You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frank De Boer

navbasi

Former Liverpool target Frank De Boer says he is ‘closer’ to leaving Ajax and managing in Premier League Dutchman turned down an approach from Anfield before they appointed Brendan Rodgers in 2012

Former Liverpool managerial target Frank De Boer says he is ‘closer’ to leaving Ajax and managing in the Premier League.

De Boer was on the Fenway Sports Group shortlist in 2012 when they appointed Brendan Rodgers. At that time, the Dutchman rejected an approach as he was committed to his current club.

Since then he’s won four league titles, although last season was a disappointment and the club failed to reach the Champions League this year. Now De Boer has made it clear he is open to offers.

Given the increasing pressure on Rodgers ahead of this weekend's Merseyside's derby the timing of De Boer’s remarks in an interview with BBC’s World Service are significant. Last week those close to Jurgen Klopp indicated he would be interested in Liverpool.

A host of former Anfield targets are declaring themselves available should there be a change on Merseyside.

“Yes I think every year it comes closer of course. I’m looking maybe for another adventure. If there is an interesting club that I think with my quality I can make that team better – if I can, then I will take that chance,” De Boer told the BBC.

Asked specifically about Liverpool and Newcastle United, where Rodgers and Steve McClaren have had early season problems, De Boer said: “They are fantastic clubs. Liverpool and Newcastle with supporters behind them it is a fantastic environment to coach but this year it is important for me to do well at Ajax and then we will see.”

Last season De Boer revealed how he turned down an approach from Anfield in the aftermath of Kenny Dalglish’s departure. Liverpool have made it clear they have approached no managers while Rodgers is currently in charge, despite growing unease at the standard of performances.

“Two years ago I was very honoured that Liverpool asked me if I was interested in the job,” De Boer said recently.

“There was still was other candidates also. But I just signed a new contract and I said you are too early at this moment.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11907084/Former-Liverpool-target-Frank-De-Boer-says-he-is-closer-to-leaving-Ajax-and-managing-in-Premier-League.html

Our squad players and youngsters played last night, that team will never play an important game together.

Everyone's saying we should be battering these kind of teams but I don't remember that being the norm at LFC, even when we used to put our first team out games were close in terms of the score most times.

Gus Poyet was one of the only ones talking sense last night, he said before the game everyone could see the game against Everton was the priority and people shouldn't be too concerned with that result.

We are not the first team who hasn't won in the Europa league when they've put squad players out, if you look through the results last night other big European teams lost against small teams.

Moof hes more qualified than rodgers was and so is alan pardew and so is my wife. Just the feelgood factor and honeymoon period will push us on more than flogging this dead horse.

Not that I want him myself but if its him or rodgers then lets take our chances the current man is going in circles four years no trophy.

Sorry say what you want about mclaren hes acheived more than rodgers times ten from his record as assistant to the dark overlord of mancland through its a fact trying to disparage his acheivements while we have rodger in charge is pretty grim, im pretty sure mclaren wouldve done better than rodgers if ee had been here last four years. Face facts face aches we have one of the worst managers in this league.

• Upvote 1

McLaren has a history of failure though, as well as the fact that De Boer probably, I speculate of course, carries a lot of respect in Holland and possibly further afield.  I'm not saying I want him here but that comparison is a bit silly

De Boer has been at the top of the game worldwide for 25 years. An integral part of two of the best clubs ever. 

Unfortunately neither of them ours. 

We cannot "buy" an ethos, a football infrastructure ala Barca or Bayern or Ajax.

Already tried.

McLaren has a history of failure though, as well as the fact that De Boer probably, I speculate of course, carries a lot of respect in Holland and possibly further afield. I'm not saying I want him here but that comparison is a bit silly

De Boer has done as poorly in Europe as Rodgers (having spent less money blah, blah...) I made the same argument when we got rid of Rafa, it's all good and well wanting to get rid of the manager but if we subscribe to the notion that anyone can do a better job we're going to end up in the same position as we are now, as we were when Rafa came to the end of his time here.

I don't think De Boer is a noticeable improvement on Rodgers. I'd put Villas Boas ahead of him for a start. We need someone top class, end of. Not just anybody with a famous name or someone who's 'won more stuff than Rodgers' because that doesn't narrow it down very much.

trying to disparage his acheivements while we have rodger in charge is pretty grim, im pretty sure mclaren wouldve done better than rodgers if ee had been here last four years. Face facts face aches we have one of the worst managers in this league.

Don't see what saying that McClaren has a record of failure has to do with Rodgers and/or Liverpool's current position, especially in the context of a thread about Frank De Boer. A person can still comment on Steve McClaren without having to relate everything back to Rodgers. 

McLaren has a history of failure though, as well as the fact that De Boer probably, I speculate of course, carries a lot of respect in Holland and possibly further afield.  I'm not saying I want him here but that comparison is a bit silly

Hes not got a history of failure at all, being sacked by reading is a history of failure four years at lfc no trophies or even a final is failure.

Pards, steve maclaren, pulis, redknapp, even martinez won a cup all better managers who got cups/finals with shitter teams less money. De boer is not better than the managers he would have to overhaul for top four but hes better than what we have put it this way fsg could do a lot worse, such as rodgers who is living proof.

Don't see what saying that McClaren has a record of failure has to do with Rodgers and/or Liverpool's current position, especially in the context of a thread about Frank De Boer. A person can still comment on Steve McClaren without having to relate everything back to Rodgers.

Just smacks of manager arrogance and nor does mclaren have anything to do with de boer for that matter and it all comes back to rodgers anyway.