No other mafia series or film focuses more on why this guy is the way he is and why he's in the mafia, it also shows that behind all the bravado of being in the mafia, family is the most important thing to most these guys. Unlike most series aswell you never ever get what you want to see, your teased with what you think will or should happen but it never comes, it's hard to describe or make my point without spoilers!

I think it's a bit too complex to just sort of try it you need to watch the whole thing to really appreciate it, you actually get to know the characters more than any other series I've ever seen. It's way more than a mafia series, it's genius, it really is.

No other mafia series or film focuses more on why this guy is the way he is and why he's in the mafia, it also shows that behind all the bravado of being in the mafia, family is the most important thing to most these guys. Unlike most series aswell you never ever get what you want to see, your teased with what you think will or should happen but it never comes, it's hard to describe or make my point without spoilers!

I think that's the issue Ive had getting into the Sopranos, I just don't get time to watch more than one episode every few days. Could do with a day where I can watch a few in a row. 

I think that's the issue Ive had getting into the Sopranos, I just don't get time to watch more than one episode every few days. Could do with a day where I can watch a few in a row.

For me it is the ultimate binge watch tv, I couldn't imagine waiting a week to watch an episode, tbh if I did that I'm not sure I'd even like it because you need to get absorbed into their world to really appreciate it.

• 8 months later...